Sears, Kmart to close 21 stores in 2010

Started by Zayre88, March 05, 2010, 07:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

QuoteOwner of Sears, Kmart plans to close 21 stores by spring

Posted 2/22/2010 8:06 PM
USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2010-02-22-sears-store-closings_N.htm

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. (AP) — Sears Holdings (SHLD) said Monday that it plans to shut 21 more stores
around the country.

The announcement brings to 56 the number of stores that the owner of Sears and Kmart has said over the past year that it will close.

About 1,000 jobs will be affected when the stores close this spring.

The announcement affects 13 Kmarts in: Longmont, Colo.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Bainbridge, Ga.; Crestwood, Ill.; Woodstock, Ill.; Connersville, Ind.; Austin, Minn.; Cleveland; Dayton, Ohio; Eastlake, Ohio; Milford, Ohio; Wadsworth, Ohio; and Bremerton, Wash.

Four Sears stores will shut at malls in Waycross, Ga.; Wilson, N.C.; Columbia, Tenn.; and Houston.

And four smaller Sears locations, called Sears Essentials, will close in Londonderry, N.H.; Marlton,
N.J.; South Plainfield, N.J.; and West Bend, Wis.

Spokeswoman Kimberly Freely says the closings are part of Sears' normal operations.

So Sears Essentials will close in Londonderry, a former Kmart location...

beachgal26

I find this so sad on so many levels. Not only is a great store being slowly destroyed, but many more will be out of a job.  (My daughter has been out of work for over a year and my husband had been out of work for 4 months.)  Where will it end???    :'(

BillyGr

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 05, 2010, 07:18:03 PM
QuoteAnd four smaller Sears locations, called Sears Essentials, will close in Londonderry, N.H.; Marlton,

Spokeswoman Kimberly Freely says the closings are part of Sears' normal operations.

I thought most (if not all) of the Sears Essentials were former K Marts - I have been in the Marlton, NJ one and that one sure looked like a K Mart.

jmcnamara96

Yea sadly Zayre88 its closeing it was a freat store one nother reason maybe the marshalls nexts door closed and the plaza is kinda old

videogamer75

Quote from: BillyGr on March 05, 2010, 09:00:07 PM
I thought most (if not all) of the Sears Essentials were former K Marts - I have been in the Marlton, NJ one and that one sure looked like a K Mart.

Yes, that was indeed a Kmart. In fact, here's a 1977 photo of it, thanks to John S. Flack (click to make it larger):

EDIT: It's actually from the mid 80's, not 1977.

dmx10101

I found the article about the Jacksonville one-

Friday, February 19, 2010
Kmart on Lem Turner to close
Jacksonville Business Journal - by Christian Conte Staff reporter

A Jacksonville Kmart is among 13 that will close nationwide.

A representative of the store's parent company, Sears Roebuck & Co. (Nasdaq: SHLD), confirmed that the nearly 8,900-square-foot store at 9459 Lem Turner Road will close May 9.

The other locations that will close include five in Ohio, two in Illinois and one each in Colorado, Washington, Indiana, Minnesota and Georgia.

In all the store closings, the company decided not to renew the leases because of their performance and the economy, company spokeswoman Kim Freely said. There are 1,300 Kmart stores nationwide, 97 of which are in Florida and nine in the Jacksonville area.

Freely said the company continually evaluates its portfolio. In the last two fiscal years a total of 45 Kmart stores have closed nationwide, including 10 in Florida, the closest one of which was in Port Orange in Volusia County.

The Lem Turner store has 55 employees, some of whom will qualify for severance pay and the rest will be notified of available positions at other area stores.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

gu4ever

QuoteOwner of Sears, Kmart plans to close 21 stores by spring

Posted 2/22/2010 8:06 PM
USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2010-02-22-sears-store-closings_N.htm

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. (AP) — Sears Holdings (SHLD) said Monday that it plans to shut 21 more stores
around the country.

The announcement brings to 56 the number of stores that the owner of Sears and Kmart has said over the past year that it will close.

About 1,000 jobs will be affected when the stores close this spring.

The announcement affects 13 Kmarts in: Longmont, Colo.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Bainbridge, Ga.; Crestwood, Ill.; Woodstock, Ill.; Connersville, Ind.; Austin, Minn.; Cleveland; Dayton, Ohio; Eastlake, Ohio; Milford, Ohio; Wadsworth, Ohio; and Bremerton, Wash.

Four Sears stores will shut at malls in Waycross, Ga.; Wilson, N.C.; Columbia, Tenn.; and Houston.

And four smaller Sears locations, called Sears Essentials, will close in Londonderry, N.H.; Marlton,

You can see some photo's of this location as it began it's liquidation process back on 2/11/10. Here's the link to that string.
http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1451.msg47479#msg47479
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

TRJ22487

Man I love/miss those K-Marts. My favorite store type.

Ameskid

I went to the Milford, OH store closing sale a few weeks ago.  It was a Big Kmart, but the pharmacy closed in February and there was no sign of a Little Caesar's.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Zayre88

Closing of Londonderry NH store (former Kmart)

nims57

QuoteAnd four smaller Sears locations, called Sears Essentials, will close in Londonderry, N.H.; Marlton,

When and why were you in Marlton?

some photos (not mine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/42444189@N04/

BillyGr

Quote from: nims57 on May 15, 2010, 07:43:11 PM

When and why were you in Marlton?

some photos (not mine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/42444189@N04/

I assume you were asking that to me - about 2 years ago in April, we were visiting Philly and wound up staying in that area (Mt. Laurel, actually) since it was a better deal than being right in the city, but not too far away to access where we were heading.

I always wind up wandering into stores in any area, and happened to find this one and checked it out, since I hadn't seen one of these before.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Looks as if Kmart is being demoted from national retailer to regional retailer.

nims57

Quote from: videogamer75 on March 05, 2010, 09:34:10 PM

Yes, that was indeed a Kmart. In fact, here's a 1977 photo of it, thanks to John S. Flack (click to make it larger):

Where did you get that date of 1977? I think I see a Super Fresh sign!

gu4ever

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 15, 2010, 12:23:52 PM

The now closed Londonderry, NH location.

d_fife

Quote from: gu4ever on June 03, 2010, 11:50:07 AM

why didnt they leave it as Kmart or turn it back into Kmart.

beachgal26

Unfortunately, this is another example of someone buying stores to add to their holdings and then largely ignoring both chains.  We once had 6 K-Mart stores in the Memphis area and now only have 1 that is in the worst possible area in town.  Especially with today's economy, I would not be surprised to hear that one of them would close within the next 2 years.

gu4ever

8 months later the Londonderry, NH Sears Essential "formerly Kmart" now sits empty and in the proccess of being converted into something?!!

d_fife

Quote from: gu4ever on October 10, 2010, 11:54:13 PM

8 months later the Londonderry, NH Sears Essential "formerly Kmart" now sits empty and in the proccess of being converted into something?!!

it will be a bigger Market Basket

jmcnamara96

Quote from: d_fife on October 12, 2010, 12:32:49 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on October 10, 2010, 11:54:13 PM

it will be a bigger Market Basket

yea i saw thaT a few months ago and the whole Market Basket thing doesnt shock me at all