Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeg

Shop Rite of Cromwell CT is slated to open in Feb/March 2019 :-) :-)

JJBers

Quote from: Joeg on July 26, 2018, 04:14:27 PM
It's taken long enough.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

BillyGr

The ShopRite in Greenport (Hudson) NY will be moving up the road into the recently closed Price Chopper location.

They will be keeping the Price Chopper Pharmacy (since the current ShopRite doesn't have one) and also taking over space that was once a Fashion Bug (more recently a thrift store) next door to make a larger store.  Supposed to open by the end of the year.

Price Chopper here closed due to lack of business, starting when the Walmart that was once also in the plaza (which consists of only those three store spaces, plus a couple smaller things out near the road) moved up the road to build a Supercenter.  One of the smaller buildings is also empty (a former Dollar Tree, that also relocated to the new Walmart shopping plaza).

giantsfan2016

Quote from: JJBers on September 30, 2018, 11:27:08 AM
It's taken long enough.

They may have made the announcement about the store back in January 2017, but they didn't sign the lease until April 2018, so Feburary/March 2019 would be 10/11 months after the lease was signed.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on September 30, 2018, 06:42:38 PM
Quote from: JJBers on September 30, 2018, 11:27:08 AM
It's taken long enough.

They may have made the announcement about the store back in January 2017, but they didn't sign the lease until April 2018, so Feburary/March 2019 would be 10/11 months after the lease was signed.

Back in January, 2017, by the way it sounded in the announcement, Kmart had to be out of there as soon as possible (that's why I assumed they closed a month before the other locations on the same list) so ShopRite would sign a lease to get the store operational for late 2017/early 2018. That was not the case and that probably had to do with the traffic issue. Kmart could have stayed one more year without any interruption. The construction is slow moving, but progress is being made. I hope Feb/March 2019 will be a reality for an opening.

giantsfan2016

Southington ShopRite replaced the old self checkout terminals with new ones. They work much better. After all I think they salvaged them from their Meriden store when they closed in 2010. All the new equipment went to their Wallingford store.

giantsfan2016

I seriously doubt this will happen. I went through the plaza last week and they have a long way to go.

Joeg

Well, you never know, maybe summer 2019??

mixedday

One of the Sears closing is in Stroud Mall in the Pocono area of PA.

I looked up the mall and apparently ShopRite will join as an anchor in 2019.
http://www.poconorecord.com/news/20180731/shoprite-to-open-in-stroud-mall

I wonder if the ShopRite will have a mall entrance, like how some Targets have in malls? I kind of doubt it, and probably it will be like the Walmart in Philadelphia Mills or Wegmans in Montgomery Mall where you have to go outside and then use a store to outside entrance.

standa

Quote from: mixedday on November 13, 2018, 03:56:23 PM

I wonder if the ShopRite will have a mall entrance, like how some Targets have in malls? I kind of doubt it, and probably it will be like the Walmart in Philadelphia Mills or Wegmans in Montgomery Mall where you have to go outside and then use a store to outside entrance.

Here is a Shoprite with a mall entrance (White Plains, NY).

see link

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/shoprite-of-white-plains-white-plains-2?select=_1q4D1uHoIxGgrplma6vgQ

BillyGr

The answer is (as it is about 99% of the time with ShopRite) it depends.

Since different owners may have different ideas, there is no good way to be sure until they say one way or the other.

With that being said, it makes sense to offer such an interior entry, both for those in the mall (workers who might run in for something on a break, particularly if they offer a fairly large ready to eat section) and those shopping (both as another eating option, and for them to park near that area, so as to hit the supermarket on their way out to go home, but be able to come in from the mall and then exit to the outside, as people often do with the other large anchor stores).

giantsfan2016

The Stop and Shop Strike seems to be having an affect. The Southington ShopRite was extremely busy today. When I popped in after 12 there were no shopping carts at all. I've shopped there before after 12 on a Sunday and they were never out of carts.

Joeg

Is Shoprite coming to Vernon CT??

MikeRa

Quote from: mixedday on November 13, 2018, 03:56:23 PM

The old Shop Rite/Pathmark at Moorestown Mall (since replaced by Regal Moorestown Stadium 12, which also replaced RKO Stanley Warner's Plaza Theatre/United Artists Moorestown 7) had a mall entrance.  So did the Food Fair at Cherry Hill Mall (replaced by JCPenney)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on April 22, 2019, 08:27:13 AM

What gave you the idea they were coming to Vernon?

Joeg

The people in the East Hartford store were talking about it, they were taking over an old Big Y (There is no Big Y in Vernon) I thin it is the old K-Mart right across from S&S.  That's what I heard, don't know if it is true, but it would be great!!  Shoprite of Cromwell opening this month??

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on May 02, 2019, 06:03:02 AM
The people in the East Hartford store were talking about it, they were taking over an old Big Y (There is no Big Y in Vernon) I thin it is the old K-Mart right across from S&S.  That's what I heard, don't know if it is true, but it would be great!!  Shoprite of Cromwell opening this month??

Maybe they were talking about Cromwell? Since it too was home to Kmart? I'm thinking SR wouldn't move in to that Kmart as they have S&S next to it (even though that's the same situation in Cromwell) but also has Price Chopper one plaza over and Big Y in Manchester down the road. It would fit in if Price Chopper decided to close.

Bdubs

Quote from: Joeg on April 22, 2019, 08:27:13 AM
Looks like Price Chopper is closing, and Shop Rite is taking most of the space. That is a huge store, looks like it’ll be divided up to accommodate another TJX family store.

retailisking

It's official - ShopRite will replace the Vernon Price Chopper. Spot the misheard store name...
http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20190507/NEWS01/190509940/shoprite-to-replace-price-choppers-vernon-location

Joeg

I told you that Shoprite is coming to Vernon!!!  I see them opening by Labor Day weekend.  Is Price Chopper pulling out of CT?? Windsor, Middletown, Torrington, Newington and Oxford would be good Shoprite locations, maybe Oxford going to Big Y??

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on May 09, 2019, 09:09:20 AM
I told you that Shoprite is coming to Vernon!!!  I see them opening by Labor Day weekend.  Is Price Chopper pulling out of CT?? Windsor, Middletown, Torrington, Newington and Oxford would be good Shoprite locations, maybe Oxford going to Big Y??

I would say Oxford and Storrs (and Torrington I believe) would be the last to go since they invested in to remodeling them to Market 32. I also would say Putnam, Windsor and Middletown may stick around as is. Newington would be the great ShopRite candidate. Then we have Bristol and Southington who I believe are no better off in the long run than Vernon was, but they already have ShopRite. Also both towns would probably not support a Big Y price wise. They may stick around in their current state or be downsized now and perhaps closed down the line. I don't see Price Chopper in the state for long, but best case scenario would have them keeping the Market 32 stores around.

Joeg

I think Big Y would go into Southington and Oxford.  Windsor, Middletown, Torrington and especially Windsor would make great Shoprite locations, Shoprite would have to minimal work to do in the  Middletown and Torrington stores, Windsor could use a major remodel, plus these locations would have a Shoprite from Home.  The Bristol store may just close.

BillyGr

Just because Price Chopper is closing that one store doesn't mean others will be as well.  That's very similar to what they did in Hudson (NY), as seen above but no other Price Chopper locations were closed in the area, just that one that apparently wasn't doing enough business to stay open and certainly not enough to be worth the cost of remodeling it to the Market 32 brand.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: BillyGr on May 09, 2019, 06:29:16 PM
Just because Price Chopper is closing that one store doesn't mean others will be as well.  That's very similar to what they did in Hudson (NY), as seen above but no other Price Chopper locations were closed in the area, just that one that apparently wasn't doing enough business to stay open and certainly not enough to be worth the cost of remodeling it to the Market 32 brand.

True enough. It was 2008 when Price Chopper closed in Waterbury, Connecticut and was replaced by an expanded ShopRite and no other Price Chopper in Connecticut closed then. (ShopRite had a much older smaller under 60,000 Square feet store in Waterbury on the opposite of Wolcott Street) .

Prior to Monday's announcement of the Vernon Price Chopper closing and being taken over by ShopRite a coworker of mine at BJ's in Southington speculated that things at the Vernon Price Chopper weren't doing well based on a conversation she had with a friend of hers who worked at the Vernon Price Chopper who told her that the store was very slow and that they had cut back on deliveries by a lot.

As an outsider looking in, if any other Price Chopper in Connecticut were to close I would guess Southington. That store is very slow. It's also a massive store like Vernon was. Southington is 95,000 square feet. If they were to close they would have to divide the space if another supermarket were to occupy the space. Maybe Big Y and Ocean State Job Lot could take the space if it were to become available The Job Lot in Southington is very small at well 30,000 Square feet. (23,000?). Don't get me wrong I like Job Lot, but in their current location they're very cramped, especially in the Spring/Summer when they have the outdoor merchandise such as plants.

More speculation. Could Stop and Shop move into a portion of the Southingon Price Chopper if it were to become available? Their existing store further down Route 10 (on the North Main Street side) does very well, it is away from everything else on Route 10. Everything on that section of Route 10 are smaller mom and pop businesses. Plus if Stop and Shop were to jump into the Price Chopper site they can buy the adjacent Sunoco gas station giving Southington a Stop and Shop gas station.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on May 10, 2019, 03:20:39 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on May 09, 2019, 06:29:16 PM

True enough. It was 2008 when Price Chopper closed in Waterbury, Connecticut and was replaced by an expanded ShopRite and no other Price Chopper in Connecticut closed then. (ShopRite had a much older smaller under 60,000 Square feet store in Waterbury on the opposite of Wolcott Street) .

Prior to Monday's announcement of the Vernon Price Chopper closing and being taken over by ShopRite a coworker of mine at BJ's in Southington speculated that things at the Vernon Price Chopper weren't doing well based on a conversation she had with a friend of hers who worked at the Vernon Price Chopper who told her that the store was very slow and that they had cut back on deliveries by a lot.

As an outsider looking in, if any other Price Chopper in Connecticut were to close I would guess Southington. That store is very slow. It's also a massive store like Vernon was. Southington is 95,000 square feet. If they were to close they would have to divide the space if another supermarket were to occupy the space. Maybe Big Y and Ocean State Job Lot could take the space if it were to become available The Job Lot in Southington is very small at well 30,000 Square feet. (23,000?). Don't get me wrong I like Job Lot, but in their current location they're very cramped, especially in the Spring/Summer when they have the outdoor merchandise such as plants.

More speculation. Could Stop and Shop move into a portion of the Southingon Price Chopper if it were to become available? Their existing store further down Route 10 (on the North Main Street side) does very well, it is away from everything else on Route 10. Everything on that section of Route 10 are smaller mom and pop businesses. Plus if Stop and Shop were to jump into the Price Chopper site they can buy the adjacent Sunoco gas station giving Southington a Stop and Shop gas station.

I have told you that when I shopped at Southington Price Chopper last week, I couldn't believe how much empty space there was on the sales floor (a lot of bottled water filling space) and how slow it was. There were a handful of customers shopping, some I am sure TOPS customers shopping elsewhere. Newington is no different business wise during the week however it's a smaller store and more compact store so it doesn't really show as much as Southington, but in the last year, you can see how empty the parking lot is. You can easily get a front parking space in the week.

As for Big Y, I doubt they would share the building with Job Lot. They are just two opposite stores. But I do think Job Lot taking part of Price Chopper is very realistic with another non-grocery store taking the other half. (wishful thinking...bring Kmart back there).

Joeg

I don't think S&S would take any part of PC in Southington.  I think you will see Big Y going in there, this would solidife there position in the area because Plainville Big Y is getting a remodel.  I just like seeing Shoprite get a bigger piece of the pie, especially with Shoprite from Home going into Cromwell and Vernon

standa

Bdubs

Quote from: standa on May 13, 2019, 09:42:19 AM
The Cromwell, CT Shoprite will open on May 18.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/shoprite-to-open-state-of-the-art-store-in-ct/554613/

It looks beautiful from the outside, I prefer shopping at my local Shop Rite rather than Stop&Shop. SR’s selection of specialty foods has really increased over the past few years.

Bdubs

The new Cromwell Shop Rite is huge. What a beautiful store, too. It’ll put any other store in this state to shame, and Ive been in a ton of stores in CT.  It sure will give Stop & Shop a run for its money.

mixedday

https://www.thedailyjournal.com/story/news/local/2019/05/23/new-shoprite-planned-east-vineland/3708381002/

Good to see a new large ShopRite store slated for Cumberland County, NJ's poorest county per capita income.