Movie Gallery announces more store closings

Started by dmx10101, April 09, 2008, 08:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmx10101

DOTHAN , Ala.  (Apr. 3) Movie Gallery has announced that it plans to close approximately 160 underperforming Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores in its third and final round of store closures. This consolidation of store operations is in addition to the closures previously announced on Feb. 4 and Sept. 25, 2007.

Joe Malugen, chairman, president and ceo of Movie Gallery, said, "While the decision to close stores is never easy, this final consolidation will allow us to further focus our resources on those stores with the strongest operating performance and best prospects for growth after we emerge from bankruptcy. This is another positive step forward in our restructuring to position the company for profitability and long-term success."

Movie Gallery expects liquidation sales at affected stores to begin in approximately one week and to conclude by April 30.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

XISMZERO

Looks like the end for Movie Gallery. This is what happens when Netflix and $1 rentals become the market's preferred form of movie renting. One near me just closed up, upon the first wave of closings and I still have my membership card.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

One thing that has become really popular down here is RedBoxes, located in every Stop & Shop supermarket in the Providence area.  I don't know about everywhere else, but these things almost always have lines out the door, and I'll admit I've grabbed a DVD or two while grocery shopping!  Now you have the option of keeping the DVD for $10.

Marc82

Yeah we have those REDBOXES in Stop & Shops here in Connecticut too. Never tried one though.

I wonder if the Hollywood Video next to Price Chopper in Southington is gonna close.

On the subject of movie rental places. Blockbuster in Meriden is doing really well. They just signed another 5 year lease.

beachgal26

We haven't had a Movie Gallery here for over 10 years!  I thought that tyhe whole chain had closed and now we're losing Hollywood Cinema too.  Oh well, at least they're always be Netflix and Blockbuster.  (At least, I hope so since my husband works there p/t to help with his movie fix!)

NJxxJon

Netfilx....is....OK. ....My local library has great DVDs
JN

beachgal26

I know what you mean!  I'm old school and would still wander up and down the aisles until I find something I like (or did not expect to see).

silverrose43

The movie gallery in Norwich, CT is closing at the end of the month. My fiance owns a karate school next door to it and the manager of the movie gallery told him the whole chain was going out of buisness.

NJxxJon

VHS's for 10 bucks were awesome....ya never knew if the VCR would work hahahahahahaha
JN

beachbum2704

blockbuster video closing it's store in Coventry RI

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

patk

Marc82

Noticed they put up a Store Closing Banner up on the Hollywood Video on Queen Street (CT Route 10) in Southington, CT.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on April 04, 2010, 04:36:44 AM
Noticed they put up a Store Closing Banner up on the Hollywood Video on Queen Street (CT Route 10) in Southington, CT.

On Sunday when I went by the Manchester CT Shaws that just closed, I also noticed the Hollywood Video in the same plaza was closed as well. There are only two more businesses in that plaza.  I didn't know the video store closed.

ameskmart1

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ameskmart1 on May 02, 2010, 04:38:19 PM
Movie Galley will close remaining 2,415 stores in the next few months
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704608104575220370429528864.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us

Hollywood Video/Game Crazy in Southington, Connecticut continue to have their store closing sale.

store215

No real shock there. All the ones near me are already gone. Blockbuster is the next one up on death row...

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on May 02, 2010, 09:24:58 PM
Hollywood Video/Game Crazy in Southington, Connecticut continue to have their store closing sale.

Closed last month. For Lease sign now in front of the building.

zonemad96

one of their locations that closed was in taneytown md and it was a newly built store and a quite nice one at that but it just didnt get enough business

heres a pic

btw if you google movie gallery taneytown md you will find a web site with info if you wanna buy it

it was built only a few years ago mabey 2-4 at the most and i would think it cost them more to build the store than they made they had like a max of  15 people shop their a day and most people never even checked out

but the store was designed to match the shopping center which is years old which i dont quite understand why they did that since the whole shopping center is due for a makeover

ynkeesfn82

The former Hollywood Video on Queen Street in Southington was sold to another real estate company for $1.4 million!!!!! Yikes! They said they're gonna try to market the store to national tenants.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/latestnews/article_fd603f4a-02de-11e0-a53f-001cc4c002e0.html

ynkeesfn82

Former Hollywood Video 360 Queen Street Southington, Connecticut now has new life as:

Jenny K's Cleaners, Pizza Hut Carry Out, Tommy's Tanning, and LUX Spa & Nails.

buzz86us

LOL I remember Movie Gallery they expanded into many areas they priced everything similar to Blockbuster and opened in bad areas I went into one once pretty much all of them were only open a few months then hollywood bought them and grand opening/grand closing. Several were new buildings.