Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Marc82

The Drust Family who owns Shoprite at 533 South Broad Street in Meriden will be opening a new Shoprite in Southington at 750 Queen Street in the former Shaw's Supermarket, which has been vacant since October 2006. There was an article on Page One of Saturday's Meriden-Record Journal, but the article does not appear on the RJ website myrecordjournal.com

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 07, 2010, 01:35:46 AM
The Drust Family who owns Shoprite at 533 South Broad Street in Meriden will be opening a new Shoprite in Southington at 750 Queen Street in the former Shaw's Supermarket, which has been vacant since October 2006. There was an article on Page One of Saturday's Meriden-Record Journal, but the article does not appear on the RJ website myrecordjournal.com

Good to hear Marc!! Do you know when it'll open?? You should go after a position at the store, just for the heck of it. I have heard ShopRite is hard to work for since it's family owned, but it doesn't hurt to try!!!

I guess it's not inevitable for grocery stores to open these days. Just waiting for something in Newington. But, I won't hold my breath.

Marc82

They said by the end of August.

Marc82

Shaw's Auction:

325 Oakland Street
Bristol, CT

Tuesday February 16 at 9AM

http://www.grafeauction.com/auction_detail.php?id=127115

50 Anne Marry Street
Pawtucket, RI

Wednesday February 17 at 1030AM

http://www.grafeauction.com/auction_detail.php?id=127118

DerangedHermit

Quote from: AmesNewington on December 30, 2009, 08:33:26 AM
I'm sure Shaw's has many nice stores, but they are hardly committed to their central CT stores with a few exceptions . The Newington store looks as if it's on it's last leg due to the fact that there's far less merchandise than there was a year ago. There is a lot of empty space. To me, it seems as if corporate is just keeping the store open to either run its lease out or see how holiday 2009 sales were and are unsure what to do with the location. The store is located behind a new Aldi, however, if Shaws were to decide to leave, unlike the other CT stores that closed, I believe another retailer would snatch up this space. My hope is that a new grocer moves in to the old Waldbaums/A&P in the center of town, so I'm not worried about a grocer filling Shaws if it closed.

Now they're not commited to CT at all. Shoprite's buying 11, S&S is buying 5, 2 are still on the market.

http://www.ctnow.com/business/hc-shaws00213.artfeb13,0,5120876.story

DerangedHermit

Quote from: Marc B on February 12, 2010, 02:42:31 PM
LOL.

Not that I know much about CT, being from that little armpit hair from the south of you guys, but it's basically S&S, Shoprite, and the 800-pound gorilla that is Walmart as the major competitors, right? It sounds like A&P's a marginal operator there similar to how you described Shaws.

Bdubs

Not a good day to be a Shaw's employee, that's for sure.

And going back to what I said 12/29...
I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of this state all together.

Not that I know much about CT, being from that little armpit hair from the south of you guys, but it's basically S&S, Shoprite, and the 800-pound gorilla that is Walmart as the major competitors, right? It sounds like A&P's a marginal operator there similar to how you described Shaws.

Also, there is Big Y, independently owned supermarket here in the NorthEast.  That's about it really.  Even Big Y as a company has threatened closures and layoffs.  Hopefully not the next to bite the big one.

Marc82

Here's the break down:

SHOPRITE GETS:

CANTON
ENFIELD
SOUTHBURY
WALLINGFORD
WEST HARTFORD
EAST HARTFORD
CLINTON
HAMDEN
WILLIMANTIC (WILL BE PRICE RITE)
STRATFORD
FAIRFIELD

STOP & SHOP GETS:
NEWINGTON*
DARIEN*
NEW FAIRFIELD (Opened 2004)
EAST HAMPTON (Opened 2006)
VERNON*

*STOP & SHOP ALREADY OWN STORES IN THESE TOWNS

They still need buyers for stores in New Haven and Manchester.

SOURCE: http://www.courant.com/business/hc-shaws00213.artfeb13193918,0,3515880.story

And in 2 separate deals Shoprite also gets former Shaw's stores in Bridgeport and Southington.

standa

Quote from: Marc B on February 13, 2010, 05:38:16 PM
Here's the break down:

SHOPRITE GETS:

CANTON
ENFIELD
SOUTHBURY
WALLINGFORD
WEST HARTFORD
EAST HARTFORD
CLINTON
HAMDEN
STRATFORD
FAIRFIELD

STOP & SHOP GETS:
NEWINGTON*
DARIEN*
VERNON*

SOURCE: http://www.courant.com/business/hc-shaws00213.artfeb13193918,0,3515880.story

And in 2 separate deals Shoprite also gets former Shaw's stores in Bridgeport and Southington.

I thought a Food Bazaar was supposed to open in the former Bridgeport Shaw's.  I believe a Shoprite will open in the Shelton Shaw's.

I am surprised that Stop & Shop wants to open second stores in towns that are not too big.  Maybe Newington is big enough for two, but I am surprised about Vernon and Darien, unless customers are expected to come from neighboring areas.  Also, I am wondering whether Shoprites in Hamden and West Hartford will have any effect on Pricerites in those same towns.  Shoprites and Pricerites appear to not want to compete much with each other.  Connecticut is probably the only state where they are mixed together anyhow.  For example, in NY, Pricerites are mostly in upstate and Shoprites are in Metro NYC.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on February 13, 2010, 05:38:16 PM
Here's the break down:

SHOPRITE GETS:

CANTON
ENFIELD
SOUTHBURY
WALLINGFORD
WEST HARTFORD
EAST HARTFORD
CLINTON
HAMDEN
STRATFORD
FAIRFIELD

STOP & SHOP GETS:
NEWINGTON*
DARIEN*
VERNON*

Why would Stop and Shop buy the Newington store?? Its pointless, it should have gone to Shop Rite. Within a 10-15 min drive, there are 3 Stop and Shops around Shaws of Newington, one right down the road. I see another vacant store front in Newington.

Marc82

Chris (AmesNewington) and I were having this very discussion this morning on his FACEBOOK GROUP. His Facebook Group is about saving the old Waldbaum's Plaza on Lowery Place, but people discuss other things about Newington Retail on it.

DerangedHermit

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 14, 2010, 12:12:50 PM
Why would Stop and Shop buy the Newington store?? Its pointless, it should have gone to Shop Rite. Within a 10-15 min drive, there are 3 Stop and Shops around Shaws of Newington, one right down the road. I see another vacant store front in Newington.

Stop & Shop sometimes buys stores so that other competitors cannot. They had done this in Miller Place, NY when a Waldbaums closed in a shopping center next to a Stop & Shop, only selling the lease to a non-grocery store after residents complained.

Marc82

Quote from: DerangedHermit on February 14, 2010, 11:48:01 PM
Stop & Shop sometimes buys stores so that other competitors cannot. They had done this in Miller Place, NY when a Waldbaums closed in a shopping center next to a Stop & Shop, only selling the lease to a non-grocery store after residents complained.

They did this in Connecticut several years ago and got in trouble with the state's attorney general. They're so corrupt that they even put business partners against one another. Several years ago they were paying one of the owner of the Shoprite Plaza in Middletown, CT to keep the Shoprite vacant, an article in the paper said his business partner didn't know about it and wanted to end the partnership. They also paid C&S Grocery Wholesale to not make their deliveries to an IGA store in Bristol, so the IGA store ended up going bankrupt.

farmingtonvalleymall

This is a minor disaster for me as I use the Canton Shaw's often. Looks like I won't be able to buy broccoflower anymore  :'(

Bdubs

Stop & shop owns a ton of retail property in ct. If you see an old empty s&s around, chances are they are sitting on it just so nobody else gobbles it up. 
Usually the reason many former super stop & shops turn into a Big Lots or Joblot, because they really pose no threat to them.
I spoke with a district manager for s&s and he claims they actually plan on making these all stop & shops, not keeping them vacant. 

Which, to me, is hard to believe. With the exception of east hampton, it doesnt make any sense to open another store in the same town.

Marc82

S&S also has the lease on the old Railroad Salvage in Meriden in Centennial Plaza where they operate a small, run down store and employs rude people.

AmesNewington

The only reason I'd even tolerate a Stop and Shop in the Newington Shaw's is for the sake of the Shaw's employees. They do not deserve to lose their jobs. I just wish it was ShopRite who snatched it up. IGA, please consider opening a Geisslers or West Side in the old Foodmart!!!!

BillyGr

Quote from: farmingtonvalleymall on February 15, 2010, 09:05:29 AM
This is a minor disaster for me as I use the Canton Shaw's often. Looks like I won't be able to buy broccoflower anymore  :'(

I'm not totally sure, but I think that ShopRite carries that also, so you should be all set.

Overall, ShopRite should be a good addition to the areas (better than just having the stores close or become one of the existing chains).
I assume that these are being bought & run by Wakefern directly rather than an independent owner?  The exception being the one already scheduled to open in the former Shaw's Southington.

Pretty soon, the corporate group will have more stores than the individual owners (after taking over the former Big V stores several years back and now this good sized group).

jmcnamara96

I found from a friend a fire happened in the Nashua NH Shaws 2 years ago found a pic on the web

And Windham Shaws from a Property Company

d_fife

why IS SHAW'S CLOSING ALL THEIR STORES IN CONNECTICUT????????????????????????????? but then that was coming. is Shaw's going out all together?

Marc82

SuperValu the parent company of Shaw's sold all the Shaw's stores in CT. 10 to Shoprite, 1 to Shoprite's Discount Arm Pricerite, and 5 to Stop & Shop. They said they couldn't compete. They didn't even tell the workers in person. They held a video news conference for everyone to watch. The workers are really pissed off too. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=315005390824

Bdubs

Owned by a company not even in this region of the U.S. , How could they possibly be successful not even knowing their true target markets?  Shame shame shame.  They did this to themselves, and should know New England is a very difficult retail category, with certain demographics all over. 
I'm sorry, but Newington, New Haven, Hartford don't need 6 aisles of Natural Foods, they need more private label, more competitively priced items, more upgrading of the stores with the times. 

DerangedHermit

Quote from: Bdubs on February 28, 2010, 08:54:53 PM
I'm sorry, but Newington, New Haven, Hartford don't need 6 aisles of Natural Foods, they need more private label, more competitively priced items, more upgrading of the stores with the times. 

And for all the crap people give Stop & Shop, I think they do a fine job of all three of these - especially the first and third. #2 seems to be a work in progress, but they're better than they were five years ago.

Marc82

There are rumors the end is near for the chain. Supposedly all remain stores are up for sale.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: Marc B on March 25, 2010, 10:24:11 AM
There are rumors the end is near for the chain. Supposedly all remain stores are up for sale.

Really? that would be good and bad here in NH there a pricy store the chain from cheapest to highest is
Market Basket
Hannaford
Shaws
Stop and Shop
but back to the subject is this a rumor or offical Mark?

Marc82

Someone brought it up on the RIP Shaw's Group page.

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on March 25, 2010, 03:13:10 PM
Someone brought it up on the RIP Shaw's Group page.

will all of Shaw's go under??? and why the CT ones??? they closed a few Shaw's combined in these states: RI, ME, MA and NH. why did the one in Gorham NH close?? all they have is a Super Wal-mart and an IGA now and why did the Super Shaw's in Bangor close? it seems the Super Shaw's have vanished!!! and why did the one in Portsmouth go, I never really went in the southgate plaza one.