Main Menu

Focus

Started by C. Fontaine, February 21, 2007, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Well, that little red Focus you may have noticed scattered around my photo collections has finally met its maker.  At approximately 4:40 PM February 20th, 2007 my 2001 Ford Focus ZTS took a head on hit at 60 mph from a full size Ford Econoline van on Rt. 146/146A merger in Woonsocket, RI.  It went from this:

C. Fontaine

To this.  It ultimately saved my life.

Marc82

Holy Crap! Glad to know you're okay. *Cues up funeral music*  I'll start a Get Chris some new wheels fund. :) [The funeral music's for the car not you]

C. Fontaine

Lol, thanks.  I am glad I'm still alive.  I've added what pictures I took to a new photo gallery I'm working on for everyone.  Feel free to register!

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/focus/end/

HoJofan206

Sorry to hear about your car.  Glad to hear you are ok.

dmx10101

wow, all I can say is wow.

That was quite a crash, you are very lucky to have walked away from that. Glad you made it out ok.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Zayre88

my god!  I'm happy to learn that you're okay!  When you thing about it, that first accident in this previous post was not so bad after all...!  http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=568

My own accident was nothing compared to your crash!  That Focus is strong.

amesman

woah.. man, that's not cool. I'm glad you're ok.

C. Fontaine

Thanks for the support guys, it is appreciated!  It's great to know your all here.  I'm really feeling the whiplash and soreness now:(.

Caldor1999

look like an adcdent my frined got into glad your ok
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

NJxxJon

WOW. sorry to see that. ...thought RI had safer drivers :hurt:
JN

C. Fontaine

I saw this in the paper a while ago, according to a GMAC Insurance nationwide survey, RI ahs the worst drivers in all of the US!  http://www.gmacinsurance.com/Press/NDTNationalElectronicRelease_052405.asp

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I saw this in the paper a while ago, according to a GMAC Insurance nationwide survey, RI ahs the worst drivers in all of the US!

Let me start by saying I'm glad you're fine, Chris. You've made an impact with your Ames Fan Club and you're greatly appreciated for doing so. Car accidents are just too frightening to imagine. Glad I've been so lucky myself these past bunch of years driving.

Let begin by saying I'm not a racer; never "raced" anyone in my life, not a speeder. I'm just one who likes to go along with ease and at pretty steady paces. My average speed is probably 45-60 on major roads, like most people drive in Connecticut. However....

I believe New Hampshire is home to the worst, numbest, dullest pack of motorists I've ever seen but not entirely the fault of those very drivers.

The NH DOT is downright silly as they havent updated many of their one-lane major routes eliminating the ability to pass easily (without putting a person in danger). This of course, in junction with the horrid speed limits, clog roads up if just one person is being obedient. Mind you, there are very few highways in Southern NH, so you're stuck getting somewhere by taking ONE ROAD ONE LANE all the way there.

The speed limits are silly and often haphazard (35 on wide-lane roads might suddenly become 50 and then 30). The police ae also pretty stern on speeders on roads which deem reasonable over limits which most likely have conditioned natives to keep it slow. Still... is going 5 or 10 over limit a crime?!

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to drive in NH because so many drivers are zombies. They all follow the speed limit (who goes 35?! I don't even go 35 in snow and thats not unreasonable!), they refuse to pass someone in the oversized sholder lanes.

Let me end my rant by saying in my hometown of Connecticut, I have been driving since Fall 2001 and have never gotten in an accident where my car has been harmed and other motorists were involved. I've hit a median once and even got into a minor close call my first week out, but none otherwise. I've never gotten a speeding ticket in Connecticut (one warning, not for speeding but for accidently merging into a lane... in front of a cop).

IN NEW HAMPSHIRE, the only other state I've gotten an issued ticket, I have had about five warning tickets issued in the past year and a half of being there, one unpaid ticket. My habits are indifferent in both states. Ridiculous? I think so. I average about one or two passes in the opposing lane each time I'm there, not proud of them, but I do them wisely and safely.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

I can testify that Nick is a good driver. And I was surprised that he's not a crazy driver, like so many others are at his age. I wonder what kind of driver I'll be when I get my license in 16 days. (Note: tell the state of Connecticut to get all the cars off the road). Sometimes when I'm out with the driving instructor he has to tell me I'm going too slow or too fast. As someone who's learning to drive, I'm trying to be careful.

And Nick, I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this one. The last time I was out with the instructor he took me on Route 9 by the Target in New Britain and I was going only 45, where the speed limit's 65. It was my first time on any highway and I was scared to death. I finally avearage out at about 53 by time I reached the Queen Street Exit off of I-84.

C. Fontaine

Thanks Xismzero!  It was the scariest experience of my life, I'm glad to be alive and glad to have this community.  I agree, NH is pretty bad.  I've had some run-ins on my way to Hampton Beach and Manchester / Goffstown.  I am also not a racer.  I do have a heavy foot, but mostly an affinity for giving my car a sporty, aftermarket look.  The thing I liked most about my Focus was that it was unique, at least to the general locale around here.  Not to sound self-centered, but I liked knowing there weren't any other Foci around looking quite like mine...

Now I am back to a stock, Liquid Grey 2003 Ford Focus, I didn't think twice about buying another after surviving something like that.

C. Fontaine

dmx10101

wow you're famous now, well atleast your car is anyway. It said you were an unidentified driver.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org