Circuit City

Started by Marc82, January 10, 2009, 10:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

According to an article in today's Washington Post if Circuit City doesn't find a buyer for its company by this Friday (1/16) they will make moves to shut down all their stores.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/09/AR2009010903407.html

Zayre88

Wow! the end is near...

TRU7536

EscheAmes

Wow, No more circuit city. No more firedog anti virus....or helpline. I got my 80gb PS3 w/ LIttleBigPlanet (well my dad did for me for x-mas) from there. Wow, im going to definitely keep it and cherish it forever.

The PS3 that was sold at a Circuit City....cha ching, no....not really. I'm keeping it :cool:

torringtonstars

I hadn't been to a circuit city in years, but my hub had to return a Christmas gift so we stopped into the one here in the Sugarhouse area of Salt Lake City on New Years Eve and it was surprisingly busy, both for a holiday (it was maybe 4 pm?) and also, for a Circuit City. I was expecting it to be deadsville... but they were bustling. This store is in a weird location, essentially the back of the store is  facing the main street and the parking area is nestled into a pocket of land facing all older, residential streets. It also stands alone, no strip mall, just a seemingly randomly placed Circuit City. Weird.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=circuit+city,+salt+lake+city,+utah&sll=40.63063,-111.928711&sspn=9.084515,16.567383&ie=UTF8&ll=40.724787,-111.868962&spn=0.002216,0.004045&t=h&z=18

The marker is at the front entrance, you can see the parking area and how it faces all the homes.
2100 South, behind the store, is the main drag in that area. It is really a good location, intersection wise, just really oddly positioned, especially in person.

videogamer75

No!!!!! Why couldn't they take a crappy store like Marshalls, Ross, or something like those away instead! R.I.P. Circuit City, it was a great store while it lasted.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by torringtonstars
I hadn't been to a circuit city in years, but my hub had to return a Christmas gift so we stopped into the one here in the Sugarhouse area of Salt Lake City on New Years Eve and it was surprisingly busy, both for a holiday (it was maybe 4 pm?) and also, for a Circuit City. I was expecting it to be deadsville... but they were bustling. This store is in a weird location, essentially the back of the store is  facing the main street and the parking area is nestled into a pocket of land facing all older, residential streets. It also stands alone, no strip mall, just a seemingly randomly placed Circuit City. Weird.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=circuit+city,+salt+lake+city,+utah&sll=40.63063,-111.928711&sspn=9.084515,16.567383&ie=UTF8&ll=40.724787,-111.868962&spn=0.002216,0.004045&t=h&z=18

The marker is at the front entrance, you can see the parking area and how it faces all the homes.
2100 South, behind the store, is the main drag in that area. It is really a good location, intersection wise, just really oddly positioned, especially in person.

Drag that orange guy over....to the blue. You can see the entrance...haha
JN

torringtonstars

I've been playing with the street view ever since I posted this (day off and feeling lousy = all day online!). Such a cool feature! You can totally see what I mean about how the entrance is facing all those homes rather than the busy street. Odd store... wonder what they'll do with it if it closes.

CTAmeshopper

sigh, CRAP!!!!

that brand new store in Torrington's going to close and haven't stepped foot in it! :flaming:

torringtonstars

Is the Torrington store by the new Target? I was home in June and went to the Target (which I still think seems so effin' weird there...) but I don't remember the Circuit City. I wish Google Maps had more of Torrington with the street view available.

CTAmeshopper

QuoteOriginally posted by torringtonstars
Is the Torrington store by the new Target? I was home in June and went to the Target (which I still think seems so effin' weird there...) but I don't remember the Circuit City. I wish Google Maps had more of Torrington with the street view available.

Yep, it's in the location where Sears Hardware used to be in the Walmart plaza across from the plaza that houses Big Lots which was Pricebusters back in 1997.

store215

They're done folks. No real shock here. No company in their right mind would take over a chain as troubled as Circuit City in such a poor economy.

Circuit City to liquidate remaining US stores

By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM and VINNEE TONG – 15 minutes ago

Circuit City Stores Inc. says it has reached an agreement with liquidators to sell the merchandise in its 567 U.S. stores after failing to find a buyer or a refinancing deal.

The second-biggest electronics retailer in the nation says in court papers it has appointed Great American Group LLC, Hudson Capital Partners LLC, SB Capital Group LLC and Tiger Capital Group LLC as liquidators.

Calls to the Richmond, Va.-based company and the liquidators were not immediately returned.

Circuit City filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November. U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Huennekens gave the company permission to liquidate if a buyout was not achieved.

tokensafari

Circuit City to shut down
Court filing shows bankrupt electronics retailer seeks approval to sell merchandise in its remaining 567 stores.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Bankrupt electronics retailer Circuit City Inc. said Friday it has asked for court approval to close its remaining 567 U.S. stores and sell all its merchandise.

The company said it has 30,000 employees.

"We are extremely disappointed by this outcome," James Marcum, acting CEO for Circuit City, said in a statement. "We were unable to reach an agreement with our creditors and lenders to structure a going-concern transaction in the limited timeframe available, and so this is the only possible path for our company."

In a filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Circuit City - the No. 2 electronics retailer after Best Buy (BBY, Fortune 500) - said it had reached an agreement with four companies to start the liquidation process.

The company said the sale would begin Saturday and run until March 31, pending court approval.

"This is very significant. It shows you how bad things are for the the retail industry," said George Whalin, president and CEO of Retail Management Consultants.

Whalin said management mistakes over the past few years combined with the recession brought down Circuit City.

"This company made massive mistakes," he said, citing a decision to get rid of sales people and other mismanagement.

What's more, given the credit market freeze, Whalin added that no manufacturer wants to sell to any retailer who doesn't have money to pay for the merchandise.

At the same time, Whalin said there's still a very slim chance that one or more firms that have expressed an interest in buying Circuit City could still buy it out of bankruptcy over the next few days.

"I wouldn't say it's completely over yet for Circuit City, but it's almost over," Whalin said

NJxxJon

Well, Ill tell my pops NOT to get a Flat Screen LCD TV there then..... since the warranty will be useless..... :hurt:
JN

patk

NOOOOOO!
well good bye cc :hurt:

Caldor1999

well this is sad all thoughs locations will be such an eye sore wonder whos gonna be next
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

C. Fontaine

Yup, just saw it on Fox.

videogamer75

What a bunch of bull crap! Why couldnt some garbage store like Macys go instead! Well, R.I.P. Circuit City. I guess the mall in Heaven is going to get another great anchor store

I'm going to my nearest CC tomorrow to take pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
well this is sad all thoughs locations will be such an eye sore wonder whos gonna be next

I think its more sad that thousands are losing their jobs and yet another good store is going away forever! Aargh at least theres always Best buy

captjack

Went into the Sugarhouse (Salt Lake City) store and it was a ghosttown with perhaps three associates in the store. This was a Saturday afternoon one other customer. I was looking for a Newsboys CD, they had one! But the selection in the display cases was very sparce and they had moved them and made wider aisles. Obviously with less stock and no money to buy stock, the alternative was to eliminate displays. Trying to create the illusion that alls well. Very sad indeed.
What will become of the market place when we a selection of a very few retailers ? Price fixing?
Not a good start to this year for all in retail, Godspeed jack.:mad:
BTW This stores location could not be any worse, a store front on the back of the building facing a parking lot and exits to the residential neighborhood?

DerangedHermit

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
I think its more sad that thousands are losing their jobs and yet another good store is going away forever! Aargh at least theres always Best buy

Circuit City sucked. No selection, negative customer service, and the stores were pigstys.

Caldor1999

What a bunch of bull crap! Why couldnt some garbage store like Macys go instead! Well, R.I.P. Circuit City. I guess the mall in Heaven is going to get another great anchor store

I'm going to my nearest CC tomorrow to take pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

i doubt macys will ever go out there not that bad if theres any dept store im woryed about its sears
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dmx10101

sad to see them go, they were a decent store to shop at.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

torringtonstars

whoa, captjack, read my post a little further up the page, talking about the same oddly placed circuit city! what's another SLC resident doing on an Ames messageboard?

how funny!

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by DerangedHermit

Circuit City sucked. No selection, negative customer service, and the stores were pigstys.

Well I guess you're right about the customer service not being great, but I have found some good deals at my CC and the store near me is very clean. And I've only been to one CC with absolutely horrible customer service, there's another one I go way more often to that seems to be better.  Its just that I grew up going to the store and it really sucks to see another chain close up. But at least Best Buy is doing alright.

Caldor1999 I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I think all the department stores are in trouble, in a credit crunch and troubling economy like this whos going to get hit the hardest? Expensive department stores, and Macys falls into that category. I'm not saying they'll go out, but don't rule out the possibility. The same goes for Sears and JCpenney.

retailfan

circuit citys web sight has now been taken down  ad updated  s of 6:00 pm  i guess the canada stores are staying open for now

C. Fontaine

I am curious as to what is going to happen to my credit card with them?

EddieJ1984

I liked circuit city, such a shame to see its going out of business.

captjack

Well it's a long story that began when I happened upon the phrase red barn as it the old chicken drive ins. There was a link to labelscar, deadmalls and then ames. Having worked briefly in retail, part time at sears outlet in slc 1300 s and 200 w. Just one of those great things about the internet. You can find information on anything and everything. This subject is addicting but more over heart breaking having known many who are now looking for positions to survive this economic problems.
So there ya have it, an old firefighter who has always had a part time job to get by as my baby birds have yet to fly the coop! Again hope for the best for all who have lost there jobs and careers in the past few years. Godspeed, jack.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by retailfan
circuit citys web sight has now been taken down  ad updated  s of 6:00 pm  i guess the canada stores are staying open for now

In Canada, Circuit City does not have large stores.  Nearly all Radio Shack stores in Canada have been acquired and renamed "The Source by Circuit City".  Howeber, the division is also under chapter 11 but the stores are staying open.

shammes

No prob with your Circuit City Visa card.  It's issued by Chase and as such the store closing will have no bearing on your terms with them.