Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stork of The Weak

Would the store at the end of this movie have actually been a Kmart?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt0b7K_nrg4 (shown only for the last 10 seconds)

The only identifying features really would be the light boxes at the checkouts, unfortunately. I seem to remember seeing similar fixtures at Walmart in the earlier 90's...

Stork of The Weak

Sorry if I'm repeating what was posted before. This legendary Kmart closed last year which really is sad: http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-trip-to-french-market.html#comment-form

But this building I think would look even more epic as a Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, Sam's Club, Target... really it could be any of those!

d_fife

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: d_fife on May 30, 2014, 03:43:38 PM
Kmart in Green Bay and Shawano are CLOSING http://fox11online.com/2014/05/30/kmart-store-near-lambeau-field-closing/
I knew this day would come. The Green Bay Packers organization want the land that the Green Bay store is on. They plan to demolish the store for parking during days of Packer games. They will then redevelop the land when they are ready (maybe they will open some upscale shops and restaurants, as well as hotels in that area). The store was in a bad spot recently since the buildings around it were already abandoned from as far back as the mid '00s.

As for the Shawano location, located at Shawano Plaza, maybe Shopko could take that location, since Shawano does not yet have a Shopko.

BillyGr

Is there some meaning to this? 

In a report on the news from Florida about the large sinkhole that developed in a parking lot, in the background was a Big Kmart!

Maybe they were hoping the sinkhole would keep going and swallow up the store too - that way they could just recoup money from insurance and not have to go through the closing process :)

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on May 31, 2014, 06:30:54 PM

In a report on the news from Florida about the large sinkhole that developed in a parking lot, in the background was a Big Kmart!

Maybe they were hoping the sinkhole would keep going and swallow up the store too - that way they could just recoup money from insurance and not have to go through the closing process :)

It seems like from the news stories I've seen most of Florida is one big sink hole.

Quote from: Marc B on May 31, 2014, 08:43:16 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on May 31, 2014, 06:30:54 PM

It seems like from the news stories I've seen most of Florida is one big sink hole.
I think they should exit Florida altogether. Florida not only has to deal with sinkholes, but also hurricanes.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on May 31, 2014, 08:43:16 PM

Not far from the truth.  Limestone dome formations + a very high water table
is the perfect formula for sinkholes.

d_fife

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 31, 2014, 04:05:02 PM
Kmart in Green Bay and Shawano are CLOSING http://fox11online.com/2014/05/30/kmart-store-near-lambeau-field-closing/
I knew this day would come. The Green Bay Packers organization want the land that the Green Bay store is on. They plan to demolish the store for parking during days of Packer games. They will then redevelop the land when they are ready (maybe they will open some upscale shops and restaurants, as well as hotels in that area). The store was in a bad spot recently since the buildings around it were already abandoned from as far back as the mid '00s.

As for the Shawano location, located at Shawano Plaza, maybe Shopko could take that location, since Shawano does not yet have a Shopko.

what of build a new Kmart in Green bay. Madison lost theirs in 2003.

d_fife

Kmarts in Anderson TOwnship OH, Northport Alabama and Collinsville IL are closing

Ames Newington

Quote from: retailisking on June 12, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
Here's a new Lampert tactic - close the doors immediately, no notice to employees at all
http://www.10news.com/money/local-kmart-store-abruptly-closes-dozens-of-employees-out-of-work-061114

I have never seen a company this backwards, and a CEO who probably doesn't even know the back of his hand. I always thought that an employer is supposed to notify their employees of a closure ahead of time, at least a day. I know restaurants close abruptly, but a dept store? If Kmart/Sears hasn't already looked bad to the consumer, then now would be that moment for sure.

TheFugitive

In most states employers are required to give a 30-90 day prior notice on large layoffs.

Of course by this point the average Kmart store may have too small a staff to be covered.

retailisking

California's WARN provisions are more stringent than what the federal statute calls for, but they might be able to escape any liability as they only had 73 employees at the time they pulled the plug on this store.

Quote from: d_fife on June 07, 2014, 11:06:51 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 31, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

what of build a new Kmart in Green bay. Madison lost theirs in 2003.

The Kmart in Green Bay was built in 1967, remodeled in 1991 and 1997, and will close next month. The store had a good 63-year run. Now it's time to say goodbye to Kmart and hello to the new Green Bay Packers Stadium District, which will consist of upscale retail and entertainment, similar to Gillette Stadium's Patriot Place.

ynkeesfn82

I had business in Waterbury, Connecticut this past Friday and I took a ride to the KMART that has been shuttered for 7 months. The building appears to be in very bad shape. I think it and the Joann's (which was KMART Foods) should have a date with a wrecking ball. Maybe Lowe's can build a store there. At one time they wanted to build a store in Waterbury, but the city turned them down for a location by Exit 25 off I-84. The Joann's can relocate to either to a vacant spot in the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center across the street or take over the old Petco/America Steak House spaces in the Shoprite Plaza next door. As soon as my Mom lets me on her lap top I'll upload a few pics I took of the shuttered KMART.

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on June 25, 2014, 01:27:51 PM
I had business in Waterbury, Connecticut this past Friday and I took a ride to the KMART that has been shuttered for 7 months. The building appears to be in very bad shape. I think it and the Joann's (which was KMART Foods) should have a date with a wrecking ball. Maybe Lowe's can build a store there. At one time they wanted to build a store in Waterbury, but the city turned them down for a location by Exit 25 off I-84. The Joann's can relocate to either to a vacant spot in the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center across the street or take over the old Petco/America Steak House spaces in the Shoprite Plaza next door. As soon as my Mom lets me on her lap top I'll upload a few pics I took of the shuttered KMART.
http://www.pe.com/articles/kmart-696714-store-hemet.html and one in pa is closing in shennogbana or what ever

ynkeesfn82

Here are four shots I took on Friday June 20th, 2014 of the closed KMART at 881 Wolcott Street in Waterbury, Connecticut. The store opened in November 1973 and closed in November 2013.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on June 25, 2014, 06:13:23 PM
Here are four shots I took on Friday June 20th, 2014 of the closed KMART at 881 Wolcott Street in Waterbury, Connecticut. The store opened in November 1973 and closed in November 2013.

There was a Thrift Drug store near where I live which closed and put a sign like that in the window.

The closing date specified on the sign was July 31, 1993.

The sign finally came out of the window sometime in late 2011.

Kmart4life

Billy Gr
That store is a very busy store and it is across the street from Legoland and I can tell you from shopping there that the store is almost always busy. With or without a sinkhole they are always getting plenty of business.

d_fife

d_fife

sand Spring ok closing too

TheFugitive

Will the last person leaving a Kmart store please turn off the blue light?

d_fife

Quote from: TheFugitive on July 14, 2014, 04:04:48 PM
Will the last person leaving a Kmart store please turn off the blue light?

why you say that

why are there 3 kmarts left within 20 miles of ORlando?