Main Menu

NJ

Started by NJxxJon, May 17, 2006, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

I think its awesome. some others ....older.....hate it....in and out....DONE :kissyou:
JN

XISMZERO

I think it's a great idea but it's one that still isn't as good as it could be. While the idea works in supermarkets (like Stop & Shop and Price Chopper), the design is still flawed in a few ways. For one, it doesn't get you out quicker than dealing with a worker and it's very easy to be dishonest resulting in even higher theft. The ones at my local Price Chopper(s) have don't operate as well as the ones at Stop & Shop as they usually make one "human" do all the work on a nearby station.

I do like them but the ones I've used make me feel retarded as the employees tend to assume you don't know what you're doing if you freeze for a second aside from the pre-recorded voice prompt which usually talks loud and slow :(
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Yeah I also like them depending on the store, and items I'm buying.  I don't have any problems with Price Choppers but if you even breath on that scale where you put your stuff after you scan it, it locks up and says "wait for cashier."

powersbt

I'm not keen on them being in a Supermarket setting period. The Point of Sale Area (AKA Checkouts) in a Supermarket area are high paced, mostly due to the large amount of items that go through the Checkout. I agree on the theft. Might as well automatically add on at least one more Loss Prevention person just to sit there and watch the Self-Checkouts.

I have used the Self-Checkouts in K-Mart and in BJ's. BJ's aren't too bad, but quite a lot of issues require a Shiftleader to come over and override the system. I find that the system tends to be more lenient with coupons than if a Human was checking out items.

The ones at K Mart, I'm not even sure if they use them anymore. I don't see any advantage of having them there at least in the store near me because they usually only at most 2 Human Registers going, which leaves another person to watch the Self-Checkouts. It just doesn't seem to be worthwhile there.

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Yeah I also like them depending on the store, and items I'm buying.  I don't have any problems with Price Choppers but if you even breath on that scale where you put your stuff after you scan it, it locks up and says "wait for cashier."

XISMZERO

As cruel as it sounds, the most I can avoid employees in stores I do. There's another intended pro on self-checkouts but always end up with someone having to deal with me.That's just me though even if it's their job to "serve" you I just don't like being bothered by associates in stores.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

bouth the target and a&p inm y ton hvae it but theres ulay some worker there standing there watching u while u do it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

well check outs are not user friendly, but it is easier if you have a clerk that has not been there a while. my wal-mart supercenter in plymouth nh doesnt have one, but the wal-mart in concord has one.

Ames#1171

I love them and use the everytime I am in a store that has them.  Here in Cleveland, Wal*Mart, Tops, and Giant Eagle have them, and Super K Mart had them for about a year and then took them out.
Ames" border="0

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
well check outs are not user friendly, but it is easier if you have a clerk that has not been there a while. my wal-mart supercenter in plymouth nh doesnt have one, but the wal-mart in concord has one.
Yup, the Wal-Mart near me in Oxford, MA doesn't have them, but if I go a little further south into Putnam, CT they have them there.

I also agree on theft, at Price Chopper they said that is the point of having the weight scale with your groceries on it.  Although I don't see whats stopping anyone from just not scanning some items at all and walking out with them. It seems department stores would be much more susceptible to theft than grocers are.  I mean, I think actual hardline merchandise etc... would be much more appealing to crooks and more of a loss to a company compared to a can of beans or a pack of soda at the supermarket.

The Shaw's near me recently got self checkouts that seem to have no security measures or cameras on them at all, with no clerk station either.  They also completely revamped their POS systems and every checkout aisle has a LCD TV with stocks and the cooking channel on.  Presumably so you have something to watch while you wait in line, it gave me a good laugh.

powersbt

You mean to tell me that the People prefer to watch Stocks and the Cooking Channel Over something Montel or Maury??

I can see Theft as the biggest issue with having them in a Supermarket. I have seen that many of you actually prefer to like them, and I have no problem with that, but many of your older customers are not going to want to use a computer if they don't have to. They would rather have a Human take care of their order, plus they have someone to Vent to if they have a store complaint!!

I see it as being the wave of the Future, but I do see many issues that have to be resolved before it becomes practical.

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Yup, the Wal-Mart near me in Oxford, MA doesn't have them, but if I go a little further south into Putnam, CT they have them there.

I also agree on theft, at Price Chopper they said that is the point of having the weight scale with your groceries on it.  Although I don't see whats stopping anyone from just not scanning some items at all and walking out with them.

The Shaw's near me recently got self checkouts that seem to have no security measures or cameras on them at all, with no clerk station either.  They also completely revamped their POS systems and every checkout aisle has a LCD TV with stocks and the cooking channel on.  Presumeably so you have something to watch while you wait in line, it gave me a good laugh.

beachgal26

I love the option of being able to pick up my stuff, scan and pay for it all in a hurry if that's what I want.  (If there is heavy stuff or something with a security scan code, it seems to work much better if you actually have a checker handle it.)

I do agree with the idea of theft being higher because at the Kroger where I always shop, there is only 1 person to man at least 12 u-scans and it seems as though it would be easier for anyone to just leave stuff in their cart and drop it in after they have paid.  It's always so busy, who would be there to stop them?

The K-Mart that recently closed had them in the beginning and then never had them operational and the ones at Wal-Mart are just awful as they don't recognize the UPC codes and always hang up and (of course) there is 1 poor employee trying to handle 4 lanes of people at once!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NJxxJon

well um....the coupons can be scanned MORE THAN ONCE....hahaha...:o
JN

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon
well um....the coupons can be scanned MORE THAN ONCE....
hahaha...:o

Unless you have to drop each one in a slot after scanning - which some of the stores do require (Stop & Shop for one).

Also - all the Kmarts self checkouts were removed - they were too expensive (as they leased them or something) - of course they are one place that could use them (as there aren't many registers open usually).

beachgal26

Kroger has gotten around the possibility of using coupons more than once or scanning them multiple times.  You have to give them to the clerk and they scan them onto your order.

;) ;) ;)

NJxxJon

Any news of self checkout form you guys???? Nothing local has opened....
JN