Who's next..... Elder-Beerman? Dillards? Rite-Aid?

Started by KmartDanny09, December 28, 2008, 10:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KmartDanny09

So I was talking with the Olan-Mills associate today at work. We somehow ventured to the subject of stores, and more specifically, which are going out of business. Apparently, her brother who works for a bank, said that FIVE major retailers next year are projected to leave the marketplace (Elder-Beerman's, Dillard's, Rite-Aid, and another one that she forgot). According to her brother, Elder-Beerman will officially announce plans to liquidate...

While I have heard (mainly through articles on AOL.com and Walletpop) that those retailers were projected to go out of business, I was just wondering if anyone else heard rumors to the same. I tend to take what she says with a grain of salt... this is same woman who claimed to live next to the founder of Wal-Mart, "Mr. Walt" when she lived in Missouri. (Which I know is untrue... it was 'Sam Walton' and he never lived in Missouri... I read his book).

Thoughts on Elder-Beerman or Dillards?

Marc82

No thoughts about E-B or Dillards, but I have to say I somehow doubt RITE AID is going anywhere. They're building a brand new store on Route 10 in Southington, CT. The sign says COMING SOON RITE AID, has a phone number to call for Employment Opportunities, another sign that says Project Financed by Liberty Bank. Further more they were still doing work on the site until the big snow storm hit on December 19th.

KmartDanny09

Sorry Marc, but I think that Rite-Aid is headed for a world of hurt.

I believe that Walgreen's is becoming the "Wal-Mart" of the pharmacy and HBC category while Rite-Aid is becoming the "Kmart."

Here in Toledo, several Rite-Aids are located either on the same street corner or within a short distance of a Walgreen's... and guess what? Walgreen's ALWAYS more cars and look busier than the Rite-Aids... Even in areas that don't have a Walgreen's nearby, the Rite-Aid's look dead.

I believe that Walgreen's has cleaner stores, friendlier staff, and cheaper prices. Walgreen's also runs better sales and has a superior photo finishing department. Having shopped Walgreen's since they came to Toledo, I am on a first-name basis with some of the employees who work there.

Am I the only who believes that Rite-Aid has higher prices? Recently, Rite-Aid purchased a regional Pharmacy chained (The Pharm). The Pharm was run by Spartan Stores (before then, it was family operated) and were mainly located in lower income neighborhoods. Many of them also had an expanded grocery selection because of a lack of nearby grocery stores. The prices were cheap, and they often ran close-out sales. When Rite-Aid came in, they remodeled the stores to their own format (discontinuing the expanded food department) and raised prices... the result? The stores are dead and people refuse to shop them, and many neighborhoods lack a place where family can get grocery-like items....

In conclusion, I don't see Rite-Aid being around much longer... they have to lower their prices and be able to compete with Walgreen's....

XDeSuEhTX

Elder-Beerman? No! I've been hearing a lot of going out of business rumors lately, and I don't want to believe them. But I'm afriad they might be true.

If Elder-Beerman goes that will be the nail in the coffin for a local but already "dead" mall in my eara. It will be sad to see that mall shut down.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

JimSawhill

Dillard's won't be going anywhere!! The mall that has the just opened JCP has a just opened Dillard's,too.

store215

Elder-Beerman will probably go. They are owned by the much larger Bon Ton Department Store chain, and just like everyone that isn't walmart, is having lots of financial problems. Rite Aid has always had financial issues, and buying Brooks/Eckerd hurt them badly. I don't see them going away completely, but I expect a lot of the older stores will be closed.