Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

BIRDS EYE VIEW = fun places to sneak.
JN

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
ANOTHER POSSIBLE VACANT BRADLEES FOUND IN FOXBORO, MASS.

Credit: Live Maps

I just called the JOB LOT in the same plaza. The person who answered confirmed the Bradlees is still there, and vacant. I'm hoping to get out there next week for some pictures, stay tuned!
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's the vacant Bradlees in FOXBORO, MASS.

IT IS STILL VACANT AS OF JANUARY 8, 2008. Pictures taken today.

Opened in May 1982, closed in 2001 with the chain.

It is the last true vacant Bradlees in the entire state and is kind of in the middle of nowhere.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

FOXBORO, MASS. January 8, 2008.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

FOXBORO, MASS. 1-8-08.

Still vacant, has fixtures/counters inside that are brown! This must have been an ancient store but also was probably something else before Bradlees (notice pinholes/label scar).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Nice find!  Looks like they bricked up a section of windows next to the doors and to the far left.  That plaza and building remind me of Foxboro, very nice clean cut town.  No graffiti or vandalism!

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Nice find!  Looks like they bricked up a section of windows next to the doors and to the far left.  That plaza and building remind me of Foxboro, very nice clean cut town.  No graffiti or vandalism!

Yes I was surprised at how clean the building was on the frontage -- and this one has been vacant since at least 2001. Buildings unused for that long usually have boarded windows, spray paint, etc. The plaza is somewhat distressed, but the area seemed very pleasant.

Also, this building must've been used for other use because there were new monitors for cash registers and plastic bags (from Stop & Shop oddly enough) seen inside.

Here's the full gallery of images on Flickr
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Lastdaysofrain

That Ocean State Job lot there looks HUGE, looks like it's in an old movie theatre or something

greg8370

That is a big Ocean Stae but perhaps it was an old Stop & Shop since Bradlees and S&S were the same company it one time and often shared plazas.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by greg8370
That is a big Ocean Stae but perhaps it was an old Stop & Shop since Bradlees and S&S were the same company it one time and often shared plazas.

That's what I was thinking but it seems too bizarre looking to have been a Stop & Shop. The Job Lot smelled like an old department store (like Bradlees, Caldor and Kmart) and was rather dingy inside.

The Foxboro Bradlees opened in Spring 1982, not sure what it replaced.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

standa

The live maps seem to have good photos.  I would like to know the web address for them.

Thank you.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
The live maps seem to have good photos.  I would like to know the web address for them.

Thank you.

http://maps.live.com/

Live Maps is certainly fun to use but don't be fooled --  some of the birdseyes are years old while some are very recent. Since they don't date the imagery, there's no definitive way to tell. Of course, when you're looking at your local mall and it still says "Filenes," that's a dead giveaway of sorts.

Also note, some angles on the Birdseye feature are from different times/years (usually ranges from months apart), so check out all the angles. I'll give you an example, I was looking at the site of the now departed Fairfield Mall and saw the Bradlees being demolished while the other angle showed it gone already.

It's a wonderful and somewhat addictive tool especially when you can't get out to see the location. Of course, if you want to know if some things are still there, you can always call a nearby retailer and just ask yourself.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by standa

Thank you.

http://maps.live.com/

Live Maps is certainly fun to use but don't be fooled --  some of the birdseyes are years old while some are very recent. Since they don't date the imagery, there's no definitive way to tell. Of course, when you're looking at your local mall and it still says "Filenes," that's a dead giveaway of sorts.

Also note, some angles on the Birdseye feature are from different times/years (usually ranges from months apart), so check out all the angles. I'll give you an example, I was looking at the site of the now departed Fairfield Mall and saw the Bradlees being demolished while the other angle showed it gone already.

It's a wonderful and somewhat addictive tool especially when you can't get out to see the location. Of course, if you want to know if some things are still there, you can always call a nearby retailer and just ask yourself.

I've been using this recently and have noticed what you mean. I was looking at a Super Kmart and one angle it open with  quite a few cars in the parking lot and the next angle it was out of business and the name wasn't even on the building anymore. Is there anyway to save the zoomed images in the birds eye view? cause I couldn't find a way.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

standa

I remember my local Bradlees had for a few years in the 1980s a snack bar called Tulip.  Does anyone remember it at other Bradlees stores?

greg8370

Sure--my New London store had that style of snack bar, called "tulip"--it came from a tulip shape in the back of the bar stool and the colors on the wall of the snack bar.

davidsky

3 of my brothers worked at Bradlees in Poughkeepsie NY

AmesNewington1

I can't figure out if Newington had one. They did have a snack bar, but it closed around the time I was born. When I went to the Bristol store in the 90s, they did have one. That store always smelled like popcorn. I'll never forget that.

XISMZERO

Here's the Bradlees on Reidville Drive in WATERBURY, CT. Found it on the town's assessor database. Wish the picture was larger. It's become a Sealy Sleep Center and Raymour and Flanagan now.

I also remember how the Bristol store smelled like popcorn.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

vacant Bradlees in Woodbury NJ as of January 22, 2008.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
vacant Bradlees in Woodbury NJ as of January 22, 2008.

bradlees in woodbury nj.

Caldor1999

looks like they reused some of parts of that bradlees nice find
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

ANOTHER VACANT BRADLEES FOUND IN HAZLET, NJ.

I got an email from someone claiming it's still there and that the sign still lights up at night!

There's still FIVE total vacant ones in Jersey: Woodbury, Ventnor, Hamilton (was only Bradlees for one year, a former Caldor), Stratford and Hazlet. Wow!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Anonymous

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsky

Where was this one?

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsky

Where was this one?

It's on South Road, right down the road from IBM. There's a Stop & Shop next door. It's Linens 'n Things, Michael's and Office Depot now. It closed before the chain closed.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's an old picture of the Bradlees in West Hartford, Conn from The Hartford Courant. It was open from 1967 until 1973. I suspect they closed this one as nearby stores in Hartford and Wethersfield were more successful.

Today, it's a Whole Foods Market (formerly Wild Oats).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

Here's an old picture of the Bradlees in West Hartford, Conn from The Hartford Courant. It was open from 1967 until 1973. I suspect they closed this one as nearby stores in Hartford and Wethersfield were more successful.

find more please!

XISMZERO

Here's an old postcard of Torrington Plaza where there was a Bradlees from 1967 until the early 1990s (possibly 1992-1993). You can see Bradlees on the far right.

From CardCow.com.

And by the way, good to see you again Dan!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's the former Bradlees in Cromwell, CT. It opened in 1983, closed probably ten years later. It's now a larger Super Stop & Shop.

Picture from The Hartford Courant.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

RogerAnthony

Wow.  I grew up in West Hartford and never knew that spot used to be a Bradlees.  It was Service Merchandise when I was growing up.

XISMZERO

A VACANT BRADLEES IN TOMS RIVER, NJ! I wonder if it's really still there!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr