J.G.E. - HEY JERRY ! WHAT\'S THE STORY!

Started by Great Eastern, March 27, 2008, 01:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Eastern

This store chain people in the NY/NJ/CT area might remember during the 1970's.

J.G.E. (which meant Jamaica Gas & Electric) was a short lived appliance chain in the NY Metro area.  Their pitchman was the companies owner Jerry Rosenburg.  He would always appear in a hard-hat and t-shirt and you would here a voice in the background, "HEY JERRY?  WHAT'S THE STORY?!"

Then Jerry would give the pitch on what J.G.E. was and had.  You could only purchase from them if you worked for a union or had a civil service ID.

He would always end the commercial by raising his arms in which his pot belly would show and say, "THAT'S THE STORY !"

I remember there use to be a J.G.E. in Lodi, NJ on Route 46 West.  We bought an air conditioner there back in '75.  I just remember as a kid the commercials were a riot.  They didn't last too long.  I know by the begining of the 1980's they gone and even by 1979 you didn't even see the commercials anymore.

Amazing how a chain that is gone almost 30 years that most people most likely didn't go to you can still remember because of the commercials.

Anonymous

Hey Jerry- What's the story?
The story is ya come to JGE with your civil service card or your union card and you're in. 'cause JGE ain't open to da general public!
So that's the story, Jerry?
That's the sto-reeeee!

Anonymous

The story is you come to JGE with the exact make and model number of the unit you want to buy.  you show us your union card at the door, and you're in, because JGE is not open to the general public.  only to union members and their families.
That's the sto-reeeee!

Anonymous

The story is you come to JGE with the exact make and model number of the unit you want to buy. you show us your civil service card or your union card and you're in, because JGE is not open to the general public. only to union members and their families.
That's the sto-reeeee!

Anonymous

"Know the model and number of the appliance you want; Jerry can get it for you wholesale."