Main Menu

Woolco

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

this fomer woolworth was in Nyack ny its now use as a antique shop as u can see but they never took down teh sigh withc i think is cool hehe
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Former Canadian Woolco.

Here is another former Canadian Woolco.  This one is now a Zellers Department store.

Zayre88

Another Canadian Woolco that became Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart entered Canada in 1994 with the acquisition of 122 Woolco.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Former Woolco in Quebec, Canada. It no longer stands.

Recking.

http://www.barraclou.com/memorial/steanne/

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

A small summary about Woolco.

Woolco was a discount retail chain, founded in 1962, as a subsidiary of The F.W. Woolworth Company. Woolco stores were Woolworth's response to Kresge's Kmart stores. Kmart, Target, Meijer and Wal-Mart all opened their first stores in 1962.

In 1983 Woolco was closed in the United States. However, the Canadian division of approximately 140 stores remained open until 1994, when it was acquired by Wal-Mart. That company quickly converted most of the stores and became an immediate force on the Canadian retailing scene. To appeal to the sensitivities of the Canadian market, Wal-Mart replaced the recognizable star from its logo with a standard hyphen. The star has since been introduced to some Canadian stores.

Many locations contained Red Grille restaurants, and the food areas sold popcorn, real milkshakes, and other food.

storehistoryguy

Woolco Brand Christmas Ornaments.

theoldames

I got this sign from the Montpelier, VT store closed!!:)

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by theoldames
I got this sign from the Montpelier, VT store closed!!:)

The building is still vacent?

theoldames

I'm not sure, I don't live near there any more, but do get up that way every once and awhile. I think something is in there but not sure what. My wife reminded me that when that store closed, that we were there on the last day. They had a great "Welcome" rug just inside the door with the store logo on it. It was about 3ft by 5ft and was very cool! We tried to get them to sell it to us, but couldn't do it, not sure why they wouldn't sell it. Maybe one of the employees wanted it. That's when we got the store sign!!

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Woolworth sign in shopping center.

http://www.hallidaybayresort.com.au/mackay-queensland-australia.html

That would be an australian Woolworths--which is a supermarket chain there. Unsure if there is any coonection to the former US Chain or not.

d_fife

woolworth big time downsized in the early 1990s and closed about 2,000 stores in 2 years and collapsed in 1997 with only 400 stores left. tehy should have kept woolco

d_fife

here is the woolworth in valley stream new york in the green acres mall near the new york city limits

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1138238233&subNum=50125000001

store215

I heard a rumor that Woolworth was actually more profitable than was believed and an accounting error led to their closure.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
I heard a rumor that Woolworth was actually more profitable than was believed and an accounting error led to their closure.

An accounting error is the most stupidest way to go out. that is a big mistake and those people did that will have it on their concsions, with costing those people their jobs and downtown residents to have to drive to wal-mart or some other big box store

every town worth its size had a woolworth. their stores in the end were junky. it was hurting when stores were opening out of town to indoor or outdoor malls.

woolworth first closed ones in 1981, the ones in somersworth and lacona nh closed then. in 1993 (the stores closed january 1994) was a huge one w/ith closings. in nh then 1000 closed and 900 more closed the year before that,. the one in claremont nh was small and had a wooden floor. the one in lawrence mass was 5,400 squre foot store opened in 1890 something moved 30 years later.

again, an accounting error was the silliest way. woolworth may have gone out any way.

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

HoJofan206

Woolworths would have gone under anyways.....Woolco had gone under way before Wal-Mart was ever a force in the mass merchant market.

ameskmart1

Doors of a former Woolworth

amesman

Door handle of the former Oneonta, NY store.