Bed Bath & Beyond plans to close at least 40 stores this year but open 15 new

Started by TheFugitive, April 12, 2019, 11:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Bed, Bath & Beyond plans to close 40 stores this year, while at the same time opening 15 new ones.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/04/11/bed-bath-beyond-closings-least-40-locations-shuttered/3444217002/

Math was never my strong suit, but I do believe that is a net decrease of 25 stores.

TRU7536

They're closing BBB stores, while opening the companies other brand stores. Buy Buy Baby, Harmon Face Values and World Market have been expanding like crazy. BBB is losing, they're so overpriced and Amazon is beating them.

standa

In Hamden, CT they share a building with CVS. Is that a rare arrangement?

mixedday

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 12, 2019, 05:52:13 PM
They're closing BBB stores, while opening the companies other brand stores. Buy Buy Baby, Harmon Face Values and World Market have been expanding like crazy. BBB is losing, they're so overpriced and Amazon is beating them.

I like BBB but they are losing not only to Amazon, but brick and mortar competitors, like Costco, Walmart and Target.

With BBB, you have to use a 20% coupon for the price to be competitive. They are the one of the best (most generous) for returns.

I think one of the problems is BBB still subscribes to big box centers as their only place to be. It likes to be in the middle of big box centers but it's not the main anchor of these centers. Those main anchors are winners here. Granted, these centers as they are newer and cleaner than an old Kmart center, or a B mall.

For example, in my area it's a big box in between a large Wegmans and Target on one side, and a Costco on the other side. However, access into the Target and Costco is a lot easier and they sell comparable or equivalent items that BBB has as well. So, it's actually more work to go to the BBB or go out of one's way to really go to BBB. 

I don't know. Maybe it should follow the TJX HomeGoods/  Burlington  type model for retail. Sell a mix of quality things but make it like a treasure hunt experience. But then it won't be selling items like a Vitamix.

Or, consider at times, selecting sites with less competition, like a rehab of a closed Kmart that is away from Costco, than being in the middle tenant in a busy big box center that favors the anchor sites than the in the middle sites.