Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

shakethis1234

were they like kmart

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
were they like kmart

Kresge is how Kmart started. I guess by looking at pictures, that the store were Woolworth sized. Some of the larger ones may have been converted to Kmart when they dropped the Kresge name.

I don't know about Jutiper, maybe slightly larger variety stores? (All three Kmart, Jupiter, Kresgee were all around together for a few years)

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
were they like kmart

Kresge is how Kmart started. I guess by looking at pictures, that the store were Woolworth sized. Some of the larger ones may have been converted to Kmart when they dropped the Kresge name.

I don't know about Jutiper, maybe slightly larger variety stores? (All three Kmart, Jupiter, Kresgee were all around together for a few years)

Anonymous

The only Jupiter I ever saw in this area (upstate NY) was in Hudson, right on Warren Street (the main street).  It was quite a small store, but carried much of what a K-Mart would, only obviously a more limited selection due to the small size (kind of a Kmart convenience store if you will).  It was right next store to a JJ Newberry's (5 and 10 type - related to McCrory's at some point).

Zayre88

Here are the three stores on that credit card...

AMESbalti/toledo

they were all related. kresge 5 and dime grew to kresge mart(aka Kmart)had a kresge in town i grew up in dundalk md. was still there until mcorys bought them i think in 87? just as ames bought my store in 8586. mcorys bought gcmurphys in 89 90 dont know what they r now now but when i visited in 2001 mcoorys sign out front but old kresge side entrance sign still up (though entrance long gone)

df559

McCrory and their related stores are history. I know they also owned TG&Y and whatever other discount stores YDC (York Distribution Company) had when they bought out that company. They converted all their stores to the "Dollar Zone" banner in the early 2000's before the entire chain folded.

Zayre88

I'm sure Kresge Co. operated the 3 chains.  At one point they knew Kmart was their strong division.  They changed name to Kmart Corporation in 1977.  

The Jupiter and Kresge stores were sold to McCrory in 1987 i think.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I'm sure Kresge Co. operated the 3 chains.  At one point they knew Kmart was their strong division.  They changed name to Kmart Corporation in 1977.  

The Jupiter and Kresge stores were sold to McCrory in 1987 i think.

oh so Jupiter WAS a discount store DUDE! I mean Zayre88

WHERE'D DID YOU GET THAT PIC?

dooneyt63

The Jupiter discount stores were opened by Kresge in lagging Kresge locations (and some other places as well).  They were an effort to perk up the aging dime store style Kresge operation and were created shortly before the Kmart launch.  The Kmart banner became the principal one very quickly with Kresge eventually being sold along with Jupiter to McCrory.  There were never a great number of Jupiter stores.

storehistoryguy

Heres and old Kresge's ad.

storehistoryguy

An old 1960's Kresge Co..

storehistoryguy

A 1910's Kresge.

HoJofan206

I miss our old K-Mart stores here in town.

storehistoryguy

Heres another old Kresge.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Kresge. Not sure where. Looks like the picture was taken in the early 70's going by that car in the front.

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/2005_07_01_mallsofamerica_archive.html

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Caldor1999

were was that store located
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
were was that store located

New York City I believe. Those pictures are of the basement.

storehistoryguy

Founder of Kresge, Sebastian Spering Kresge, 1867-1966.

http://library.uncwil.edu/archives/pap/21.html