Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeg

They actually opened in the summer of 1959 next to JM Fields.  One of the first S&S to have a deli.

giantsfan2016

I was talking to two former coworkers of mine at the Forestville Stop and Shop today and they said while the store will be remodeled there is no set date yet. Also Forestville will be getting these stupid "Customer Service" robots that they've been introducing at other locations. From what I've read on Facebook, customers hate the "Customer Service" robots.

AmesNewington

I just stopped at the Kitts Lane S&S that is getting a moderate remodel. Not sure if they are done yet but why in the world won't they ever replace the old Shaw's flooring? It dates back to 1996 and has held up, but a new floor throughout the entire store would be nice. It looks tacky at this point. They never replaced the faux wood flooring where the Shaws Wild Harvest natural/organic section was and they added in random looking tiles throughout the store. It seems like every S&S getting remodeled has a temporary sign on the building as they took down the ones that were there. I can surmise they did this as they are painting and refinishing the outside of their buildings. Fenn Road Newington is being painted at the moment. Kitts Lane is mostly glass in front as it is a mid-90s Shaws façade (my favorite) so I'm not sure what will be painted there. To me this remodel is drab and uncreative. I like the aisle signage, but the department signs are just big black block letters which are back lit and most of the store is painted white. It looks fine, but no creativity at all. I guess we are stuck with this store for at least a few more years.

I noticed by the front end, there was block letter signage reading SERVING YOU SINCE 1992 (like New Britain has SINCE 2000), however, Kitts Lane opened in 2010. Fenn Road opened in 1992. I suppose both locations are one in the same being in Newington and S&S has served the town since that year. (In my opinion, they did no favors to us by keeping out competition by taking Shaws in 2010 when ShopRite could have got it. They also own an old car dealership down the road from their Fenn Road store that is being considered for low income housing. They want it to happen so they can grab new customers. But this will change the town and not in a good way).

giantsfan2016

The latest I heard about the Forestville, Connecticut store is they will be getting their remodel in late 2018 or early 2019.

AmesNewington

I like the new logo Stop and Shop has on their newly remodeled stores. It's basically a throwback to the red and green light logo pre-2008 with a modern look. I was wondering if this would be a chain wide switchover eventually and it looks to be possible as I saw it on a receipt I got today from a purchase at the Berlin, CT store. This location is pretty much done with the aisle relocations and aisle signage, including outdoor signage and a new paint job. However, I'm wondering if they are finished. Their front end is still the same with the old self checkout and very old checkout lights there since they opened in 2004. The same original floors are still there too, which are worn. Maybe they will come later, but the floors look waxed and polished. Kitts Lane in Newington and Elmwood is the same way too. Reset, but they don't look complete. Another cheap move was painting the doors in Berlin white and leaving them. If this is it, then they are doing a cheap job. Fenn Road is the only location that looks complete. I will make a complete assumption in a few months.

giantsfan2016

Store 684 in Southington was done in 2017 and they did not paint the exterior of the store nor did they replace the doors. Paint is peeling off the exterior of the building and now the doors are making an horrible loud sound when they open and close.

retailisking

The new look is set to debut at 21 Hartford-area supermarkets and gradually roll out chainwide. Frankly I find the new logo a bit bland.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/stop-shop-unveils-new-look

giantsfan2016

It's also Stop and Shop's 105th anniversary in 2019.

Chuck E. Cheese

Cromwell and Newington, CT have it already.

I like how it throws back to the older logo, but whoever was in charge didn't see how the shape of the old logo affected its usage.
Cromwell's pylon is just the horizontal logo with negative space on the top and bottom. The older one was square in nature and could fit snugly. The physical shape of the sign hasn't changed.

AmesNewington

Following up with what I posted earlier, I will say that I'm on the fence with Stop and Shop. I like the new throwback logo. But I cannot help but notice that some stores were better transformed in this remodel than others. Fenn Road in Newington is the best as far as in design. They did a complete makeover. However, Kitts Lane in Newington was a very standard refresh with the same floor from Shaws being used, same doors (one going back to 1996 and the other three 2000/2001), and so far, they even are using the same checkout lane signage and setup from before. I suppose this store is not focusing on the Walmart style self checkout like Fenn Road. Last time I checked, Berlin, CT still had the same floors, doors and checkout signage from 2004 when they opened. It looks tacky. Berlin I know is a high volume location like Fenn Road so I would have suspected they would have the new self checkout setup. Kitts Lane probably had to be redesigned with the rest of the Hartford area stores, but since its not high volume and there to keep competition out, they are probably still unsure what the future of the location will be. That explains the same floor, doors, etc. They did the minimum.

Stop and Shop as a whole does not impress me, although I like some aspects of Fenn Road, but I feel they are giving in to the whole "get in and out" scenario of grocery shopping by doing it yourself and not interacting with anyone. I'm almost 30 years old, however, I still like to go to a store, get what I need, and go to either a regular cashier or a self checkout if I feel like it. There should be more cashiers processing transactions and from what I can see at these self checkouts, customers need assistance 75% of the time, even if they are doing everything right. The computers are very temperamental. Hopefully these retailers will see that more self checkout is not the answer. I'd still rather shop at other supermarkets like ShopRite and Price Chopper. But since there are so many Stop and Shop locations near me, I will stop at one if I need something and they have it.

standa

Please look through the yelp photos of the South Windsor, CT store in the link.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stop-and-shop-south-windsor-2

They include recent ones and others taken over the years, and post what you think of the changes.
In my opinion, the store looked more appealing, aesthetically superior and colorful back in 2011. The new look is too gray and depressing. It looks more like a garage than a supermarket.

giantsfan2016

From an ad in the Sunday October 7th Hartford Courant, these are the stores that are having the Grand Reopening:

1135 FARMINGTON AVE - BERLIN
313 COTTAGE GROVE ROAD - BLOOMFIELD
195 WEST STREET - CROMWELL
940 SILVER LANE - E. HARTFORD
215 GLASTONBURY BLVD - GLASTONBURY
55 OAK STREET - GLASTONBURY
150 NEW PARK AVE - HARTFORD

286 BROAD ST. - MANCHESTER
1309 CORBIN AVE - NEW BRITAIN
44 FENN ROAD - NEWINGTON
206 KITTS LANE - NEWINGTON
80 TOWN LINE ROAD - ROCKY HILL
50 WINDSORVILLE ROAD - ROCKVILLE (VERNON)
498 BUSHY HILL ROAD - SIMSBURY

1739 ELLINGTON ROAD - SOUTH WINDSOR
1799 FARMINGTON AVE - UNIONVILLE (FARMINGTON)
10 PITKIN ROAD - VERNON
1235 FARMINGTON AVE - W. HARTFORD
176 NEWINGTON ROAD - W. HARTFORD
1380 BERLIN TURNPIKE - WETHERSFIELD
1095 KENNEDY ROAD - WINDSOR

standa

Quote from: Brammy on October 07, 2018, 10:00:29 PM
From an ad in the Sunday October 7th Hartford Courant, these are the stores that are having the Grand Reopening:

1135 FARMINGTON AVE - BERLIN
313 COTTAGE GROVE ROAD - BLOOMFIELD
195 WEST STREET - CROMWELL
940 SILVER LANE - E. HARTFORD
215 GLASTONBURY BLVD - GLASTONBURY
55 OAK STREET - GLASTONBURY
150 NEW PARK AVE - HARTFORD

286 BROAD ST. - MANCHESTER
1309 CORBIN AVE - NEW BRITAIN
44 FENN ROAD - NEWINGTON
206 KITTS LANE - NEWINGTON
80 TOWN LINE ROAD - ROCKY HILL
50 WINDSORVILLE ROAD - ROCKVILLE (VERNON)
498 BUSHY HILL ROAD - SIMSBURY

1739 ELLINGTON ROAD - SOUTH WINDSOR
1799 FARMINGTON AVE - UNIONVILLE (FARMINGTON)
10 PITKIN ROAD - VERNON
1235 FARMINGTON AVE - W. HARTFORD
176 NEWINGTON ROAD - W. HARTFORD
1380 BERLIN TURNPIKE - WETHERSFIELD
1095 KENNEDY ROAD - WINDSOR

Thanks for the list. I was going to look for it, since I was wondering how big a part of CT it encompassed.

giantsfan2016

All unions representing Stop and Shop employees have voted to authorize a strike. A strike may happen late next week,

giantsfan2016

Wednesday my Mom had a hair appointment near the Forestville, Connecticut Stop and Shop. We needed bread, so she stopped in to Stop and Shop. She got the last loaf. Friday we went grocery shopping there around 5PM. The store was stocked well in the perishable areas, but some stock was limited, so there were signs that said "On Order. Will be restocked soon." They also didn't have sale signs. There were sales ads all over the store with signs that said "Items will ring up at sales price with your card." Monday the 22nd was their first day back to work. A guy I know is a full-time produce clerk at a Stop and Shop. He told me he spent his entire 8 hour shift Monday throwing out produce. There was nothing salvageable for the discount produce rack they normally have at all the stores.

Also at least in Forestville Marty the Robot was seemingly asleep. We went Friday and Saturday and both days he was just parked at his charging station. I asked my friend in the HABA section and he said since they went back to work on Monday Marty wasn't making his usual rounds around the store as much.

Everything Community

Meet Marty! He's a smart robotic who can report spills & have them cleared up. If you spill juice all over the place, don't worry, he's got you covered at the Manchester, CT Stop & Shop. He is the same Marty at most other Stop & Shops around.

Everything Community

Just went to a Stop & Shop store in Chicopee, MA! I'm so shocked to believe that this store hasn't had too much touch-ups in the last 20 years. I still can't understand why this store escaped a few rounds of renovations over the years. This store has been around for over 30 years (far as I know!). It is one of the few S&S stores still using the series of good ol' store decor. These predate to the late 90's. Check out those pics on our Flickr!

Link: Stop & Shop - Chicopee, Massachusetts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigkmart/albums/72157709501867286

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Everything Community on July 07, 2019, 10:56:30 PM
Just went to a Stop & Shop store in Chicopee, MA! I'm so shocked to believe that this store hasn't had too much touch-ups in the last 20 years. I still can't understand why this store escaped a few rounds of renovations over the years. This store has been around for over 30 years (far as I know!). It is one of the few S&S stores still using the series of good ol' store decor. These predate to the late 90's. Check out those pics on our Flickr!

Link: Stop & Shop - Chicopee, Massachusetts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigkmart/albums/72157709501867286

Wow. If you want to see another time-warp store check out the one at 566 West Main Street in Meriden, CT in the Centennial Plaza. It's got a late 80s/early 90s vibe to it. It's also a very cramped store a 46,000 square feet. That's how the store looked 4 years ago the last time I was in there and how it was back in '07 the first time I was in there. I swear the only reason the exist is to keep another grocery store out. The plaza, while owned by Cornerstone Properties of Farmington is entirely leased to Stop and Shop and they control who rents space in the plaza. They have a much more modern store in downtown Meriden on Broad Street.

mjb1124

The S&S stores in Edison (on US-1) and Dayton NJ have similar decor to the Chickapee one.

giantsfan2016

Some random stuff about Stop and Shop products.

Seemingly since April Stop and Shop no longer stocks 12 packs of their store brand english muffins. We looked at 4 different Stop and Shops - Southington, Bristol, New Britain, and Forestville. I also have a friend who lives in the Philly area and he says Giant also doesn't have 12 packs of English muffins.

They also seem to have discontinued the Guaranteed Value line of generic products.

They're also no longer carrying the Taste of Inspiration brand of Frozen Meatball Pizza. I liked that brand and I couldn't find any other brand of frozen meatball pizza. IIRC, Taste of Inspiration was an in-house brand at Hannaford that Stop and Shop introduced at their stores after they got married to Hannaford.

standa

Quote from: Brammy on August 03, 2019, 01:55:01 PM
Some random stuff about Stop and Shop products.

Seemingly since April Stop and Shop no longer stocks 12 packs of their store brand english muffins. We looked at 4 different Stop and Shops - Southington, Bristol, New Britain, and Forestville. I also have a friend who lives in the Philly area and he says Giant also doesn't have 12 packs of English muffins.

They also seem to have discontinued the Guaranteed Value line of generic products.

They're also no longer carrying the Taste of Inspiration brand of Frozen Meatball Pizza. I liked that brand and I couldn't find any other brand of frozen meatball pizza. IIRC, Taste of Inspiration was an in-house brand at Hannaford that Stop and Shop introduced at their stores after they got married to Hannaford.

I also noticed Regal brand napkins, paper towels, and bath tissues, replacing store brand items. Did anyone else notice it?

retailisking

Stop & Shop lost $345 million in business during the strike - and the damage continues to pile up
https://www.morningnewsbeat.com/News/Detail/57827/2019-08-08/

Bdubs

Quote from: retailisking on August 08, 2019, 03:12:24 AM
Stop & Shop lost $345 million in business during the strike - and the damage continues to pile up
Being a vendor who services all grocery stores in CT, we’ve seen a serious uptick in sales at Shop Rite and Big Y since the strike. Stop n Shop is still struggling to regain that stronghold they had in this state for what feels like forever.
As a customer (who barely shops at S&S) I’ve noticed quality of produce drastically dip, and zone pricing at higher income areas, Whole Foods has cheaper produce now! Who would’ve thought.

AmesNewington

It's about time S&S gets a wake up call after how they work to keep competition out of areas by buying real estate near their stores and have one too many locations, while also being expensive and not having the best quality. My hope is that this will force them to eliminate double locations in the same town or those locations that surround several others within a short distance. An example is Newington, CT. The Kitts Lane location was bought nine years ago from Shaw's, only to keep out perhaps ShopRite from buying it (Wakefern bought most of the Shaw's locations but S&S was able to snatch up about 5 of them). They put minimal renovations in to the store. Although they did update it to the 2018 remodel the other Hartford area locations received. But flooring and other fixtures were never touched. There are about 6 other S&S locations close by to the Kitts Lane store. It's never too busy except for weekends and holidays. It's a waste of money to keep it open.

Brammy

Went to the New Britain Stop and Shop yesterday for the first time since the remodel. It looks decent. They have new shopping carts. They painted the building. They put up the sign with the new (old) traffic light logo. Saw Marty the robot. They had a refrigerated section next to their deli with international foods, although I'd say about 75% of the products weren't international products. Definitely looks refreshed. Wish they would do the remodel to Forestville. It's badly needed, but with a $345 million loss from the strike, I don't see any more store remodels in the near future.
The Real Brammy

RoleModel

Quote from: bjs203marc on September 14, 2019, 04:41:13 AM
Went to the New Britain Stop and Shop yesterday for the first time since the remodel. It looks decent. They have new shopping carts. They painted the building. They put up the sign with the new (old) traffic light logo. Saw Marty the robot. They had a refrigerated section next to their deli with international foods, although I'd say about 75% of the products weren't international products. Definitely looks refreshed. Wish they would do the remodel to Forestville. It's badly needed, but with a $345 million loss from the strike, I don't see any more store remodels in the near future.

Their focus has been on Long Island right now, with a majority of stores in Suffolk County getting overhauls...some better than others.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on August 10, 2019, 04:34:17 AM

It's about time S&S gets a wake up call after how they work to keep competition out of areas by buying real estate near their stores and have one too many locations, while also being expensive and not having the best quality. My hope is that this will force them to eliminate double locations in the same town or those locations that surround several others within a short distance. An example is Newington, CT. The Kitts Lane location was bought nine years ago from Shaw's, only to keep out perhaps ShopRite from buying it (Wakefern bought most of the Shaw's locations but S&S was able to snatch up about 5 of them). They put minimal renovations in to the store. Although they did update it to the 2018 remodel the other Hartford area locations received. But flooring and other fixtures were never touched. There are about 6 other S&S locations close by to the Kitts Lane store. It's never too busy except for weekends and holidays. It's a waste of money to keep it open.

It's not a waste of money to keep that store open, its called keeping the competition away.

I moved to Charlotte a year ago. Harris Teeter is like the Stop and Shop in this area. They are everywhere, many locations aren't even that busy due to so many locations. They have some stores that are small and others that are big. I can walk to a Food Lion and a Harris Teeter, which both are small locations. They will legit open a new store within 5 minutes of another to keep Food Lion and Publix out. Charlotte's population is exploding, with new neighborhoods being created every year. You know Harris Teeter will make sure they have a presence there over Publix.

I visited Miami last month and Publix rules Florida. Just how it is, playing the game.

As far as Kitts lane, when I came to visit CT last month, I walked into it. They did a good job about remodeling. You can still see the flooring is ala Shaw's when it was built in 1996, but they did a good job with it and it was fairly busy. Love the little section of self check out registers they made. The Walmart's down here have that.

Stop and Shop wouldn't have invested in all the money for all those renovations if it wasn't making money.

standa

The store pictured at the top of the article looks like a former Waldbaum's. Is it true?

https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com/retailers/stop-shop-unveils-21-remodels-long-island

Brammy

Quote from: standa on September 16, 2019, 08:43:21 PM
The store pictured at the top of the article looks like a former Waldbaum's. Is it true?

https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com/retailers/stop-shop-unveils-21-remodels-long-island

It's possible. I remember when A&P was winding down operations a few years ago some locations were sold to Stop and Shop, ACME, and a few to Wakefern.
The Real Brammy