P&C (Penn Traffic Company) Supermarket Files for Bankruptcy

Started by jaredski09, November 18, 2009, 11:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredski09

I just heard on the news that P&C Supermarkets (Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, and Pennslyvania) just filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. They said that the company will sell most of their 79 stores. Some of them might close for good. That's all I've heard about it...  

NJxxJon

JN

jaredski09

Hannaford Supermarket is buying the P&C in Bradford, Vermont that closed last month. They plan on opening within the next month, and then later on they plan to tear down the building and build a new Hannaford Supermarket.

vtguy1989

gu4ever

Quote from: vtguy1989 on March 04, 2010, 08:34:28 AM
Hannaford bought Grand Union in Bradford, not P&C.
I have Bradford, VT listed as an old Grand Union location, when I visited this store last summer it had been converted to P&C Foods along time ago.... The interior was a very dated P&C store package.
If infact they have closed that location I hope Hannaford does takeover, It's the only grocery store location for that community. Hannaford also recently purchased the Brandon and Swanton, VT Grand Union stores.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Marc82

5 New York locations and one in Lincoln, New Hampshire have been purchased by Price Chopper.

http://readme.readmedia.com/Price-Chopper-Supermarkets-to-Acquire-6-Supermarkets/1184557

It pays to be a fan of Price Chopper on Facebook.  :P

jaredski09

Quote from: vtguy1989 on March 04, 2010, 08:34:28 AM
Hannaford bought Grand Union in Bradford, not P&C.

Hannaford bought the P&C building in Bradford. Here's the news story from the Vermont Fox News Station Affiliate.

FOX 44 WFFF-Burlington, Vermont

Hannafords announced Wednesday it will be stepping into the old P&C building in Bradford, Vt.

When the P&C closed Sunday, Bradford residents said they were driving about thirty miles to the nearest grocery store.

"It's been a major inconvenience for a lot of people, it's the closest thing around," Former P&C shopper Ralph Piontek.

"A lot of people in apartments walked to P&C, so when it closed, it made it really hard," P&C shopper Thelma Kingsbury said.

But soon people will be able to walk to the grocery store again. Hannafords announced it will be moving into the old P&C location, welcome news for Bradford residents.

"I'm sure they will use it. They will use just about anything that opens up there but Hannafords sounds good," Ralph Piontek said.

P&C shoppers say they are getting tired of spending more money at the local convenience stores.

"It's an arm and a leg to pick up a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread where with the P&C & at least when it was open I could stop in on my home and pick up some things," Bradford resident Bette Lou Smith said.

People say the empty building and parking lot is a sure sign of the times, and are hoping a brand new grocery store could help revive Bradford.

"It really opened my eyes to just how bad the economy really is when our grocery store which has been here forever is closed, it's like 'wow it's really hitting home now,'" Kingsbury said.

Hannafords spokesperson Michael Norton says Hannafords will interview and hopefully rehire some of the former P&C employees as soon as possible. As for a time table the company says it plans to open the store in the near future.