Main Menu

Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acme style

Another old Acme bites the dust... Princeton Junction Acme to close on May 7th.
Check it out... Acme Style!

jmcnamara96

are there any in nh or nothern mass?

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96

No. Acme is only in PA/NJ/DE/MD. They used to have stores in New York State, Washington DC, and northeastern/central PA.

standa

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

No. Acme is only in PA/NJ/DE/MD. They used to have stores in New York State, Washington DC, and northeastern/central PA.

Shaw's is the New England equivalent of Acme.

acme style

Does anyone know if there are any Acmes still open with the 80's look? This pic I have posted is from the Secaucus NJ store that closed in 2005. Acme was planning an expansion and massive remodel but the landlord wound up rejecting Acme's plans and kicked them out when their lease was up. Turned out CVS was after the space but wound up getting burned badly in the deal. I will be putting up the whole story one of these days on my blog.

I think someone had said the Sharon Hill store might still have this look. Any others out there?

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
i afree, i've been to the acme in Asbury Park about 17 times

Where was the one in Asbury Park?

Ameskid

Yeah, I wonder where it is too.  I'm going to Ocean Grove/Asbury Park next Friday and will try to get some pics if I can find out where it is.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
Yeah, I wonder where it is too.  I'm going to Ocean Grove/Asbury Park next Friday and will try to get some pics if I can find out where it is.

That Acme is closed now, since there are no Acmes in Asbury Park now. Most of their stores in Northern NJ closed.

beachgal26

When I visited New Orleans in 2007, there was a very small old version of an Acme store.  While it's hard to tell if the area had gone down since Katrina, I was shocked that it had a really depressed feeling to it and poor selections.

:hurt::hurt:

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
When I visited New Orleans in 2007, there was a very small old version of an Acme store.  While it's hard to tell if the area had gone down since Katrina, I was shocked that it had a really depressed feeling to it and poor selections.

:hurt::hurt:

What? They never had Acme in Louisiana!

MikeRa

The only supermarket chain from PA/NJ/DE/NY that had stores in New Orleans was A&P, via Sav-A-Center Food Market.  The mosr south Acme was, AFIK was Maryland.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

There might be a lockout at all the Acme Markets in SE PA if Acme implements it's "Best Offer" terms and  UFCW Local #1776 walks out.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by acme style
That Acme in Cape May with the old script logo was not originally built that way. It was the pitched roof with glass front and the fish-eye logo. This store has since been renovated and Acme wanted to have it blend in more with the local style of architecture. They have used this script style logo on a couple of smaller stores in NJ after renovating them. Another example is the Acme in Wildwood NJ. They tore down the small 60's style store and replaced it with one that matched the seaside look of Wildwood. It's nickname is the Do-Woop Acme.  

Acme Style, do you know what store is next to the Acme in Cape May?

acme style

QuoteOriginally posted by acme style
That Acme in Cape May with the old script logo was not originally built that way. It was the pitched roof with glass front and the fish-eye logo. This store has since been renovated and Acme wanted to have it blend in more with the local style of architecture. They have used this script style logo on a couple of smaller stores in NJ after renovating them. Another example is the Acme in Wildwood NJ. They tore down the small 60's style store and replaced it with one that matched the seaside look of Wildwood. It's nickname is the Do-Woop Acme.  

Acme Style, do you know what store is next to the Acme in Cape May?

I don't know what store is next to the Acme. Haven't been down there yet to see that Acme.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by standa

Shaw's is the New England equivalent of Acme.

Not really, Shaw's has just been a division of Albertsons/Supervalu along with Acme. In my opinion anyway, Acme has a richer history.

videogamer75

Acme also has better quality than any other supermarket in the area. They are much better than Shop Rite.

videogamer75

I really hope Acme stays in business, since they're my childhood grocery store.

videogamer75

I just heard that they might knock down the old Acme in Berlin, NJ for more stupid condos. Come on! We have a million of those in South Jersey already! Why can't they just remodel the plaza and try to lure in new tenants? I'd rather have a Big Lots or Aldi or something come and occupy the building than have it knocked down for MORE condos. That Acme is a very memorable store for me. I hope it stays up, at least I've immortalized it in pictures.

EddieJ1984

They did in 2000.
Interesting they did 2 things then that didn't last for even a year I believe.
1) Starbucks inside of it and 2) Entrance doors were on the front instead of the side

also here is a picture I found of the acme pre-summer 2000

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by EddieJ1984
They did in 2000.
Interesting they did 2 things then that didn't last for even a year I believe.
1) Starbucks inside of it and 2) Entrance doors were on the front instead of the side

also here is a picture I found of the acme pre-summer 2000

This Acme started as a Food Fair/Pantry Pride. Acme moved from where the CVS is now. Funny about the Starbucks... I thought most Acme Starbucks closed in 2007.

EddieJ1984

I would say the starbucks closed in 2001 or 02.
Now it has some flowers and $10 for $10 items.

MikeRa

Here is a pic of a former Acme Super Saver location at Red Lion road and Us Route 1, in Philadelphia.  By the time pic was taken in 1995, it was already a Acme markets location.  Today, 1/2 of the building was demolished and replaced by Staples.

EddieJ1984

Well the outside of the acme is mostly done now

I'm guessing all thats left is for them to put a sav-on pharmacy on the right or left (they had a pic by the entrance of how the outside would look like a few weeks ago) and I guess a FOOD sign on the left to even things out. The Citizens Bank sign is up, but you cant see it in this pic.

EddieJ1984

Heres a full view of the acme now (somehow pulled this off with my cellphone takin 2 pictures and makin it a panarama)

On the right side it says OPEN 24 HOURS

nims57

Is the pharmacy new?

EddieJ1984

No, its just a new sign, there's always been a pharmacy in the store, which is actually at the right end of it (not the left where the sign is lol)
They are still completing some work inside the store.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by EddieJ1984
No, its just a new sign, there's always been a pharmacy in the store, which is actually at the right end of it (not the left where the sign is lol)
They are still completing some work inside the store.

This store has been remodeled several times:

1. late 50's?: the store opens

2. 1979: store relocates into former Food Fair/Pantry Pride (original Acme is now CVS)

3. 1986?: if it had the Acme oval logo

4. 1995?: store gets the current Acme logo

5. 2000: store is redone

6. 2002?: Starbucks closes?

7. 2009

acme style

You can never post too many pictures of Acme! Thanks for sharing these. Being in the store, would you say the new remodeled look is better than the old look? It seems kinda drab to me. The new aisle signs are particularly ugly. The old look, which remains in many Acmes, was getting a little dated with it's overly graphic signage, but I don't think switching it out for dark minimal decor is the right thing to do. I'll never understand why Acme has adopted the Albertson's leaf.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
Here is a pic of a former Acme Super Saver location at Red Lion road and Us Route 1, in Philadelphia.  By the time pic was taken in 1995, it was already a Acme markets location.  Today, 1/2 of the building was demolished and replaced by Staples.

Why only half of the building?

It was actually by 1995, I think, that Acme's current logo was introduced.

videogamer75

Somebody on Flickr said that the current logo was actually launched in 1992. He said that the Acme in Ocean City, NJ was remodeled that year, and it had that logo on it.