Main Menu

Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Thanks. It's really cool that Acme can still operate stores in their small 50's buildings. It's too bad none of them are open with the original decor and signage....although the Lambertville Acme had it all the way up until 1999, which really amazes me. The building is now a courthouse, and guess what, they kept the old Acme sign that was on the chimney and installed it inside the courthouse!

The Sharon Hill store was first updated with the '60s signage, then the '80s decor and signage. The only current logo to be found at this one is on the tower. It has many pylon signs and there is a sign inside, all have the old logo. The checkouts have been updated with new numbering and "Checkout TV". The one in Bryn Mawr has the current logo and Starbucks has come and gone. The one in Chestertown has the current logo and newer department signs.

Mobil

Here is an old 1960's fish logo sign on the Egg Harbor City, NJ Acme. Notice the labelscar featuring the newer logo from 1998.

:holysh: Suprising they updated the logo on that store. How long has it been closed? There was an Acme near me, in a former Penn Fruit, that closed in early 2002 and had the new logo. :huh: Another one opened in 1968? and closed summer 2005, with the new logo.

But I was wondering: I went on the Wayback Machine and found the Acme website from 1996, and it showed the new logo. Is the date on the archive wrong? I really thought the new logo was introduced in 1998.

NJxxJon

Here is an old 1960's fish logo sign on the Egg Harbor City, NJ Acme. Notice the labelscar featuring the newer logo from 1998.

Freaking Vandals!
JN

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil

:holysh: I must admit I find it very suprising they updated the logo on that store. How long has it been closed? There was an Acme near me, in a former Penn Fruit, that closed in early 2002 and had the newer logo. :huh: Another one opened in 1968? and closed summer 2005, also updated.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe 2003 is the year it closed. I went inside a couple times, it was a really cool old store. and it is probably the only Acme left with the tall, blue, 1950's Acme sign, as seen on page 1 of this thread.

Mobil

:holysh: I must admit I find it very suprising they updated the logo on that store. How long has it been closed? There was an Acme near me, in a former Penn Fruit, that closed in early 2002 and had the newer logo. :huh: Another one opened in 1968? and closed summer 2005, also updated.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe 2003 is the year it closed. I went inside a couple times, it was a really cool old store. and it is probably the only Acme left with the tall, blue, 1950's Acme sign, as seen on page 1 of this thread.

There was an Acme with the peaked roof near me that was still open until 2005. The only update to it was the logo, the 80's oval. Now Save-a-Lot.

store215

But I was wondering: I went on the Wayback Machine and found the Acme website from 1996, and it showed the newer logo. Is the date on the website a mistake? I really thought the new logo was introduced in 1998.

Are you sure about that? I checked archive.org and the first site to show the new logo was around April 1998.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

But I was wondering: I went on the Wayback Machine and found the Acme website from 1996, and it showed the newer logo. Is the date on the website a mistake? I really thought the new logo was introduced in 1998.

Are you sure about that? I checked archive.org and the first site to show the new logo was around April 1998.

Click on "about Acme Markets" on a site from 1996. There is a picture of the grand opening of a new Acme. The store in the picture appears to be the Clifton Heights, PA Acme, which is in my area, which I know was built in 1995. :huh:

Mobil

Thanks. It's really cool that Acme can still operate stores in their small 50's buildings. It's too bad none of them are open with the original decor and signage....although the Lambertville Acme had it all the way up until 1999, which really amazes me. The building is now a courthouse, and guess what, they kept the old Acme sign that was on the chimney and installed it inside the courthouse!

The Sharon Hill store was first updated with the '60s signage, then the '80s decor and signage. The only current logo to be found at this one is on the tower. It has many pylon signs and there is a sign inside, all have the old logo. The checkouts have been updated with new numbering and "Checkout TV". The one in Bryn Mawr has the current logo and Starbucks has come and gone. The one in Chestertown has the current logo and newer department signs.

CORRECTION: The Staples in Bryn Mawr was an A&P, not Acme.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Acme is everywhere in SouthEastern PA, all throughout NJ, and DE. I even saw a few that will still operating in rural MD (still using the 80's Acme logo in very old buildings). They did used to have more locations, but they closed a lot of them, especially ones in Philadelphia that were in older buildings.

They were bought by Albertsons in 1999/2000. The name of Acme's previous owner was "American Stores", which owned Osco/Jewel, SavOn (a west-coast Rx chain like Walgreens), and Lucky (west coast supermarket chain that were converted to the Albertson's name). Albertson's just recently bought Shaw's.

Logo's (1998?-current)

(Early 80's-1998?)

Most of their late 70's-90's stores looked like this:

Where is this Acme?

Mobil

Their stores are very similar. Pathmark has Avenu, the Acme/Albertsons TV network.  They use the same light fixtures.

Their actual store designs are different. Like you would not find a Pathmark with a tower, or peaked roof. Pathmark reminds me of old Acme Super Saver. Pathmark was growing a lot from 1969 to 1977, the same years of the Acme-Skaggs partnership, which influenced Acme store design.

MikeRa

Their stores are very similar. Pathmark has Avenu, the Acme/Albertsons TV network.  They use the same light fixtures.

Their actual store designs are different. Like you would not find a Pathmark with a tower, or peaked roof. Pathmark reminds me of old Acme Super Saver. Pathmark was growing a lot from 1969 to 1977, the same years of the Acme-Skaggs partnership, which influenced Acme store design.
Pathmark was originally part of the Wakefern (Shop Rite) co-op.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

DerangedHermit

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
Pathmark was originally part of the Wakefern (Shop Rite) co-op.

Are there still existing locations that once were ShopRites? I doubt anyone here would know, that seems more of a question for Groceteria.

MikeRa

I believe all the Pathmarks that were origially Shop Rite (at least in Philadelphia) are closed.  The one location that I know of opened as Shop Rite, then became Pathmark (when Supermarkets General left the Wakefern co-op), and finally closed as a split business, that of Pep Boys and AMC Orleans Theatre #5-8.
:(

Caldor1999

I believe all the Pathmarks that were origially Shop Rite (at least in Philadelphia) are closed.  The one location that I know of opened as Shop Rite, then became Pathmark (when Supermarkets General left the Wakefern co-op), and finally closed as a split business, that of Pep Boys and AMC Orleans Theatre #5-8.
:(

there might be some around me that were once shoprite also im sure theres alot i jersey as well
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

videogamer75

This is the former Acme in Berlin, NJ in the Kmart shopping center.

videogamer75

The interior which still looks to be in good shape. This Acme closed sometime in the 2000's, and I remember it vividly because my mom used to work here years ago. See that spot in the back with the gray wall? I used to be allowed back there to get myself a soda with crushed ice.

Mobil

Former Acme Super Saver in New York somewhere, which was later Jubilee Foods and became Sears in 1995.

Mobil

Former Acme in Rosemont, PA.

Mobil

Norristown, PA. This Acme became Big Lots in summer 2002.

Mobil

Early 50's Acme in Sharon Hill, PA.

Mobil

Lansdowne, PA, closed in 2005. Right around the corner is a former A&P/SuperFresh that closed in early 2002, vacant ever since.

Mobil

Woodlyn, PA, opened in 1972, later Save-a-Lot. This was the same design as the one in Lansdowne.

Mobil

Aston, PA, closed in 2005.

Mobil

Rising Sun Plaza, Philadelphia.

Mobil

Artist' rendering of a typical Acme in 1954!

Mobil

The Acme at Granite Run Mall is a former Clovermarket.

MikeRa

if I am not mistaken, but the Kohl's at Granite Run Mall is the former Clover.  The current Acme Sav-on is a expansion of the former Acme store.  Here is a picture of what that Acme looked like before the expansion

Mobil

if I am not mistaken, but the Kohl's at Granite Run Mall is the former Clover.  The current Acme Sav-on is a expansion of the former Acme store.  Here is a picture of what that Acme looked like before the expansion

Clover had grocery stores called Clovermarket at some locations. Where did you get this photo?!

MikeRa

Clover had grocery stores called Clovermarket at some locations. That store was a Clovermarket or a strange looking Acme!
That Acme at Granite Run Mall originally had two seperate entrances, as well as a Thrift Drug/Eckerd Drug store in there.

Mobil

The store today. This store had a Starbucks added when it was remodeled in 2000 but it closed.