Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on March 02, 2014, 04:13:13 PM
TRU7536, why are you quoting others posts without adding anything new?

Actually, if you look carefully you'll see that the last two sentences were not in the original post.

Apparently, TRU just typed them in the wrong spot (before the /QUOTE rather than after) so they look like they are a part of the quote.

MikeRa

The Kmart on Island Avenue, in Philadelphia, is now in it's last 2 weeks of operation before the doors close for good.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

I tried to get some pictures of the now closed store in Waterbury, Connecticut today, but it was too cold. My hands got numb trying to take pictures. Will try again when I get up to Waterbury when it gets warmer. By then PETCO and TJMAXX in the next plaza over will have closed and moved to the other end of Waterbury and I can get pictures of them too.

WOLCOTT STREET IS GOING DOWN, BITCHES!

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on March 05, 2014, 07:18:33 PM
The Kmart on Island Avenue, in Philadelphia, is now in it's last 2 weeks of operation before the doors close for good.
This location is now down to it's last week of operation

d_fife

Kmart hasnt been closing any stores for aw hile now for aw hile recently there was a huge rash of closings. but will any more in Philly close as how come the city limits got hit hard

What if Kmart improves its stores?

Stork of The Weak

So weird how some Kmarts are modern like Walmart, yet others have that old school feel as did so many other now dead competitors such as Ames, Bradlees, Caldor, Jamesway, Woolco, Grants, Two Guys, JM Fields, King's, Murphy's Mart, Nichols Discount City, Hills, Zayre, Grandway, etc.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

If Sears Holdings decides to close all their brick-and-mortar locations, I think they should just focus on online shopping. Time to pull the plug on your remaining stores, Kmart and Sears, and refocus your efforts on the Internet. By the way, the Sears Tower in Chicago, Illinois is now called the Willis Tower, since Sears is no longer located there, and they haven't been located there in years.

Goodbye brick-and-mortar Sears and Kmart, hello online Sears and Kmart!

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on March 11, 2014, 09:22:32 AM
Kmart hasnt been closing any stores for awhile now recently there was a huge rash of closings. but will any more in Philly close as how come the city limits got hit hard

What if Kmart improves its stores?
as of right now the Kmart on Roosevelt Blvd, Aramingo Avenue and Frankford Avenue are still open, as well as the Sears on Cottman & Bustelton Avenue, and the Sears Outlet at Franklin Mills Mall, all in Philly.

Stork of The Weak

Why would either Kmart or Sears have an interest in becoming an online retailer? Amazon already is eating their lunch online and realistically there are few or no retailers that can outdo them. Heck a lot of the Sears and Kmart management people probably don't even use the Internet for anything in their personal lives, as a lot of them are probably older folks.

Stork of The Weak

What's up with Kmart experimenting with groceries twice in their history (originally in the 60's with the Kmart Foods name) yet failing the second time as most Super Kmart stores have either closed or at least closed the grocery section? From what I can tell the Super Kmart stores when new had all the same features as Walmart Supercenter stores, which have been an ENORMOUS success, except the fact that Walmart has gas stations at their stores. Kmart did experiment at only a few of the already few Super Kmart stores with gas stations called Kmart Express (or was the "express" name only for the full-service convenience stores within the gas stations?) but maybe Walmart had the advantage by not using their own name at gas stations, instead calling them Murphy USA in some regions and MiraStar in others, while selling gas under the Sam's Club name at those nontraditional stores.

zonemad96

This article may have been posted on this subject before but it pretty much sums up why Kmart failed and Walmart succeed.

http://college.cengage.com/accounting/resources/students/readings/06-read.html

The Kpocalypse is about to begin in the United States.

It won't be long before it has an affect on the Australian and New Zealand stores.

Here are my predictions for the Australian Kmart stores:
A third of the locations might become Big W (an Australian store similar to Walmart), while another third might become New Zealand-based The Warehouse (a New Zealand store similar to Walmart), while another third might become Target Australia.

Here are my predictions for the New Zealand Kmart stores:
A majority of the New Zealand Kmart stores might be converted to Target Australia, while other locations might be converted to The Warehouse.

Stork of The Weak

I wonder if there was confusion for people in the early days of Kmart when a big rival of Kmart in some areas was King's. Even though the K in Kmart comes from Kresge, some people might have thought it was named after King's, which started as a five and dime/variety store chain but made a similar transition as Woolworth did into Woolco, or Kresge into Kmart, or Grants into Grant City.

Stork of The Weak

I just found out the mother of Ray Nagin (previous mayor of New Orleans) was the manager of a Kmart cafeteria. Louisiana is in the heart of early Walmart territory, so I'm thinking the Kmart she worked at would have closed long ago.

Stork of The Weak

It's unfortunate the store in Dover DE is closing just because the old Walmart in Dover (which opened in 1992 and moved to a Supercenter in the early 2010s) is still empty. I'm surprised the Walmart has been empty as long as it has because Sam's Club is still open across the parking lot.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on March 24, 2014, 04:58:48 PM
I just found out the mother of Ray Nagin (previous mayor of New Orleans) was the manager of a Kmart cafeteria. Louisiana is in the heart of early Walmart territory, so I'm thinking the Kmart she worked at would have closed long ago.

If you have ever seen the movie Roger and Me there is a disturbing scene in which a woman
who sells rabbits out of her house "for pets or meat" kills and skins one on camera.  She was
known locally as Rhonda the Rabbit Lady.

I met her perhaps a year after this movie came out.  She was working at the Kmart cafeteria on
Belsay Rd. in Burton, Michigan.   Michael Moore had become a celebrity and a mutli-millionaire by then.
Obviously he did not spread the wealth around to his co-stars.

d_fife

Kmarts in Rexburg ID and WAynesboro PA are closing? but why arent they closing stores as rapidly as earlier in the year. The one in Minneapolis wants to stay open despite the city wanting to redevelop the property to pass a street through and will go along with the redeveloping, they dont want to leave that one, yet theyve closed some stores.

Stork of The Weak

I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad that the Kmart at the Gallery Mall in Philadelphia is closing by the end of this month. One half of me is happy that a huge draw for people to the mall is going to be gone, because some real creeps and sickos hang out at that mall, but the other half of me is worried the freaks will break into the abandoned Kmart, which is a huge space on three floors.

d_fife

will the one in Claremont close?

Stork of The Weak

I wonder if Wegmans would be interested in opening at the sites of the few Super Kmart stores left, most of which will probably close. Wegmans probably would occupy the whole of what were the non-grocery sections at these stores, but leave the Kmart grocery sections empty. How about Total Wine putting stores in the former grocery sections to complement Wegmans?

I read a book about the history of Wal-Mart, and that's when I found out that Kmart was one of Sam Walton's inspirations for what would become the modern day Walmart discount store.

ynkeesfn82

I saw a documentary on TV and it said one of KMART's problems (and I'm talking about the problems they were having in the early 80s) is they were not paying attention to Walmart. Their attitude was we don't care about them because they're from Arkansas. Their attitude being that Arkansas is down South and everyone down South are a bunch of dumb hicks.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on April 28, 2014, 09:41:53 AM
Their attitude was we don't care about them because they're from Arkansas. Their attitude being that Arkansas is down South and everyone down South are a bunch of dumb hicks.

Deadly attitude.  My dad always told me that when he was in the military the
smartest, sharpest people he ever encountered were all from little towns in the South.

Stork of The Weak

One big question I just can't figure out is... why was Kmart never hated the way Walmart now is? I'm sure some people have tried to stop Kmart store openings but you never hear about the evils of Kmart as a whole.

TRU7536

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 28, 2014, 02:29:37 PM
One big question I just can't figure out is... why was Kmart never hated the way Walmart now is? I'm sure some people have tried to stop Kmart store openings but you never hear about the evils of Kmart as a whole.

I think the easiest answer is, kmart kind of like Target aren't hated and consider the route of all evil.

Walmart thinks they own everything and everyone and can do whatever they want. Target and Kmart don't come in and ruin things like Walmart.

Ames Newington

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 29, 2014, 09:30:02 AM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 28, 2014, 02:29:37 PM

I think the easiest answer is, kmart kind of like Target aren't hated and consider the route of all evil.

Walmart thinks they own everything and everyone and can do whatever they want. Target and Kmart don't come in and ruin things like Walmart.

Back in the 70s, it appeared that Kmart, along with the regional chains like Ames, Bradlees, Caldor and the others, all sort of co-existed and took their share of the market equally, and one chain wasn't any more aggressive than the other. They were competitive, though in a good way. Kmart may have been bigger than the others, but I think they were like Target (as mentioned above) and Kohls. They opened stores, but never overtook everyone else at the rate Walmart is now. I think Walmart is just different, in not the best way. It took Walmart to put all the other stores out of business.