Which malls have the most vacancies

Started by TRU7536, November 16, 2008, 10:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

Ok, i was watching NBC in Denver and they were talking about a company that owns a mall their. The company is declaring bankruptcy  due to so many vacant spaces. So this had me thinking, which malls have seen massive empty stores? I heard Waterbury been hit hard and last time i went to Meriden it looked dead as well.

frameguy2704

Rhode Island Mall has  90% vacant space, they have had this issue for many many years. Kohls and Walmart are anchors at one end and Sears at the other end. But only Sears opens up into the mall.

C. Fontaine

Before the Worcester Common Outlets closed I would say they have over 90% vacant space.  There was almost nothing as far as businesses in the mall. Here's a few pictures I took just before they closed for good.  Also the mall is still there as of 3 months ago...

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/other/wco/

kendra

The Airport Mall here in Bangor has seen its fair share, for certain...it's doing well now, but it's had to deal with anchor closings as well as a good chunk of its interior stores shuttering as well. The only stores I can think of in there now that are either a) original to the mall or b) at least there since I was a small child in the early 80s would be Radio Shack and Mr. Paperback...the other stores currently in there (aside from the Hannaford at the end of the plaza which was once a Doug's Shop 'n' Save, but that change was more nominal than anything else) are not original. While even at its peak of vacancies (I am going to guess offhand that said peak would be in the very early part of this decade, after Ames closed and the primary anchor space became entirely vacant, though it had definitely started to significantly decline in the late 1990s), the number of empty storefronts would not match that of a larger mall, it still probably held a considerable number percentage-wise.

The good news is, lately I've actually had to make an effort to locate a decent parking spot there, it's so busy! :dizzy:

KmartDanny09

The former Southwyck Shopping Center in Toledo, OH is probably the most vacant mall I've ever seen... or heard of.

At the time of the closing, which was last May, the store only had 3 stores left. A GNC, World Nail's nail salon and a Deb's. The center had spaces for between 80 to 110 stores, but I can't remeber.

Built in the 1970's the center hadn't once been remodeled or updated in any way. In fact, it was called a tribute to '70s style by several dead mall websites. In fact, many of the store fronts had been vacant since the late 1980's.

TenPoundHammer

Does 100% vacant count? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

wwefan101

ift 100 pecednt empty counts thers a plazza in aburn that was a  staples and  soem other store with is  100 pecent empty   otherthen that  Worcester Common Outlets  wich isclosed   with they havent done any thing with what a waiste of space

TenPoundHammer

In that case, Fort Saginaw Mall has been 100% vacant since 2003 when its Kmart closed.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Port Plaza Mall (later known as Washington Commons) in Downtown Green Bay saw lots of vacancies when Boston Store closed in 2000. The mall closed in 2006.

Boston Store - Closed 2000
Younkers - Closed 2004
JCPenney - Closed 2005

rjstheiv

Im thinking Century III mall.:(:(:(

Ameskid

Beechmont Mall only had about 10 stores left before its closing on '03.

That's INCLUDING the anchors; it was lucky, since 2/3 of them were (and are) still open (Parisian closed and Kmart and Lazarus stayed open).
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

HeatherM

http://www.warrenmallpa.com/directory_listing.php?PHPSESSID=04ba2f2a27a98786d9920c8d16c8712a

It is small to begin with but here is the listing it boasts on the site..unfortunately it hasn't been updated to show what is really left.

Open:
anything marked OP. Those are off the main property.

Radio Shack
Big Lots (anchor) all alone on the one end.
Bon-Ton
K-Mart (anchor)
Goodwill Store now resides in A1 instead of B5
Napoli Pizza
Master cuts

This is as of last week since Gamestop closed their mall store last Monday, Shoe Dept went out sometime just before that. Ofcourse Kmart and Bon-ton are both ify right now so we'll see. It is owned by Zamias who also owns this one. http://deadmalls.com/malls/clearfield_mall.html  People at Big Lots told me the rent is horrible...

ETA 10/4- Not my pics and remember I mentioned Gamestop and Shoe Dept are gone but here is basically what it is like in there. I went in there yesterday and it is depressing...no music...no people really...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r_bowley/sets/72157611698602183/

gu4ever

The Bedford Mall in Bedford,NH has seen trouble with occupancy for many years. I remember in the late 70's the mall was almost completly full. However once locations became vacant they seemed to stay that way, or were leased for a short time before becoming empty again.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

C3Nostalgia

QuoteOriginally posted by rjstheiv
Im thinking Century III mall.:(:(:(

Century III may have a lot of vacant space, but Washington Mall in Washington, PA might have more vacant space by percentage.  WM has Toys R US, Jo-Ann Fabrics, a nail salon, a SCUBA shop, and a couple other small shops.  Washington is mainly a 1 floor mall and is much smaller than Century III, which is a three floor split-level structure.

Marc82

The Norwichtown Mall in Norwich, CT. Just 5 tenants. Stop & Shop (No Mall Entrance), Dollar Tree, Dressbarn, GNC, and Fancy Nails.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
The Bedford Mall in Bedford,NH has seen trouble with occupancy for many years. I remember in the late 70's the mall was almost completly full. However once locations became vacant they seemed to stay that way, or were leased for a short time before becoming empty again.

it only has 5 stores left and the primary stores with mall entrances are vacant: MVP AND LINENS N THINGS

maryash

I agree with Century III mall..I merely see some customers there..

Regards,
Pret travaux      

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by maryash

Regards,
Pret travaux      

the Bedford mall had 5 stores left when I went there 2 moths ago and the century mall was very vacant when I went

nims57

The malls around Philadelphia are not the same anymore.

Springfield Mall: John Wanamaker/Strawbridge's, Bamberger's, Burger King, McDonald's, Rite Aid, Chadds Ford Winery store, post office, Waldenbooks/Borders Express, Lechters Housewares

Granite Run Mall: Burger King, McDonald's, Sbarro, Starbucks, Lechters Housewares, Perkins Tobacco, Eckerd, Red Lobster, other restaurants

Plymouth Meeting Mall: Starbucks, CVS (non-pharmacy), IKEA

King of Prussia Mall: amphitheater/John Wanamaker/Strawbridge's, Bamberger's, The Sharper Image, Organized Living, Woolworth, Acme, OfficeMax (nearby), Lane Furniture (nearby), Home Depot (nearby), Denny's (nearby), King of Prussia Diner (nearby), King of Prussia Bar (nearby), McIntosh Inn (nearby), Hooters (nearby), Pizza Hut (nearby), Linens 'N Things (nearby), Staples (nearby)

Exton Square Mall: Chadds Ford Winery store

Brandywine Town Center: Target Greatland, Cost Plus World Market, Lane Furniture, Drexel Heritage Furniture, Kincaid Furniture, HomeLife Furniture, Levitz Furniture, Annie Sez, Tweeter

Lehigh Valley Mall: Strawbridge & Clothier/Strawbridge's, John Wanamaker/Strawbridge's, Bamberger's

Lebanon Valley Mall: JCPenney, Ames

Berkshire Mall: Rite Aid, Tobacco Barrel, Acme (nearby)

West Manchester Mall: Gaylords/Gee Bee/Value City

Cumberland Mall: Bradlees, Dry Goods, Value City, Burger King

Shore Mall: Sears, JCPenney, Grant City, Food Fair/Pantry Pride, Foodtown, Circuit City, Steinbach, Value City, Acme (nearby), Rickel (nearby), Office Depot (nearby), Cox Floors To Go (nearby), Bradlees (nearby), Stop & Shop (nearby), 2 Mobil stations (nearby).

nims57

We have a lot less variety in Houston too.

Willowbrook Mall: Macy's, Foley's, Lord & Taylor, AMC Theatres, Romano's Macaroni Grill, Lechters Housewares, Sam Goody, Bailey Banks & Biddle, Just for Feet

Woodlands Mall: Foley's, Mervyns, Wicks 'n Sticks, Lechters Housewares

gu4ever

Yuck.... The entire mall had a horrific stench of mold, which could be part of the reason there are so many vacant stores.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by maryash

Regards,
Pret travaux      

this post needs to be deleted