Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

some reving signs that i wanna take but im gonna need plyers or something to get them off there also high up to >_<
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and yet again i got a peaice of the logo i think it s a part of the a

i found it just lyeing on the ground im guussing when the logo strted to fall apart the wind must have blown it off or that roof were it was im luckey i fopund it when i cleand it off some of the red startede to come off to im gussing they spray painted the logo or something
Caldor Forever!

TRU7536

AmesNewington where did you get the Bradlees Newington pic, i have been looking everywhere for that. I forgot how old and ghetto Bradlees looked, that plaza looks so much different now

AmesNewington

I found these pics on a site specifically for Newington properties. The site is newington.univers-clt.com, and has every house and site in Newington on record you can think of. I found many stores, however they are not current, they were done during the 2000 census period I believe.

Enjoy!

d_fife

here is bradlees news in new city ny

from christina jeng of http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060312/NEWS03/603120330/1019/NEWS03

NEW CITY

Few stores have survived within the nearly 19-acre lot that is now a mostly vacant and desolate place.

They are a dimly lit Walgreens Pharmacy, a Laundry Depot, the New City Dry Cleaners and a McDonald's restaurant. Each has its committed customers, but the bleak and barren shopping center between North Main Street and Route 304 hardly attracts any new faces, residents said.

"It doesn't look inviting," 18-year-old Michelle Ojeda said one recent day.

Ojeda stood amid a vast parking lot that served flocks of birds, but few cars.

"People go to Walgreens because they know it's here, but if you didn't live here, you probably wouldn't," she said.

"It's a very depressing area," said Mia Choi, owner of New City Dry Cleaners.

Pending approvals from the town of Clarkstown, Ojeda, Choi and many like them just might get the thriving center they want. Owner Alfred Weissman of MAK Development Corp., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., has plans to revive the dormant shopping center and the site of a long vacant Bradlees discount store.

He's leased space to Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC. Its Super Stop & Shop, offering groceries, home delivery service and gasoline pumps, would be the anchor store.

Weissman also intends to acquire the historic New City train station, restore it and move it to the center, which would be renovated to create a railroad motif.

People perked up at the thought of new shops at the center. Ojeda said she'd like to see an after-school center at the plaza.

After more thought, the Clarkstown North High School student said, "Definitely a clothing store or something. Like a cool food place."

Tom McCorry, 34, of New City was not so picky. He said, pointing to the deteriorating Bradlees building, "Anything looks better than that."

The gradual shuttering of the shopping center, which first opened in 1966, began in 1996 when a Waldbaum's supermarket closed. In 2000, the bankruptcy of the Bradlees retail chain closed their store. New City Grill, a free-standing restaurant, also closed at the site, as well as the Maxi City Delicatessen and Restaurant. There is an abandoned pizza shop and a closed card shop.

Tracy Neumann, 28, who has lived in the hamlet for 15 years, recalled the plaza's past glory.

"It was busier, nicer; it felt more like a community," she said.

Weissman attributed Bradlees closing to the company's inability to adapt to consumer demands.

"They did not move fast enough in terms of meeting the needs of the consumer," he said.

Stop & Shop could, he said.

"That is the credo of the Stop & Shop merchants," he said, "to provide the consumer with what he needs as the consumer's needs change."

According to an outline submitted to the Clarkstown Planning Board, the proposed renovations will include:

? architectural designs drawn from historic train stations,

? more than 800 trees and shrubs to soften the appearance of the parking lot,

? enhanced buffers,

? pedestrian travel routes, and

? an improved lighting system.

But before any work can be done, the Clarkstown Town Board must approve design plans and an amendment to the town code that would permit gas pumps in community shopping areas by special permit.

The amendment would permit Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC to sell its own brand of fuel at the site, a plan many have said would bring in too much traffic and also drive nearby gas stations out of business.

"We have enough gas stations," Neumann said.

"We need a car wash," she suggested as an alternative.

Weissman's Alfred Weissman Real Estate, a Yonkers-based company, also is the owner of the newly renovated CVS/pharmacy at 280 S. Main St. Both projects have been praised by town officials as the start of New City's downtown revitalization.

The town Planning Board worked with Weissman and his son, Alan, to design the CVS so that it would complement a future New City. The CVS is to open in April, Weissman said.

Clarkstown began its New City revitalization efforts earlier this month. It hired Behan Planning Associates LLP, a Saratoga Springs firm that will conduct surveys, organize public meetings and ultimately come up with a comprehensive downtown New City redesign incorporating the community's ideas.

Caldor1999

i dont think stop&shop will move there they have a store not that far away and i dident know that was a waldbaums before but i doubt anything will happn there in awile
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

bradlees in fields corner (Dorchester) mass on geneva ave. this bradlees was small and 50,000 sf and opened 1965. In the sales brochere, many products listed said not available in fields corner. the bradlees in dorchester on morrissey blvd was 1.5 miles away.

from  http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17501

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
AmesNewington where did you get the Bradlees Newington pic, i have been looking everywhere for that. I forgot how old and ghetto Bradlees looked, that plaza looks so much different now

ive been sefrching for years to find a pic of teh caldor in bedford hills ny and ive had no luck but who knows maby somoneenn will find it i know how u feell about the bradlees pic but yea what store was that before????
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

ive been sefrching for years to find a pic of teh caldor in bedford hills ny and ive had no luck but who knows maby somoneenn will find it i know how u feell about the bradlees pic but yea what store was that before????

it was always a bradlees. IT is now Bds discount store and they reused the old B d S from the bradlees logo.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

it was always a bradlees. IT is now Bds discount store and they reused the old B d S from the bradlees logo.

i thought the Newington one became wal mart ??? unless your tlaking about another one
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

i thought the Newington one became wal mart ??? unless your tlaking about another one

the one I mean by saying it was a bradlees that became Bds discount store was in fields corner mass. you are right, the one in newington became a wal-mart and was the bradlees there very big?

Caldor1999

the one I mean by saying it was a bradlees that became Bds discount store was in fields corner mass. you are right, the one in newington became a wal-mart and was the bradlees there very big?

idk about the new city ones but from looking at it it was a avrage size for a braldees the outside of it is falling apart im suprized they dident close ths one in 1996 with the frist wave of closings the only braldees i have ever been to wer ethe ones in elmsford witch closed in 1996 and was verey dirty idk what it is now i think its a move theatehr now or a sams club and i wen tto the one in yonkers withc was verey bigit had 2 flors but the sevgice there sucked as did the one in elmsford thats why i dident liek them that much and wetshctser county had more caldors then it did braldees and im still going crazy trying to find a pic of the caldor in bedford hills ny witch was the one that was liek 5 mis away from me
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

the one in yonkers was bright because it opened in 1993.

Some of the older ones I (like North andover mass and the nashua mall in nh) were not as well lit and had brown wallpaper and some of the isles were labeled in black and some isles were lebeled in orange letters. but the one in the nashua mall opened in 1983. The lettering for those were dark.

do remember any bradlees with  that kind of wallpaper.

most bradlees I went to had grey wallpaper.

Caldor1999

the one in yonkers was bright because it opened in 1993.

Some of the older ones I (like North andover mass and the nashua mall in nh) were not as well lit and had brown wallpaper and some of the isles were labeled in black and some isles were lebeled in orange letters. but the one in the nashua mall opened in 1983. The lettering for those were dark.

do remember any bradlees with  that kind of wallpaper.

most bradlees I went to had grey wallpaper.

the onein elmsford had tiles that were red and white on the wall its kida looked like the grey and red stripes that caldor did on the walls of there newer stores aldo teh new city one had the same thnig
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Quick Review: Do we currently know of any condemned Bradlees locations in or around Connecticut? I think the last one I knew of was in Danbury and it's a fully developed Wal-Mart now.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Quick Review: Do we currently know of any condemned Bradlees locations in or around Connecticut? I think the last one I knew of was in Danbury and it's a fully developed Wal-Mart now.

there is one in stradford CT its in a shopping center called the dock its in good condishion too when i went there lats june hears a pic of it
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Drat! (yes, I just said drat) I was in that area yesterday when I went to East Haven. I have a heavy doubt it still exists -- Stop & Shop and Wal-Marts are quickly snatching those remaining Bradlees properties.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

UPDATE Thanks to Fontaine's story about his report on stumbling across an abandoned plaza featuring a dilapidated Bradlees behind the Manchester Parkade, I have gone this morning and I come back with a slew of pictures (about 40). I will post them all soon (by this weekend or early next week) so everyone stayed tuned!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here are some previews of my photos from the abandoned Stop & Shop/Bradlees lot which still exists today on the Broad St. Manchester Parkade in Connecticut. As you know, C. Fontaine informed us all about this lot and I'm here to confirm it still exists, abandoned and unclaimed today. There's another perk as well: no snow and no police interruptions! I will have the full album up by early next week so stay tuned!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's one of the plaza. You can see evidence of this plaza's age as well as an old Stop & Shop which has relocated to the lot across the way.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

i wish it wasnet bored up
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

the one in concord nh is. They have to board them up so homeless people do not go and live in there and live there.

Caldor1999

the one in concord nh is. They have to board them up so homeless people do not go and live in there and live there.

how come some stores are not bored up ? and how would a  home less peron get in there when evreythings ualsy locked and if the  get in there its darke and creepy i dont know who would want to live in a old bradlees or caldor or ames ect
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

how come some stores are not bored up ? and how would a  home less peron get in there when evreythings ualsy locked and if the  get in there its darke and creepy i dont know who would want to live in a old bradlees or caldor or ames ect

some not boarded up may have something to do with age of the building and maybe because those boarded up bradlees were near areas that have not much retail activity. them being locked ,they could break in.

Caldor1999

some not boarded up may have something to do with age of the building and maybe because those boarded up bradlees were near areas that have not much retail activity. them being locked ,they could break in.

yea the one in new city is verey runed down therealot of garbage in the back of it to and theres town houses but the intire plazza is dead its just like the onme inmanchster CT only with one store open thats it
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

The bradlees is at the VERY LEFT End. it was 78,295 square feet.

It is now a Bigger stop and shop.

Wow! This picture is from Bristol, CT!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Has anyone mentioned that there's an abandoned Bradlees on Park Street in Hartford, CT? I've actually seen this building many times as you can see it right off I-84 (in the Hartford area) but I've been told many horror stories about going in or near the notorious Park St. in Hartford next to a Save-a-Lot store seeing as my dad's worked in the west end for decades.

I'd love to snap photos of it all but there's hardly anything left on the building except a lot of graffiti where the signage used to be that will prove it was Bradlees aside from the familar building architecture. If the Bradlees sign was still there, I might risk it but only if I had maybe a few friends to come with me!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Anonymous

There were two near me, and they are both stores I don't care for now (Giant Food and Wal-Mart), but it could have been worse... Home Depot or even Kohl's!:insane::insane::insane::insane: