Dots going out of business

Started by retailisking, March 03, 2014, 09:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The women's fashion retailer that once boasted 400 locations (and planned to expand to more than 1,000) is liquidating its remaining 359 stores.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gordon-brothers-group-close-dots-133000261.html

Stork of The Weak

Good... now the one in Lancaster PA can make way for a bar/smoking area to connect to the Regal Cinemas next door.

jason83080

We hadn't been in a Dots store for the longest time (since, I believe, the original days of the all-lowercase Courier New logo, LONG before the fancy script-font one that they ended with), but, visiting the Elyria, OH one during this closure has shown me why they're going under. Also, the fact that said store - which is closing tomorrow - is still at least 2/3-filled with merchandise tells me that, even at 70% off, nobody wants their clothing.

BTW, this closing news must have been sudden, because a new location just opened not too long ago over in Lorain, OH's Lighthouse Village plaza (with the new logo outside and everything), and it was one of the first to close.

Hudsons81

Quote from: jason83080 on April 18, 2014, 08:50:16 PMBTW, this closing news must have been sudden, because a new location just opened not too long ago over in Lorain, OH's Lighthouse Village plaza (with the new logo outside and everything), and it was one of the first to close.

Well, something similar could be said to the Dots at the Gateway Plaza Shopping Center in Detroit, which opened with the center in July 2013 and had the new logo, making it really short-lived. I'm not sure when that closed, but as of September 2014, the sign was still up.

Anyways, I don't know the last time I went to my local Dots store, which was the one in the TJMaxx shopping center in Southgate, Michigan. When that closed, they immediately took the sign down.

Bdubs

The Dots in Norwich has reopened under a new owner. They are using the same logo and furnishings that were in there before. My friend's wife worked there through the closure, and the new owners called all old employees back if they wanted their job back.

AmesNewington

The one in West Hartford, CT is now a relocated Rainbow clothing store from the same plaza. They used the same fixtures as Dots.

store215

Well, apparently, Dots came back, opening under new management in a handful of locations earlier this year. But the company that restarted them is bankrutpt and now they are all closing after being back only a couple of months. Epic fail.
http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2015/05/07/simply-fashion-dots-stores-kick-off-going-out-of-business-sales/

Hudsons81

Quote from: store215 on May 28, 2015, 11:20:49 PM
Well, apparently, Dots came back, opening under new management in a handful of locations earlier this year. But the company that restarted them is bankrutpt and now they are all closing after being back only a couple of months. Epic fail.
http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2015/05/07/simply-fashion-dots-stores-kick-off-going-out-of-business-sales/

That has got to be the shortest-lived retailer revival I've ever heard of.

Bdubs

Yep. The one in Norwich has began liquidation. Again!  My friend's wife was brought back with the new ownership, and she now has to go through the same crap less than a year later.