Subway puts itself on the block

Started by retailisking, June 18, 2018, 12:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The struggling sandwich chain has hired Bain Capital to look at strategic alternatives
https://nypost.com/2018/06/17/subway-hires-bain-to-help-with-sales-slump/

giantsfan2016

That's the "kiss of death". Oh well. Firehouse Subs and Jersey Mike's are better sandwich chains anyway.

MikeinBuffalo

Subway has nothing going for it anymore. It's just too "meh." Chains like Corelife Eatery up here in WNY and Chipotle, for example, have taken the mantle of "healthy" fast food away from them.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

esw01407

Subway for me is the best of the "generic" sub franchises, but they are WAYYY over extended. Too many in our area and they need to close about a 1/3rd of the chain.

I'd love to have a Firehouse Subs, they are nowhere close to me, and Chipotle is about an hour away.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: esw01407 on June 19, 2018, 11:15:25 AM
Subway for me is the best of the "generic" sub franchises, but they are WAYYY over extended. Too many in our area and they need to close about a 1/3rd of the chain.

Same here in Connecticut.

Bristol. Population 62,000

1197 Farmington Ave
1400 Farmington Ave (inside Walmart)
123 Farmington Ave Annex Plaza
300 Middle Street
45 North Main Street (Park Plaza)
815 Pine Street (Forestville section of town in the Stop and Shop Plaza)

Southington. Population 43,000

685 Queen Street (Southington Square)
244 Queen Street
1 North Main Street (downtown)
738 West Street
915 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike (Planstsville section of town)
1842 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike (Milldale section of town)

The one inside Walmart closed about 3 year ago.

esw01407

Our lineup in Bloomsburg PA, a town of 10,000, is off due to college kids.

1. Columbia Mall (Buckhorn) - In the mall
2. Buckhorn - Truck Stop - Literally across the street from the mall.
3. Bloomsburg - Downtown
4. Bloomsburg University Campus Franchisee (Closed when college is closed)
5. Scott Township - Giant Plaza

This isn't even all in the county. Mall location has changed owners at least once, and is the only food left in the mall. Mall is dying and several stores are now medical offices.

Bdubs

Once again, another chain that has over saturated. Wayyyy too many Subways very close to one another.  Like stated above, other fresh fast food restaurants are becoming the stop of choice for the younger generations too. I know I can get a hell of a lot more food at Moe’s, or a better tasting salad at Panera for example.
I am not trying to be racist, and I don’t mean this in any way but general concern, but some of these Indian run franchises are not that clean and I question some of the freshness of the items on the other side of the glass.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Bdubs on June 19, 2018, 07:29:39 PM
I am not trying to be racist, and I don’t mean this in any way but general concern, but some of these Indian run franchises are not that clean and I question some of the freshness of the items on the other side of the glass.

Not racist. Facts is facts, bro. KFC on Queen Street in Southington is one. (Not to mention they're in trouble with the CT Department of Labor). The now demolished Knights Inn on Queen was another. Hartford Health Care bought the motel, demolished it, and built a medical building in its place. Another was The Red Carpet Inn (now The Days Inn) on Queen Street. It went into foreclosure the bank spent millions converting it to the Days Inn. It's decent now. And the old Days Inn (Now the Black Mountain Inn) in Brattleboro Vermont. They spent a lot upgrading that one as well.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I guess Subway has to cut down on the expansion of their chain, close under-performing locations, update their top performing locations or move the restaurants to more prominent locations. I have a feeling that a third of the stores in my town will close while others relocate or renovate. Their only competition in my town includes Jimmy John's, Charley's, Jersey Mike's and Firehouse Subs. We used to have a few Quizno's Subs locations in my area, but they just closed a few years ago. If there's two Subway restaurants close by (example: one is located in a strip mall, plus one located inside the Walmart store across from the strip mall), one will close and one will renovate.

giantsfan2016

Blimpie's and Quizno's don't have much of a presence in Connecticut. They closed in both Bristol and Southington. The Southington one was downtown across the street from where Subway is now. This was an odd location. They closed early and were closed on Sundays.

Bristol has Firehouse Subs if you don't want Subway. Southington has Blimpie's in the Plantsville section of town and a local chain called Nardelli's on Queen Street. You may have heard of Nardelli's if you watch The Travel Channel or the A&E reality show Donnie Loves Jenny.

shore72

There was one in our small town, in the heart of a block of mostly empty storefronts. It was one of the few real successes down there & had friendly staff & a loyal clientele. The franchise owner pulled the plug, not because it wasn't making money but I think he might have been having health problems? The manager of another local Subway tried hard to get it but corporate bureaucracy killed it & now it's been turned into offices.

As for the mention of a Knight's Inn, off topic, but we stayed at one once. I am still disturbed that such a dump as that could be allowed a franchise with a major company. I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt but...it needed a visit from a Caterpillar D6!