Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieJ1984

So overall I would say its an ok look.
I do like the signs for delicatessen and the other areas.
And I like that the aisle signs are 3 sided so you can see them at any angle.
But them being in white and black is a bit drab. The uniforms the employees wear seems to be changed as well, white top with black pants, some with black vests *before it was navy tops with khakis)
overall tho I liked the last look a but better it had an organic feel to it imo, which this new look doesn't have. But overall I wouldn't say its horrible, also I didn't get why there was the big frickin stuffe flowers, but now that you pointed out that its in the albertsons logo, makes sense I guess, even tho I think acme had a good enough identity they shouldn't have to use someone else's.

acme style

Acme is rolling out a much more deluxe version of this remodel in other stores. The department signage is backlit and the walls are all painted a warm white color. These stores are also getting huge Albertson's leaves on the walls. This look was started by Albertson's and was brought to Acme as well just like the blue/brown "Marketplace" look of the early 2000's.
Check it out... Acme Style!

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
Here is a pic of a former Acme Super Saver location at Red Lion road and Us Route 1, in Philadelphia.  By the time pic was taken in 1995, it was already a Acme markets location.  Today, 1/2 of the building was demolished and replaced by Staples.

Why only half of the building?

It was actually by 1995, I think, that Acme's current logo was introduced.
The reason why 1/2 of the Acme on Red Lion and US Route 1 was demolished was because Staples took the left half and the PNC Bank that was next to it so they can build their store.

In the same shopping center, the middle 1/3 of the former Two guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees is still standing, with the left 1/3 demolished by Best Buy, and the right 1/3 by American Singature Furinture.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

nims57

Here is a pic of a former Acme Super Saver location at Red Lion road and Us Route 1, in Philadelphia.  By the time pic was taken in 1995, it was already a Acme markets location.  Today, 1/2 of the building was demolished and replaced by Staples.

The reason why 1/2 of the Acme on Red Lion and US Route 1 was demolished was because Staples took the left half and the PNC Bank that was next to it so they can build their store.

In the same shopping center, the middle 1/3 of the former Two guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees is still standing, with the left 1/3 demolished by Best Buy, and the right 1/3 by American Singature Furinture.

That became Bradlees in 1986 and closed way back in 1988. It might have become Best Buy then. American Signature could have been a Sears HomeLife furniture store.

MikeRa

That became Bradlees in 1986 and closed way back in 1988. It might have become Best Buy then. American Signature could have been a Sears HomeLife furniture store.
After Bradlees, the site was split into two stores.  The left half became "Ross Dress For Less", the right half became "The Sports Authority."

The bulk of the "Ross Dress For Less" end, as well as a bit of the smaller store of the shopping center (that was inbetween the Two Guys and the Acme Super Saver), was demolished and repalced by "Best Buy".

nims57

I heard that in 1946, Acme proposed to buy Grand Union.

shore72

Finally managed to take a photo of this store not too far from me. This is in downtown St. Michaels, MD. For those not familiar, the town is an old fishing village which has tranformed itself into a hoity-toity tourist destination. They have very strict zoning laws which probably explains the signage. I would guess that this is the smallest Acme left in this area.

GothicPrincess

What a cute little store!
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by GothicPrincess
What a cute little store!  

With "Beer and wine sold here?" You are lucky... that is mostly illegal in PA, NJ, and DE!

videogamer75

Very nice, small town Acme. Was it originally like that, or remodeled to look retro?

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Very nice, small town Acme. Was it originally like that, or remodeled to look retro?  

Not sure, but it kind of looks like the abandoned Thrift Drug/Eckerd in Berwyn, PA. There was another small Acme nearby though.

shore72

It's looked like that as long as I can recall-back to the 80s, anyway.

Marc82

I tried to visit the ACME in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania when I visited back in July 07, but I was in the wrong lane and traffic on 202 was bumper to bumper and no one would let me in to change into the left lane to turn into the plaza.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Markughter23
hiiii

"hiiii" to you too!

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
I tried to visit the ACME in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania when I visited back in July 07, but I was in the wrong lane and traffic on 202 was bumper to bumper and no one would let me in to change into the left lane to turn into the plaza.

Don't bother. That Acme is not a classic one and just got a very boring remodel. Next time you go to KOP or Audubon, go to the Big Lots on 202 in Norristown (former 70's Acme): http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/2862195962/in/set-72157607316516768/

This one might be on the way from CT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3417000676/in/set-72157607316516768/

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by acme style
You can never post too many pictures of Acme! Thanks for sharing these. Being in the store, would you say the new remodeled look is better than the old look? It seems kinda drab to me. The new aisle signs are particularly ugly. The old look, which remains in many Acmes, was getting a little dated with it's overly graphic signage, but I don't think switching it out for dark minimal decor is the right thing to do. I'll never understand why Acme has adopted the Albertson's leaf.

I think that at least the Albertsons-related stores that are now owned by Supervalu are all doing this decor package...I saw photos a while back in a Shaw's company pamphlet with pictures of the freshly remodeled Augusta, ME store...I was surprised when I visited my first (and thus far, only) Acme while in Jersey back in September that they had virtually the exact same decor package as the Augusta Shaw's, save for the Albertsons leaf being replaced by the classic Shaw's leaf.

It's very tasteful and professional-looking but extremely dull, IMO, same as the tan polo shirts which were rolled out in Shaw's and probably will be in Acme stores as well if they haven't been already. Boring, boring, boring.

videogamer75

Don't bother. That Acme is not a classic one and just got a very boring remodel. Next time you go to KOP or Audubon, go to the Big Lots on 202 in Norristown (former 70's Acme): http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/2862195962/in/set-72157607316516768/

This one might be on the way from CT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3417000676/in/set-72157607316516768/

Uh, I'm pretty sure he wants to visit an Acme that's still operating.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

Uh, I'm pretty sure he wants to visit an Acme that's still operating.  

The closest Acme "gems" to KOP:

Germantown: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3493236142/in/set-72157607316516768/

Germantown 2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3493236330/in/set-72157607316516768/

Bryn Mawr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3939264477/in/set-72157607316516768/

Penn Valley: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3940041318/in/set-72157607316516768/

videogamer75

Those are some good ones to visit. Here's an interesting fact about the Penn Valley one, it makes a cameo appearance during a scene in ''The Sixth Sense''. I think it was the Penn Valley one, at least. I know there was a small looking Acme in it and it had a corner entrance like that.

store215

#1: Why isn't this thread Titled Acme? Took me forever to find it on here.

Came across these old, old Acme SuperSaver bags in my grandmother's hose that is being cleaned out. Almost in perfect condition too!

Click pic for full view

Marc82

Quote from: MBZ321 on February 28, 2010, 05:26:45 PM

Just one of the technical snafus of moving the boards to the new server. I'm sure if you contact one of the admins or mods they'll change it. Chris or Jon.

TRJ22487

Yeah, nothing is perfect

videogamer75

If this is true, then it would probably be of great help to Acme, given Kroger's size and place in the industry.

beachgal26

This is one of the few buy-outs that I think will benefit people.  Since Kroger is the largest grocery chain in the world, it will enable more people to shop with them that have never heard of Kroger before.

;) ;)

gu4ever

That would actually be a good thing for Acme. I've only seen photo's of Kroger, but they appear to be a really nice store inside and out. Maybe they can bring some of the beauty back to the Acme chain that Albertson's took away during their ownership.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

videogamer75

I hope they keep the Acme name as it is synonymous with the Philadelphia area.

acme style

Quote from: Marc B on February 28, 2010, 07:15:18 PM
Quote from: MBZ321 on February 28, 2010, 05:26:45 PM

Just one of the technical snafus of moving the boards to the new server. I'm sure if you contact one of the admins or mods they'll change it. Chris or Jon.

I started that thread a long time ago. Couldn't figure out why it was the subject of every post for Acme! Definitely a technical snafu but not as bad as the one that has made everyone's pictures disappear. This used to be a great site. Now it's a complete mess and not worth visiting anymore. Wish they had just left well enough alone.
Check it out... Acme Style!

MikeRa

Here's a YouTube video of the Haddonfield, NJ Acme Markets, which still has the old 1950's logo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Asgtx4tSiM