Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

hears a full view of teh storwe but 4 some resion i dont think this is the new city NY bradlees many because the outside looks runed down
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

from these pictures it looks liek bradlees was kida copying caldor in a wai with the grey carpits and teh red line around them:P    

but what bradlees faikled to do was keep tyhere stores upto date im guessing thats one of teh resions why they went out
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Bradlees Newington is on the top left hand side.

TRU, are you talking about Newington, NH?
That's not the Newington CT one. I remember it, and it was darker and the sign was directly in the middle of the "hood" to the entrance. Finally, there were all doors in the entrance. Close though. Thanks for posting.

storehistoryguy

store215

5 Years to the day that Bradlees declared bankruptcy.:(

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
5 Years to the day that Bradlees declared bankruptcy.:)

Wow. I forgot that was today.

d_fife

this bradlees was in Tospham maine in the topsham fair mall. It opened in 1985, was 82,500 square feet and closed in may 1996, the first wave of bankruptcy closings

the building is at the very left hand end and it is now village candle.

from http://www.stevecaron.com/topsham_shopping.htm

store215

An image from their better days:

store215

store215

Inside the Framingham, Mass. store from late 1998

store215

Other images: (unknown location)

store215

store215

Zayre88

I'm almost sure that these signs at the former Marden's in Waterville were from Bradlees...  compare with the pictures recently posted!

dayville81

QuoteOriginally posted by greg8370
I heard from a good source the East Haven (#890) Bradlees has been knocked down after standing empty for nine years but the Toy's R Us building is still up.
I drove on I-95 in East Haven last week, both buildings are gone. Now it is just an empty lot. I went to the East Haven Bradlees before. It used to be near an old K-mart. The Bradlees definately wasn't remodeled and wasnt that good of a store. After Bradlees closed up, it hurt Toys R Us. Nobody wanted to go to that Toys R Us because people kept breaking into the Bradlees next door and it looked ghetto with graffiti all over it. They painted over the grafiti numerous times and had to board up all the windows. Toys R Us then closed and both buildings were severly vandalized. Hopefully the site wont just stay an empty lot.

storehistoryguy

Ahhh, those Bradlees pics bring back very good memories. :)

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
unknown location

probably a new york store.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
hears the pic of the  Pittsfield, MA Bradlees its cool how the lights are still on and look at all  the planit life suringding it

this is even worse than the last time I saw the store. I was in pittsfield last year and I saw some of it gated off and not as much grass was on the ground!!! I heard it may become Dick's, Iparty and Bed bath and beyond.

it looks liek it was a woolco but any way most of teh braldeees that wehad near us were run dowm ooking just like that one is

It was never a woolco. I remember reading an article on the Pittsfield paper about Bradlees closing and it said Bradlees opened there in October 1965. The bradlees in Westbrook Maine and Woburn massachusetts looked like this one.

it looks simaler to the bradlees in new city NY in a way only im guessing thsi one was bulit in the 1970's this one also clsoed in 2001

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060111/NEWS03/601110414/1019/NEWS03
says
Developers set to revitalize New City shopping center
By CHRISTINA JENG
THE JOURNAL NEWS
If you go

What: A public hearing will be held to discuss MAK Development Corp. and Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC's petition to amend a town code that would allow it to install gasoline kiosks.

When: 7:30 p.m. Jan. 19

Where: Town Hall, 10 Maple Ave., New City

(Original publication: January 11, 2006)

NEW CITY ? Renovations at a mostly vacant shopping center on Calvary Drive that has been considered a blight by many are set to begin this year pending approvals.

The nearly 19-acre property, between North Main Street and Route 304, is the site of an abandoned Bradlees discount store.

"It looks like a ghost town," Adrianne Garcia of New City said yesterday. She was picking up flu medicine at the neighboring Walgreens supermarket, one of the few operating stores left at the strip mall.

"There shouldn't be a ghost town where people live," she said. "There should be stores and things happening."

The owner of the shopping center, MAK Development Corp. of Englewood Cliffs, N.J., partnering with Yonkers-based developer Alfred Weissman Real Estate, has plans to revive the shopping center. It intends to acquire the old New City train station from Vanderbilt Lumber, restore it and move it to the property to create a railroad motif.

It also has leased the facility to Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC. Stop & Shop, which would be the anchor store, is seeking to install four gasoline pumps to sell its own brand of fuel.

For that to happen, the Town Board has to approve an amendment of the town code that would allow gas pumps in community shopping zones by special permit.

Though people say they are pleased with the design and the future activity at the site, some are opposed to Stop & Shop selling gasoline.

"The design is beautiful, I've seen it," said Martin Bernstein, a community activist who has headed several civic associations.

But he said having gas kiosks was a mistake.

"We already have four gas stations," he said. "Secondly, this is going to attract even more traffic on North Main Street."

MAK Development Corp. and Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC are to come before the Planning Board to discuss the proposed amendment at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 19 at Town Hall. A public hearing will also be held that night.

Alfred Weissman Real Estate also is the owner of the newly renovated CVS at 280 S. Main St. Both projects have been praised by town officials as the start of New City's downtown revitalization. The town Planning Board had worked with Weissman and his son, Alan, to design the CVS so that it would complement a future New City.

They were asked to use traditional and natural materials, such as wood and brick, rather than the cheaper materials they intended to use, such as stucco or asphalt, for the building's facade.

They added other details, such as old-fashioned gooseneck light fixtures and hand-carved wooden signs. Eventually, they said, they plan to add these details to the rest of the stores in the shopping center where the CVS sits, which they also own.

"His CVS and the Bradlees are shining examples of a new New City," Town Supervisor Alex Gromack said of Alfred Weissman. "He's hopeful, if things move along, he could have it open in December of '06."

Gromack said the town and county were in the beginning stages of coming up with a redesign for New City. Both intend to ask civic and commerce groups as well as residents to discuss changes and renovations they would like to see.

Clarkstown recently hired Behan Planning Associates LLP, a Saratoga Springs, N.Y.-based company, to organize public meetings starting in February. The town and county will split Behan's fee, which is a maximum of $153,700.

The company should have a design plan implementing the suggestions by the end of the year, Gromack said.

"The look of New City will have the imprint of the people," Gromack said.

d_fife

here is the target that was once bradlees in the sangertown mall in new hartford. I heard they had a Bradlees in Utica in riverdale mall 5 miles away that closed in the 3rd wave of closings. it closed in 1998. the bradlees that became targets were in Somerville mass, watertown mass, kingston mass, new hartford ny. it opened 1980.

from http://www.pyramidmg.com/portfolio/sangertown_square.asp

d_fife

bradlees started in 1958 in new london conn and named after bradley airport in windsor locks.

bradlees in concord will be demolished in the spring to become lowe's.

which others are vacant: new city ny, horseheads ny, some in new jersey, pittsfield mass, roslindale mass, hartford ct, manchester ct, stratford ct.

dayville81

Where was the old Bradlees in Hartford, CT

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
Where was the old Bradlees in Hartford, CT

on park ave and built in 1967, 65,000 square feet, it was one of th stores in the sale brochures listed under not available in this store and brdgeport ct was listed under that and so was roslindale and ventnor nj. the one in fields corner mass was listed under that under a lot of things

Caldor1999

bradlees started in 1958 in new london conn and named after bradley airport in windsor locks.

bradlees in concord will be demolished in the spring to become lowe's.

which others are vacant: new city ny, horseheads ny, some in new jersey, pittsfield mass, roslindale mass, hartford ct, manchester ct, stratford ct.
ive been to the new city location and the Stradford one i think the Stradford one is gonna be torndown soon cause they were working on it last time i was there vereything was removed inside teh store
Caldor Forever!

powersbt

Actually, this Target store was never Bradlees. It is in the former location of Bradlees, but was never Bradlees. The entire Bradlees store, and a small section of the Bradlees wing were torn down to build the Target. Stores impacted by the new Target were given the chance to move elsewhere in the store. One certain slot in that wing of the mall was the site of the Former O'Tooles Restaurant, Sangertown Conference Center, Lauriats Bookstore, and finally a Dollar Store. It was a struggle to keep tenants in that spot for a long period of time. The Bradlees closed in January of 2000, whenever the Final Round of Closings occurred. I remember Customers being Furious because they were having a lot of problems returning items to the store, especially Christmas gifts.

You are correct, there was a Bradlees in Utica in the Riverside Mall, now known as Riverside Center. Bradlees escaped the Pink Slip when they decided to turn the mall into the Strip Mall, and was still in business when the Strip Mall was completed. It was around the time that AC Moore took over the Food Court that this Bradlees store closed. 1998 sounds a little early, more like '99. The Shell of this store still exists, and since then has housed tenants such as Office Max, Rex, and Old Navy. The only tenant remaining in the Former Bradlees space currently is a $.99 store.

One last tidbit, the guys from Downstate NY can correct me here if I'm wrong, but last I knew there was still a vacant Bradlees store in Middletown NY. Last I saw it, it still had the sign on the store, and everything.

here is the target that was once bradlees in the sangertown mall in new hartford. I heard they had a Bradlees in Utica in riverdale mall 5 miles away that closed in the 3rd wave of closings. it closed in 1998. the bradlees that became targets were in Somerville mass, watertown mass, kingston mass, new hartford ny. it opened 1980.

from http://www.pyramidmg.com/portfolio/sangertown_square.asp

greg8370

A CarMax car dealership will be on the East Haven site.

d_fife

here is the bradlees in fairfield CT. it is an old looking store and not too big and has the old school bradlees sign. must have been built in the 1960s.

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1137810080&subNum=12209000265

d_fife

here is the bradlees in fairfield CT. it is an old looking store and not too big and has the old school bradlees sign. must have been built in the 1960s.

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1137810080&subNum=12209000265

a zoom out of the bradlees in fairfield ct

d_fife

a zoom out of the bradlees in fairfield ct

closer pic of the bradlees in fairfield Ct. no pics of the one in bridgeport Ct were found, but it says the one in bridgeport was 62,000 square feet and part of it is Aj wright and the one in bridgeport was one of the stores were not all products were available.

d_fife

here is the bradlees in norwalk connecticut that was 130,000 square feet and 113,000 of it is now norwalk's 2nd wal-mart.  opened 1967

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1137810730&subNum=10209001046

d_fife

here is the bradlees in norwalk connecticut that was 130,000 square feet and 113,000 of it is now norwalk's 2nd wal-mart.  opened 1967

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1137810730&subNum=10209001046

more of the bradlees in norwalk ct. before it looked different before it closed