Staples to close 225 stores by 2015

Started by ynkeesfn82, March 06, 2014, 09:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

When the economy is down for an extended period of time, it's not good for any business
that supplies offices (office supplies, office furniture, coffee and plant services, etc.)

Stork of The Weak

Will the OfficeMax stores be renamed Office Depot? I know this isn't really related to Staples but none of the three office store chains are talked about on this board much at all. The OfficeMax logo hasn't changed at all in the 25 years OfficeMax has existed, so I'm thinking the new company might kill the brand. Office Depot though has closed a similar number of stores, so neither brand is doing very well at all. It seems Staples is trying to make their new stores much smaller than the older ones, which seems to be the opposite of what they should be doing, enlarging to differentiate themselves from the other two chains that just merged.

store215

Personally, I think the OfficeMax name is stronger than Depot....at least in the Northeast (Office Depot was based around Florida).
And Staples should not be enlarging stores....if anything, they have more space than necessary. I have heard from workers that they are now being shipped random merchandise (as seen on TV products, dog biscuits, etc.) just to fill shelves. They are trying to be a one-stop-shop for small businesses (like a mini Costco I guess), but It seems like a desperate move to me.

MikeRa

Quote from: MBZ321 on April 04, 2014, 08:33:50 PM
Personally, I think the OfficeMax name is stronger than Depot....at least in the Northeast (Office Depot was based around Florida).
And Staples should not be enlarging stores....if anything, they have more space than necessary. I have heard from workers that they are now being shipped random merchandise (as seen on TV products, dog biscuits, etc.) just to fill shelves. They are trying to be a one-stop-shop for small businesses (like a mini Costco I guess), but It seems like a desperate move to me.
I agree.  There is only 3 Office Depot that are near Philadelphia, PA, and all 3 are in New Jersey.  There is at 7 Office Max in the Philadelphia area, 2 in Philadelphia itself (at 7231 Roosevelt Boulevard, and at 9755 Roosevelt Boulevard)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"