Main Menu

Boscov's

Started by store215, May 05, 2005, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixedday

Regarding the Boscov's in Monmouth Mall:

This article from the Asbury Park Press discusses the redevelopment plans (which lacked Boscov's in the plan) and Boscovs:
Boscov's: We're not going away when Monmouth Mall gets redeveloped
https://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/whats-going-there/2018/09/24/boscovs-monmouth-mall-redeveloped/1379493002/

I went to the Freehold Raceway Mall and Monmouth Mall in Monmouth County, NJ today. Freehold Raceway is a pretty solid, large A mall - apparently it's the second largest mall in NJ. The Sears which will likely close next year is only one level, has low ceilings, not enough square footage to have apparel, as Primark occupies the upper level that it used to have. I don't think Boscov's will pursue this space (too small, probably high rent), but if Lord & Taylor or JCPenney closes in the future there, Boscov might make sense at the mall.

25 minutes away is the Monmouth Mall, and it's is more a B mall. While it's B, it has relatively new flooring and pretty modern in most parts inside, but the second level side is more lackluster. It has macy's, JCPenney, Lord & Taylor (store closing sale in process) and Boscovs.

From the article:

Boscov's doesn't own it's building and leases a three story 100,227 sq. foot building. The Boscov site is not in the redevelopment plans, however but Boscov wants to stay at the mall. Meanwhile, Lord & Taylor (80,589 sq. foot building) is closing but Lord & Taylor owns it building.

I wonder if Boscov would assume the Lord & Taylor space?

A couple of points against it though
a. 80,589 sq. ft is kind of small for Boscov
b. Boscov will still be second fiddle to macy's in the mall. macy's has the prime spot in the mall. In addition, there is JCPenney competition.

While the article indicates some interest by the center owner to keep Boscov, it could very well screw Boscov and opt to accommodate a Target instead for all it knows.

Sears has a store in Middletown, NJ. I don't know enough about that store if it's decent and large enough for Boscov to relocate in the event it opts to leave the Monmouth Mall and the high likelihood that Sears closes. The Sears off Route 1 in New Brunswick is a good location, but it's in an another part of Central NJ - not in Monmouth County.

In addition to both malls (Freehold Raceway, Monmouth), there are the Jackson Premium Outlets and Jersey Shore Premium Outlets. Monmouth is a well populated county, but with the competition and possible lack of good sites, maybe Boscov does leave without a replacement for this area.

esw01407

Those sq. ft. numbers are probably no go's for Boscov's as you've posted. Minimum 160,000 sq ft they need at this point.

mixedday

Boscov seems screwed in any event, as it doesn't own it's building, the second level of the Monmouth Mall is underperforming, and there is a lot of unused area outside of the Boscov. Boscov doesn't have much leverage unfortunately. The Boscov building is old and the old parking deck by that side of the mall is a waste of space. Depending on how grand the Kushner wants to go with site, I wouldn't be surprised if JCPenney is offered a buyout deal, limiting the mall to just one department store, macy's.  JCPenney owns it building, but it has coverage in Freehold Raceway and Ocean County Mall, that taking a buyout might be in it's interest. JCPenney took a buyout in Owings Mills Mall (Maryland), similarly.

While it is unfortunate, there is probably opportunities for Boscov to pursue Sears sites in Northern NJ once Sears closes, where Boscov lacks stores. Woodbridge Ctr is the most northern store in NJ and even that area is viewed by some as still in Central NJ.

mixedday

Aside from Quaker Bridge that I mentioned which is an area where Boscov lacks coverage, there has to be possibility Boscov would re-consider the Montgomery Mall in North Wales, PA. Boscov actually operated in this mall until it's bankruptcy.

When Boscov pulled out, it was competing against macy's, jcpenney and sears at this mall, in a side-most anchor spot that it acquired from macy/strawbridge's, and it has Plymouth Meeting just 11-16 miles south. Since that closure, a Wegmans has replaced the former Boscov space, and the mall has had improvements since this time. There is high likelihood of Sears closing in 2019, so Boscov might be able to assume that space, and Boscov would be in a better shape against fewer department store competitors. JCpenney is vulnerable position as well, especially in the SE PA side of the Philly market.

I noticed there is a Boscov coverage gap between Plymouth Meeting all the way up to Lehigh Valley Mall, with no nearby store to Doylestown.

I don't think Oxford Valley (or returning to Oxford Valley) would be as a good as a fit though. Boscov's Neshaminy store is too close, and a more ideal goal would be getting into Quaker Bridge.

esw01407

Quote from: mixedday on November 17, 2018, 03:37:11 PM
Aside from Quaker Bridge that I mentioned which is an area where Boscov lacks coverage, there has to be possibility Boscov would re-consider the Montgomery Mall in North Wales, PA. Boscov actually operated in this mall until it's bankruptcy.

When Boscov pulled out, it was competing against macy's, jcpenney and sears at this mall, in a side-most anchor spot that it acquired from macy/strawbridge's, and it has Plymouth Meeting just 11-16 miles south. Since that closure, a Wegmans has replaced the former Boscov space, and the mall has had improvements since this time. There is high likelihood of Sears closing in 2019, so Boscov might be able to assume that space, and Boscov would be in a better shape against fewer department store competitors. JCpenney is vulnerable position as well, especially in the SE PA side of the Philly market.

I noticed there is a Boscov coverage gap between Plymouth Meeting all the way up to Lehigh Valley Mall, with no nearby store to Doylestown.

I don't think Oxford Valley (or returning to Oxford Valley) would be as a good as a fit though. Boscov's Neshaminy store is too close, and a more ideal goal would be getting into Quaker Bridge.

They also have a huge gap in Central PA between Selinsgrove and Altoona, but it's a ton more rural. State College really doesn't have the space right now, mall is poorly sized, and Lycoming is on deaths door, so doubt it will ever be filled.

giantsfan2016

JCP is not in such dire financial condition. They are nowhere near in the shape that Sears/KMART is in.

AmesNewington

I don't understand why everyone is wishing for JCPenney and even Sears/Kmart to go away. It would be a shame to have more chains disappear. I would hope JCP would be the one chain to stay around for a while.

danfifepsu

Quote from: AmesNewington on November 19, 2018, 06:42:01 PM
I don't understand why everyone is wishing for JCPenney and even Sears/Kmart to go away. It would be a shame to have more chains disappear. I would hope JCP would be the one chain to stay around for a while.

I wont want JCP to go away at all. it has such potential. AT least they are not riding it down like Sears to where "Cut its losses and move on" makes strategic sense.

mixedday

I wonder if Boscov is looking into the Sears anchor space in the Westmoreland Mall in the eastern side of the Pittsburgh market. The Sears is supposedly closing this month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmoreland_Mall
According to wikipedia, the Sears building is 200,000 sq. ft, which is a good size.

I also did a google map view of the site. The JCPenney is more central but the Boscov still has good highway visibility. I think that I passed Westmoreland Mall when I drove up to Latrobe Airport once, but I didn't get to go in. Perhaps sometime I will check the mall out. Wikipedia notes it's the the largest mall between Pittsburgh area and Lancaster area.

And, nice YouTube video on Westmoreland Mall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBSuHWSCB8Q&t=32s&fbclid=IwAR1T7HISrSdDVVkbqS4HPZiVzNieqf15B9km05B7UXcs8D7hYbfRG7Gd6eM

esw01407

Quote from: mixedday on March 07, 2019, 12:51:32 PM
I wonder if Boscov is looking into the Sears anchor space in the Westmoreland Mall in the eastern side of the Pittsburgh market. The Sears is supposedly closing this month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmoreland_Mall
According to wikipedia, the Sears building is 200,000 sq. ft, which is a good size.

I also did a google map view of the site. The JCPenney is more central but the Boscov still has good highway visibility. I think that I passed Westmoreland Mall when I drove up to Latrobe Airport once, but I didn't get to go in. Perhaps sometime I will check the mall out. Wikipedia notes it's the the largest mall between Pittsburgh area and Lancaster area.

And, nice YouTube video on Westmoreland Mall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBSuHWSCB8Q&t=32s&fbclid=IwAR1T7HISrSdDVVkbqS4HPZiVzNieqf15B9km05B7UXcs8D7hYbfRG7Gd6eM

That looks like a highly attractive location. I would say the only thing that could hold that up is if a better location comes open somewhere else, I get the feeling Boscov's isn't looking too hard at PA right now. Binghamton might be the place to watch, downtown location is in need of repair and owned by the city, city is trying to move on it, but isn't making progress yet.

Also, random OT, with the Lycoming Mall in serious trouble in Central PA, information has been coming out as to why there is no Boscov's in that area. Apparently Williamsport got on Al's bad side during an attempt to rebuild downtown in the 80's. He walked away and never looked back.

mixedday

For PA:

Philly- Boscov's is well covered. Only when Montgomery Sears or JCPenney closes, it might be worthwhile for Boscov to reconsider this mall again. It closed a store (bought from macys when it no longer needed the strawbridge's site) there in bankruptcy in 2008 but that site became a Wegmans grocery store.

Central PA - Boscov's is already in Park City Center in Lancaster (area's top mall) and York Galleria.

Pittsburgh-
Originally when I thought of Pittsburgh opportunities, Ross Park came to mind. It's one of Pittsburgh's strongest malls, but Simon decided to go with a transform plan of the closed Sears space instead of permitting a new fourth dept store anchor.

On one hand, Boscov's sites tend to be busy and thus a draw, and it will use both floors also and all entrances. On the other hand, adding Boscov even to a former Sears will put pressure on the JCPenney in the mall, and of course, there is opportunity cost - i.e. a promenade and restaurants might bring in more revenue, even if the mall owner has to foot the costs to redevelop.

But to the point of protecting the current anchors, JCPenney has become a failure as a whole, in my opinion, that competition taking its business seems inevitable anyways. Although Simon's plan at Ross Park and a few other malls (like Ocean County in NJ) indirectly helps JCPenney there by not having another mid-range dept. store against it.

The Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills (Tarentum, PA) has a vacant Sears (or Sears Grand?) site, but that mall is pretty weak. The macy's seems busy though, JCPenney and Dick's are still in operation, and the Sears site itself might not be that bad, but the mall area might not have enough volume for Boscov to consider, especially if it has to compete with traffic that is going to macys and jcpenney. Best Buy left that area which isn't a good sign of the overall of retail traffic.

I mentioned Wyoming Valley Mall in the Wilkes Barre area but Boscov's already has a downtown store, and PREIT also seems interested in unloading that mall which is a sign of disinvestment. I've noticed that there aren't that many malls in the Wilkes Barre-Scranton region but it's a small region.

I want to check out the former L&T in Westfield Annapolis mall in Maryland. I don't know if it would be suitable for Boscov. On another thread, it was mentioned it's a strong mall but I'm not sure if the site is large enough for a Boscov. If it's smaller, maybe Belk as Belk takes up less space (as from my visit in Hagerstown).

BillyGr

In some of these areas, current space may not be a complete factor, if there is room for building to be done.

The Boscov's in Colonie Center (Albany, NY) was enlarged from it's original tenant of Steinbach's before Boscov's moved in to the space.

Additionally, the one in Clifton Park, NY was rebuilt from a former Caldor store.

So they are (or at least have been) willing to work with malls to get spots re-sized to their needs as long as the space exists to do so (and at least in the Colonie Center case, doing so left a fairly small parking area outside their exterior entry but that didn't stop them from doing it anyhow).

mixedday

I hope Boscov is doing well in the retail apocalypse. I also wonder if it will stay more or less in the Mid Atlantic to Northeast areas or venture into North Carolina or Florida, like Wawa, Wegmans and some other chains from north do.

But heading into new territories can be a risk, and it has to advertise a new brand. It has gone into Connecticut and Providence though, and coincidentally Dillard's and Belk don't serve the Northeast.

In-fill might make sense and it can benefits that ads on TV cover existing stores and new stores. Philly might be done, but maybe it would look for another store in Baltimore region. (Although no suitable site comes in mind, other than Annapolis). Pittsburgh might have Westmoreland and another site it can fill. I think it might avoid 25 mile radius outside of Boston, New York City and Washington DC if these are expensive real estate markets. It can expand in NJ though, extending more north from Central NJ.

esw01407

State College PA I think is one of the oddities for Boscov's that needs to be filled, but there are ZERO opportunities right now for them. It's a surprisingly far ride to Altoona. Mall is dying, but you'd have to demo half of it to get a Boscov's on site.

Lycoming County is a similar issue, but the Mall is dying too fast for them to move in, and there are no good opportunities in Wipo city.

shore72

Annapolis seems very strong to me; a great location. In that mall I'd say Sears is a lot more visible than the former L&T; I was never in the latter but from walking through that area I'm not so sure that store isn't 2 story?

Brammy

My Mom and I went to the Boscov's in Meriden yesterday. After using the restroom we discovered they have a large Bargain Room in the back of the store on the second floor near the Optical Department. The Bargain Room is in what was the auditorium space. I always wondered what they used the auditorium space for after they had the performances of Shirley Jones and Elvis Presley Jr after the grand opening.
The Real Brammy

mixedday

The Boscov's in Laurel Mall (Hazleton PA) has a restaurant in it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g52805-d4574181-Reviews-Boscov_s_Greenery_Restaurant-Hazleton_Luzerne_County_Pocono_Mountains_Region_Penns.html

Any other Boscov stores with a restaurant in it?

In a few other malls where Boscov operates that I'm familiar, the idea of it seems possible.

esw01407

Ones I've seen in person:
Fairlane Village Mall in Pottsville
Fairgrounds Square Mall in Reading

Supposedly also has:
4500 Perkiomen Ave Reading, Pennsylvania

We're also several weeks away from the RI Boscov's opening, so the question will be, whats the next store location?

Brammy

The Real Brammy

buzz86us

how does Boscovs keep opening more stores let alone stay in business... who is shopping there? it is like a fourth rate Macy's.

esw01407

Quote from: buzz86us on September 24, 2019, 07:35:05 PM
how does Boscovs keep opening more stores let alone stay in business... who is shopping there? it is like a fourth rate Macy's.

Easy. It fills that odd area between quality and value when Macy's is too expensive, Target and Kohls don't fit, and Walmart is too cheap. It's customer base is older and loyal, and are being replaced by the next generation behind them too. It's also filling the hole for people who hate online shopping, and there is a market there.

They are known for driving a hard bargain with suppliers, will buy overstocks, and supports the community.

buzz86us

there are two stores near me, and i never see anyone in them plus they are really overpriced

TheFugitive

I was driving through Harrisburg, PA the other day and saw they had a store on Gettysburg Pike.
There was a Sears still open not far from it.

TRU7536

Quote from: esw01407 on September 24, 2019, 08:38:59 PM

Easy. It fills that odd area between quality and value when Macy's is too expensive, Target and Kohls don't fit, and Walmart is too cheap. It's customer base is older and loyal, and are being replaced by the next generation behind them too. It's also filling the hole for people who hate online shopping, and there is a market there.

They are known for driving a hard bargain with suppliers, will buy overstocks, and supports the community.

So its just another lower end department store like Sears lol. They do fit in certain markets in CT, I can see them opening up in Waterford and Waterbury.

mixedday

Quote from: TRU7536 on September 25, 2019, 05:42:49 PM
Quote from: esw01407 on September 24, 2019, 08:38:59 PM

So its just another lower end department store like Sears lol. They do fit in certain markets in CT, I can see them opening up in Waterford and Waterbury.

But unlike Sears, Boscov's stores tend to be busy, and well-stocked and they have more departments. When I walk into a Sears, I feel a dull energy in the store. JCPenney stores are more presentable than Sears, but I get a feeling of depression in JCP stores.

I really wish Boscov could get into Quakerbridge, Bridgewater Commons and Freehold Raceway solidifying their central NJ presence in the more upscale (but not too upscale) malls there, than being limited to just Monmouth Mall and Woodbridge Center.

shore72

We were in the Salisbury, MD Boscov's last Saturday and, like always, it was reasonably busy. Yes, the clientele skews older but there was a mix. Prices, if you shop the sales, can be quite good, and they offer things other stores around town don't. I'm not sure anyone else in town offers what they do when it comes to kitchenware, small appliances, dinnerware/glassware, and perhaps more. It's not all about quantity but quality. That said, they do get their share of chintzy merchandise with a large section of "As Seen on TV" stuff, the bargain room (Salisbury has it upstairs in an auditorium, too. I think they may have had fashion shows there once) and its mostly dollar store items. My wife hesitates to buy clothing or other textiles because of bad experiences with things falling apart. And, get this: on our last visit we were looking for a cake pan and one of them they had in stock was Mainstays---yep, checked the back and they were from Wal*Mart!

Regarding restaurants at Boscov's, Dover, DE has one (or at least they did the last time we were in there, a few years back.) It's hard to believe it would stay that busy.

MikeRa

Quote from: esw01407 on September 16, 2019, 12:43:21 PM
Ones I've seen in person:
Fairlane Village Mall in Pottsville
Fairgrounds Square Mall in Reading

Supposedly also has:
4500 Perkiomen Ave Reading, Pennsylvania

We're also several weeks away from the RI Boscov's opening, so the question will be, whats the next store location?
I have been in the following Boscov's and, when they were around, PORTS:
Neshaminy Mall, Bensalem, PA
Plymouth Meeting Mall, Plymouth Meeting, PA
Voorhees Town Center, Voorhees, NJ
Moorestown Mall, Moorestown, NJ
Franklin Mills Mall, Philadelphia PA
Godfrey Avenue, Philadelphia, PA
Granite Run Mall, Media, PA
Colonies Center, Albany, NY
Beaver Valley Mall, Monaca, PA
Clearview Mall, Butler, PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Brammy

My Mom got me some Maple flavored fudge from Boscov's yesterday. It was so sweet. It was just like drinking from a bottle of maple syrup.
The Real Brammy

mixedday

So, the Sears in Montgomery Mall (Montgomeryville, PA) will be closing.

Boscov's once assumed a vacated department store space at Montgomery Mall after macy's and strawbridge's parent companies merged, but it was very short-lived and closed circa 2008 when Boscov had financial woes. It was up against three other department stores, and Boscov's Plymouth Meeting Mall location likely was being siphoned. It decided to stay at Plymouth Meeting where it had less competition and a more established customer base.

Wegmans and Dick's has since replaced that Boscov site in Montgomery Mall and has brought increased and more diversified business in that area. The general area has been growing as well.

I think Boscov's is generally well covered in the Philly suburbs, but a return to this Montgomery mall (and this time in Sears space) would fill a geographic hole, as there is a large distance between Plymouth Meeting Mall and the Lehigh Valley Mall. I also don't think Lansdale/North Wales residents necessarily will drive to Plymouth Meeting Mall, which has fewer stores than Montgomery. I think Montgomery Mall is the closest mall to serve Doylestown.

Another regional mall site is the vacant Sears at Quakerbridge Mall in Lawrenceville, but I think Simon has bigger/better plans for that mall. That mall has an Apple store and is slightly more upscale leaning.

With the Sears and Lord & Taylor closures, there are likely now maybe 5 or so good mall sites for Boscov's to select from in the East for future growth, and it only opens one store a year. Nonetheless, a return to Montgomery Mall might make sense. It's likely not too expensive real estate, like a mall like Tyson's Corner, and still well within the Philly market where it wouldn't have to expand its advertising.

shore72

The Salisbury store is undergoing an expansion & remodeling. Retail apocalypse? What retail apocalypse? :)
http://www.wboc.com/story/41284710/salisbury-boscovs-store-expansion-underway