Main Menu

Unidentified store

Started by Jag67, May 05, 2005, 07:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag67

I have no idea what this once was. It was a Burlington Coat factory in it's last years, but it was obviously not built as one, as this store was built in 1966. Anybody have any idea what it was? It's located at the clarence mall (a strip mall). It' been vacant for years..

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

oh boy here we go with the guessing game lol

hmmmmm. I say Ayr-way

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

wait theres a labelscar do you see it?

A CLUE A CLUE!

Where? lol:insane:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

I croped and edited the colors to try to see the name I cant read it though lol:insane:

Caldor1999

maby a old Jamesway??? or Hengcher????? or a Franks Nursery????? or a super market?????
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

The labelscar is from Burlington. Forgot to mention that lol:huh:

amesman

Well, it would not have been a Jamesway because Buffalo didn't have any of those, to my knowlege, and it couldn't have been a Franks Nursey store, because 1, it's too big, and 2, I don't think Buffalo had those ethier. But, a supermarket, or Hechinger, would be a possibility...

Jag67

It definitely wasn't a supermarket because the layout of the store isn't right for a supermarket.

HoJofan206

I think it looks like an old Ayr-Way as well.  That is similar to what our old Targets looked like after they took over our Ayr-Way locations.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

heres a Ayr-way former one now a Target  in Indianapolis this is shown right after a tornado hit which luckly exposed some of the Ayr-ways past

lol:insane:

HoJofan206

They do look somewhat similair

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Actually now I think it could of been a Woolco an earlier one the unidentified building sports a similar overhang like  this store here
(look below)

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
I have no idea what this once was. It was a Burlington Coat factory in it's last years, but it was obviously not built as one, as this store was built in 1966. Anybody have any idea what it was? It's located at the clarence mall (a strip mall). It' been vacant for years..

If you look at the building theres these odd engraved designs on it maybe a clue of what its was?

Here I'll outline them for you

OH WAIT A MINUTE DARN I'VE JUST REALIZED THOSE WERE MARKS OF WINDSHEILD WHIPERS AND SOMETHING ON THE WINDSHEILD ON THE CAR DOH!:insane::duh:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67

Oh BTW I have bad news about your Clarence Mall the citys planning to demolish the place I just found that out by searching that name in Google

Jag67

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
Actually now I think it could of been a Woolco an earlier one the unidentified building sports a similar overhang like  this store here
(look below)

That's what I always thought it was. A Woolco. But I was never shure.

BTW, sorry about the windshield wipers. my dad wouldn't let me get out of the car to take a pic

truviking05

I think it looks an awful lot like that Woolco that was pictured.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
I think it looks an awful lot like that Woolco that was pictured.

Heck! it could EVEN BE the same one! :o

Caldor1999

maby it was a bulders square??????
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

Naah I don't think BS ever had stores that looked like this..did they? The inside doesn't look like a home improvement-like store. I'm still with Woolco

Anonymous

I don't think there were ever Woolco's in Buffalo were there?  Clarence Mall used to have a Hills/Ames and  I think Silo.  I have no clue what this would have been in the 60's.  Perhaps a Century (catalog store - I think they folded in the early 80's), or Neisner's...something like that?  

It was def. not a Hechinger's as we never had them locally.

store215

Maybe it was a Murphy's mart? This building sort of has the same look:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Maybe it was a Murphy's mart? This building sort of has the same look:

well if it was they woud've had a HUGE labelscar to clean up before they moved into that store!

LOL:insane:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
(look below) [/quot
thoughs kinds of woolco's became Caldor or Ames and the older ones became Bradlees and Venture
Caldor Forever!

HoJofan206

Looking at it again I would say it probably WAS a grocery store.  If you look closely you can see where lights are hanging from the top of the large white area and that would have clearly had the store name hanging right below it to illuminate it.  Now look at the length of the building.  You can see both the left and right sides of the building and it was not "wide" enough to have been a department store.

Jag67

here's a pic of the unknown store at large.

Caldor1999

lowes maby???????????
Caldor Forever!

truviking05

Seeing the profile image, this store strongly, STRONGLY reminds me of an abandoned grocery store in my area. I will try to get a picture someday, but the store in my area I am told was a grocery store--I'm thinking a Winn-Dixie, or something.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
Seeing the profile image, this store strongly, STRONGLY reminds me of an abandoned grocery store in my area. I will try to get a picture someday, but the store in my area I am told was a grocery store--I'm thinking a Winn-Dixie, or something.

i also think a Super Market but there are no Winn Dixie in New York:bounce:
Caldor Forever!

jmn3

Maybe it was a Loblaw's/Bells or a Super Duper?

Jag67

you would know you've helped me out with everything else lol:roll: