How much longer before Wal-Mart takes over?

Started by HoJofan206, April 09, 2005, 12:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

I seriously am concerned about the fact that if things continue the way they are that Wal-Mart will pretty much run everyone else in the department store segment out of business.  It seems that only Target has been able to compete with Wal-Mart.  Mostly because Target "targets" a different demographic of customers than Wal-Mart.  It is not a good thing for consumers to only have 1 or 2 choices.

HoJofan206

K-Mart is a distant 3rd in the department store niche.  Is there even a sizable #4?  If so, who was it.  I have heard that Ames was the 4th largest department store chain when they closed down a few years back.

Zayre88

I remember to have read an article about retail with a guy from the financial world saying:  "in the retail world, if you're not 1st or 2nd in your niche, go find another niche or go away"  

If you look at it, retail is looking pretty much like that today. Department store, home improvement, office supply, pet supply, books & music, warehouse clubs, bed & bath, sporting goods...

In these categories, you have no more than 2 or 3 leaders.  Every stores that were 3rd or lower ranked are gone or in trouble !  

Wal-Mart / Target
Home Depot / Lowe's
Staples / Office Max / Office Depot
Petco / Pet Quarters
Barnes & Noble / Borders
Sam's Club / Costco / Bj's
Linens'n Things / Bed Bath & Beyond
Sports Authority / Dick's sporting goods

What do you think ? Discuss

Caldor1999

i read in a acrtile that wal marts trying to go upscail there loosing costmers because of Target and Bed Bath & Beyond they tryed a prodo type store but it didsent seem to actrack more costmers so i there started and Slow and Painful Death it will take some time before we see some changes happen mean while Target is doing so well and there stores are not so BIG and cold like Wal Mart and i can see why they are doing such good bizz
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HoJofan206

I like the Wal-Mart prices, but Target is a much cleaner store to shop and and the merchandise is a bit better so I dont mint paying a little more.  

Poor K-Mart is left to pick up what Wal-Mart leaves behind.
Target stores were very smart to realize that they could not go toe to toe with Wal-Mart so they went for a bit more upscale market and it has obviously worked!  :cool:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
I like the Wal-Mart prices, but Target is a much cleaner store to shop and and the merchandise is a bit better so I dont mint paying a little more.  

Poor K-Mart is left to pick up what Wal-Mart leaves behind.
Target stores were very smart to realize that they could not go toe to toe with Wal-Mart so they went for a bit more upscale market and it has obviously worked!  :cool:

Yes and their commercials are something else!:yup:

Much interesting they use music and visuals of their products  not prices to attract customers and it works!:yup: