Main Menu

Ice Cream

Started by whip22, November 26, 2005, 10:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whip22

Zayre88

The classic Elm Plaza sign in Waterville.  I think the sign used to be neon lighted.  Now it has spotlights

Zayre88

Another vintage sign, the Globe Plaza in Nashua NH

storehistoryguy

:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

http://kimsey.stonepics.com/walmart/

BillyGr

This is a seafood restaurant on Route 9W in Coxsackie (just south of Exit 21B of the NYS Thruway).  

A classic neon sign that not only lights, but the claws on the lobster still blink (if you look closely at the bottom one, you can see the neon below where the claw appearrs to be).

This is directly across from the Save A Lot distribution center (which is much newer!).

BillyGr

Happened to spot these in Hudson, at Warren & Third - some very old street signs on the building (Bottom Photo) - the top shot is the Rip Van Winkle Bridge between Hudson & Catskill.

Zayre88

The famous sign for Yokens in Portsmouth NH.  Too bad the restaurant/Gift shop closed and was demolished...  It truly was a landmark in that region.

BillyGr

Here is an assortment of old signs/buildings along Central Avenue in Albany.

First is L-Ken's drive in - this is next to the Smokey Bones - the arrow still moves and the top part that looks like a hot dog spins - next to it is the building itself.

Next is Kurver Kreme - another long time local place - this building is newer (from about 10 years ago or so) but they kept the old style neon signage.

The car wash and Bob & Rons are both just above Westgate plaza - Bob & Ron's arrow still works (they are closed on Sat & Sun so it was off when I got the photo) and I think the car washone still does also - not sure.

The last is a Cole Muffler on lower Central Ave.  There is one next to Westgate also, which I didn't get a shot of - that one used to flash off & on.

BillyGr

This is the Brooks House of Bar-B-Q in Oneonta.  They are (fairly) well know throughout this part of NY State, as, in addition to the restaurant here they do Bar-B-Q's as fundraisers for many organizations throughout the area (we've had at least one group hold one here in Valatie, and I've seen quite a few others in the surrounding areas).

The sign is another older style one (as seen in the inset).

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
This is the Brooks House of Bar-B-Q in Oneonta.  They are (fairly) well know throughout this part of NY State, as, in addition to the restaurant here they do Bar-B-Q's as fundraisers for many organizations throughout the area (we've had at least one group hold one here in Valatie, and I've seen quite a few others in the surrounding areas).

The sign is another older style one (as seen in the inset).

Nice photos. They have an awesome reputation here. People will often go to an event if they hear that Brooks BBQ will be catering the event. I'd be interested in knowing if their restaurant or their Catering Service does more of their business. A few years back, they had had a fire inside their restaurant, had to have been near the indoor pits. Anyways, they were able to salvage the dining area, but were forced to cook the chicken on the pits outside. Bet they had a lot of fun doing that in the middle of January, but I give them a lot of credit of making the best of what they had.

BillyGr

This is an unusual combination:

This hotel on Route 18 in East Brunswick, NJ is in the process of changing from McIntosh Inn (that smallish chain seems to be dissolving slowly) to Best Western, but for now it's the Best Inn err.... McIntosh Western?

BillyGr

One More - The (kind of) famous GE sign in Schenectady, NY (also note the tall signs, to be read on I-890 which is elevated through here, and the diner sign in the lower right corner).

BillyGr

This a an ice cream place called Colonia Dairy Maid in Colonia, NJ (on Route 35 north of Rts 1&9).  An older sign, not sure if it has always been that or may have been a chain place at one time (Carvel?).

Zayre88

Weathervane Restaurant sign off I-95 in Waterville Maine.  This sign looks old and something is missing on top of it.  Maybe it was another name or an older Weathervane logo...

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
The classic Elm Plaza sign in Waterville.  I think the sign used to be neon lighted.  Now it has spotlights

The 55-foot sign that has been part of a 40-year-old Elm City landmark was removed on jan. 3.  The sign was taller than what state laws now allow, so they replaced it.