Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is a wal-mart that was a caldor in southington ct and caldor opened 1972 and was 87,000 sf

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/walmart.htm#

i wonder if it had the rainbow logo at the time it clsoed

the rainbow logo is unknown. but the one in stoneham did. see the pictures in the photo gallery of thet stoneham store and it has the label scar of it.

Caldor1999

here is a wal-mart that was a caldor in southington ct and caldor opened 1972 and was 87,000 sf

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/walmart.htm#

i wonder if it had the rainbow logo at the time it clsoed

the rainbow logo is unknown. but the one in stoneham did. see the pictures in the photo gallery of thet stoneham store and it has the label scar of it.

yea ive sen that picture before i know teh one in westhartford that became a ames also had teh arinbow logo i believe zayer had a pic of it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

BillyGr

Here's a couple shots of the Schenectady Caldor (Later Ames) on Route 7 in the Crosstown Plaza.

Half is now a fitness center, the other half will be (Sunday) a Price Rite (Shop Rite owned Aldi-style store moving from the other end of the plaza for a larger space).

Caldor1999

anyone know he currten condishion on the glenburg caldor in MD?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hears a caldor that looks like it was a kamrt before ive never seen one look like this before anyone know were this store was located??
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears what my caldor wa truned into
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

d_fife

Caldor1999

here is the caldor in valley stream new york

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1141430162&subNum=11211000021

more caldor in valley stream new york

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1141430162&subNum=11211000021

here is what caldor is now in valley stream

iove never seen a target that was a caldor befroe did they take over any locations when they clsoed to?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears the inside of a caldor from 1983 this is teh caldor in Bristol CT i believe makes me kida happy that i was only 1 when the 80's ended lol cause idk why people dressed liek that back then luckey i lived through the 90s insted :)
Caldor Forever!

Fifth87

The Caldor on Highland Ave in Salem, MA was turned into a Target. I am unsure if it was demolished, but I believe it to be altered slightly, as it still has the same layout, double doors, etc. This was a late 70's rainbow store, never updated. It was very dark and dirty throughout the 80's and 90's.
When it closed, the whole plaza died. It has made a comeback, but without Caldor, I rarely go there. It also had cool orange carts with the rainbow, which I haven't seen elsewhere. In the sping I'm going into the swamp behind the plaza to see if I can find one. Does anyone have any info on this location or that style shopping cart?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Fifth87
The Caldor on Highland Ave in Salem, MA was turned into a Target. I am unsure if it was demolished, but I believe it to be altered slightly, as it still has the same layout, double doors, etc. This was a late 70's rainbow store, never updated. It was very dark and dirty throughout the 80's and 90's.
When it closed, the whole plaza died. It has made a comeback, but without Caldor, I rarely go there. It also had cool orange carts with the rainbow, which I haven't seen elsewhere. In the sping I'm going into the swamp behind the plaza to see if I can find one. Does anyone have any info on this location or that style shopping cart?

i dident know caldor had orage carts with the rainbow on it my caldor in bedford hills ny had blakc carts with te new logo but sometimes i coukd find carts with the orange logo they used in the 80s on it they were a dark brown im still hopeing that someoen has a puic of my caldor
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

I went to that target 2 years ago and it did not look like the caldor got demolished. Teh target has the same shape as the caldor building, but the target was smaller than most targets and I heard the caldor became Kmart for 2 yeras. I saw a pictgure of the kmart in salem mass on the SAlem news thing, but I did not get the picture then. IT looked like the caldors of the 1990s. when did you last go to this caldor. I went to the one in methuen mass yeras ago and the Caldor had the 70s orange Caldor lettering but had no rainbow, the store was dark and dingy and dirty.

jbarn02

What happened to the pos/cash registers caldor had after they closed?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarn02
What happened to the pos/cash registers caldor had after they closed?

I believe the stores changed them.

Caldor1999

hears wghat yhe cheak outsd looked like befor teh ye clsoed
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

where is this caldor? I loved the look of the caldors. But how were they able to renovate and remodel a lot of their stores. How many stores never got remodeled. I know that the one in Methuen never got remodeled.

Caldor1999

where is this caldor? I loved the look of the caldors. But how were they able to renovate and remodel a lot of their stores. How many stores never got remodeled. I know that the one in Methuen never got remodeled.

most of the ny and ct stores got remodled withc is around me my caldor opend in the 60s in Bedford Hills NY and it has seen all the logos over teh years it got a renvation in 1994 the outside ddient get renvated that much just a nice tan pain job it looked simaler to the one in portchster ny but only bigger the inside was new and clean i wish somebody has pictures of it:( i still havent been able to find any this caldor is now a kohls but back on topic hear most of teh caldors in MA never really got renvated they focused more on the NY and CT locations because thats were they had the most stores and the most costmers
Caldor Forever!

Fifth87

I was last in  the Salem, MA location around 96-97.  The rainbows were inside, between the double doors, and inside as well. It looked VERY much like the early 80's pics posted on this forum. I know the exterior was retouched slightly, but the entrance is nearly identical. Unfortunately, I had moved away before the closing, and I never saw it vacant. As for it being a K-mart, I have also seen references to it online. I can neither deny nor confirm this myself. There were other locations nearby(Danvers and Saugus). I feel it may have left due to Wal-mart moving into the Rich's a few blocks away. Target is doing a great business there, which is good, because the Wal-mart is in poor shape, crowded and dirty.  I wouldn't be surprised if they vacate that location.

Caldor1999

I was last in  the Salem, MA location around 96-97.  The rainbows were inside, between the double doors, and inside as well. It looked VERY much like the early 80's pics posted on this forum. I know the exterior was retouched slightly, but the entrance is nearly identical. Unfortunately, I had moved away before the closing, and I never saw it vacant. As for it being a K-mart, I have also seen references to it online. I can neither deny nor confirm this myself. There were other locations nearby(Danvers and Saugus). I feel it may have left due to Wal-mart moving into the Rich's a few blocks away. Target is doing a great business there, which is good, because the Wal-mart is in poor shape, crowded and dirty.  I wouldn't be surprised if they vacate that location.

this is what a 80s caldor looked like well what most of them looked liek at least there was one in albany that had this look too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and hear steh inside of a old caldor from 1983 and if u look u can see the rainbow on the wall
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Just came back from the Caldor in Newington, CT yesterday which will soon be destroyed (in early 2007, I believe). I came back to the plaza and hour later to see a police cruiser camping the lot. I took my pictures and took off after circling the building numerous times. I'm pretty sure someone from the nearby Toys "R" Us ordered a cruiser to patrol the area for suspicious people :)
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
A Caldor store

where is this caldor?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
A picture of the signage...
u see the peace of the r thats missing well i toook it from when i went there :P
Caldor Forever!