Main Menu

The Red Green Show

Started by Hudsons81, November 07, 2014, 09:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsons81

The Red Green Show is a Canadian sitcom which aired in Canada from 1991 until April 7, 2006. There had been a total of exactly 300 episodes, several specials (including five Christmas-themed episodes) and a theatrical movie, Duct Tape Forever. It stars Toronto-born Steve Smith (who also co-created the show with Rick Green) as the titular character, Red Green.

It is set at Possum Lodge, located in the fictional rural Ontario town of Possum Lake, in which a fictional television show (also titled The Red Green Show) is filmed.

The Red Green character, however, predates the show-his first appearance was on another show Smith created that ran from 1979 to 1985. Since 2010, Smith has gone on annual performance tours across the States and Canada as Red Green. In fact, I just went to one of these shows tonight in Taylor, Michigan, which was where I also purchased a Possum Lodge baseball cap. I also own the 2000 Season DVD.

The show had ran for years on PBS, beginning with a test run in the early 1990's on WTVS in Detroit. Reruns still air on several PBS stations to this date.

There is an entire wiki relating to this show that I am a regular contributor on-I am known there as "MattDet". It's located at http://redgreen.wikia.com/wiki/The_Red_Green_Wiki.

Do you have any idea if the show is still airing on PBS in your area?

TheFugitive

I tried to like The Red Green Show, I really did.

I even spent a whole lot of time in rural Michigan around people who were very much
like all of the characters on that show. 

I tried to like it, I did.  I just honestly did not find it to be all that funny.

Granted my expectations for a Canadian comedy show were extremely high
after SCTV.

Ameskid

As far as I could tell, The Red Green Show was aimed at the sort of viewing audience who genuinely believed that, for instance, fault lines could be patched with duct tape.

It was on PBS (WCET) a few years ago here, but I think it stopped airing around 2008 or so.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TheFugitive

Quote from: Ameskid on November 29, 2014, 01:24:43 AM
As far as I could tell, The Red Green Show was aimed at the sort of viewing audience who genuinely believed that, for instance, fault lines could be patched with duct tape.

Yup.  Yoopers and Michigan Militia-types from the Thumb.