Mall of Memphis

Started by thedisneystore967, March 26, 2005, 02:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Northway Mall

Last ones for now - this shows all the parts that still (currently) exist of Northway Mall from the time of the enclosed mall.

First is the David's Bridal (originally Silo) - this is the last part of the "mall" building, and was also the last part built.  The rest of the mall sat this far forward (so the current strip stores sit back a bit further as they aren't as deep).

2nd is the Staples (former Chuck E Cheese) building - CEC wasn't as large as Staples (there used to be 2 store fronts to the left, now only 1).

3rd is the BJ's - as far as I know this was built specifically for BJ's and was never anything else.

4th is a side view of the Lechmere (former Alpert's Furniture) building.

5th is a side view of the Cine 10 (Former Cine 1-8, Cine 1-6) building.  While it was run by Hoyt's in later years, I don't remember ever seeing that name on the building (or for that matter, the name of the owner prior to that either).

d_fife

Northway Mall

Last ones for now - this shows all the parts that still (currently) exist of Northway Mall from the time of the enclosed mall.

First is the David's Bridal (originally Silo) - this is the last part of the "mall" building, and was also the last part built.  The rest of the mall sat this far forward (so the current strip stores sit back a bit further as they aren't as deep).

2nd is the Staples (former Chuck E Cheese) building - CEC wasn't as large as Staples (there used to be 2 store fronts to the left, now only 1).

3rd is the BJ's - as far as I know this was built specifically for BJ's and was never anything else.

4th is a side view of the Lechmere (former Alpert's Furniture) building.

5th is a side view of the Cine 10 (Former Cine 1-8, Cine 1-6) building.  While it was run by Hoyt's in later years, I don't remember ever seeing that name on the building (or for that matter, the name of the owner prior to that either).

The vacant lechmere and cinema is slated to be torn down to become a lowe's.
I went to the latham and clifton park malls last week and they were ----- pitiful.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by thedisneystore967
let's each go around and list one dead mall that we know about.....I'll go first.........landmark mall,Alexandria,Virginia

here is the former camillus mall in ny

from by web staff of news10now.com/.../ default.asp?ArID=35231

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
let's each go around and list one dead mall that we know about.....I'll go first.........landmark mall,Alexandria,Virginia

\
what were teh ancores?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

\
what were teh ancores?

I heard the anchors where Hill's, K-mart, Sears and JC Penny and they all closed in 1999. STrange location for a mall!

Ameskid

Beechmont mall, in Cincinnati, Ohio. I lived right up the hill from it! I could see Lazarus from my house. (They changed to Macy's.)
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Marc82

The Mall at Bristol Centre in Bristol Connecticut. I say that they are the king of dead malls. They really were never successful in their 37 year history. As of now all the remaining tenants have been evicted, except for Job Lot which is fightign the eviction. The Pizza House will be moving out in July.

Pictures of the mall I took on June 15, 2006.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h195/mallatbristolcentre/

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
The Mall at Bristol Centre in Bristol Connecticut. I say that they are the king of dead malls. They really were never successful in their 37 year history. As of now all the remaining tenants have been evicted, except for Job Lot which is fightign the eviction. The Pizza House will be moving out in July.

Nice pictures. I went by there today (but didn't stop in). I paid that mall a visit a few months ago when I heard they were shutting it off to the public. I'm sure that mall will see it's end by the year's end.

Check out my Bristol Centre Mall galleries from a few months back...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

beachgal26

I probably have one of the more infamous malls to report on since it has such a checkered history.  While it opened in 1981 and had many years of great success, it began to die with a long series of murders, robberies and much bad luck.  It finally closed its doors on Christmas Eve 2003 and was demolished the following spring/summer.

Many groups tried to convince our so-called intelligent leaders that there was much life left in this building and many people lobbied for such uses as a centralized government/state/county government center (license renewals, etc.)  Since it was the only structure within a great area with a grade A indoor skating rink, many local youth groups, olympic hopefuls, etc. all used it and have nowhere else to go now.

This has been a great loss to the area on many levels and now the Toys R Us, Office Depot and many other stores in the adjoining shopping center are also closing their doors.  While everyone blames the Mall's failure on an increase of crime in the area, changing demographics, etc. it had lots of life left in it and was in excellent condition considering that it was 20+ years old.

I was fortunate enough to be able to wander around inside the Mall during the demolition months and took some great photos which I will try to post at a later date.

:( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad::( :mad:

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82

Hey it's nice to know we have local people in the Hartford/general CT area checking up on our decaying retail centers. Make sure you check out the Bristol Centre Mall post for more info from me and others. http://69.93.241.194/~amesfan/forum/viewthread.php?tid=876
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dmx10101

Does anybody visit deadmalls.com, they have alot of cool pics and info about closed malls.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Ameskid

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Target could also choose to go the possible new retail center near exit 80 in Lewiston.

what new possible retail  center near 80 in Lewiston?????

now back to, auburn mall, I still found that mall outdated. But how were there less vacancies? They still need to get porteous filled!

I recently learned that a Courtyard Hotel could open on Auburn Mall property.  It's good, but they need to fill Porteous.  As for Lewiston, a 190,000 sf. Wal-Mart supercenter will open near Exit 80.

Marc82

THIS SATURDAY AT 10AM THEY WILL BE AUCTIONING OFF THE CONTENTS OF THE DEFUCT MALL AT BRISTOL CENTRE IN BRISTOL, CONNECTICUIT. LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF INTERESTING THINGS. THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN STARTING YOUR OWN BUFFET RESTAURANT AS SOME OF THE ITEMS UP FOR AUCTION INCLUDE ALL THE EQUIPMENT FROM XO GRAND CHINESE BUFFET. (PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS THE GOLDEN WOK BUFFET). A FLYER OF THE AUCTION CAN BE FOUND HERE. (ACROBAT READER IS NEEDED TO VIEW) http://www.ci.bristol.ct.us/filestorage/3070/bristolmallbrochure.pdf

AS OF RIGHT NOW IT APPEARS THAT NEITHER NICK (XISMZERO) NOR MYSELF WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND THIS AUCTION.

davidsky

I was at the South Hills Mall in Poughkeepsie today. It's pretty much dead. You can't walk inside the mall anymore. Only in and out of the anchor stores Kmart and Burlington Coat Factory and a movie theater

HeatherM

Warren Mall in Warren, PA. The owner has the rent so high that no one wants to stay. I still think he wants to let it get so bad so he can file for bankruptcy and possibly get a grant to renovate.

http://www.warrenmallpa.com/

The directory is out of date. Waldenbooks moved out over a year ago, Hallmark is gone, Fashion Bug is down to the new Warren Commons where Wal-mart is along with GNC, Kay Jewelers, and Northwest Savings Bank, Express Fitness is also gone. A rumor going around is that Big Lots will move out and down the road to the old Quality Markets. Also the owner has been blowing smoke about a revitalization of the mall and bringing in new things. "Oh we'll have some news in 30 days...." well it has been about 60 or more and nothing more then rumors. Zamias has been a crap owner for a long time and yet they own alot of malls and plazas all over.

http://www.zamias.com/properties.php

If I can, I'll go in and take pictures. There is no one there anyways...

The Adamantium Elbow

Eastland Mall in North Versailles, PA. It opened in 1963 and for a time was home to 60 different stores including Sears, JC Penney's, and Gimbel's. But as the area became more depressed the bigger stores pulled out by 1989 leaving the place a barely surviving collaboration of small mom and pop stores and food vendors. The main attraction however was the weekend flea market, a bingo hall, and pro-wrestling shows provided by PWX a Mckeesport based indy wrestling fed.

I still remember toward the end they had a zillion buckets allover the place to catch water from the roof leaking.

Finally though by 2007 the building just became to dillapidated to maintain and was finally closed. I think there might still be a beer distributor and a wonderbread store on the grounds but as far as I know the main building has been shut down.