Main Menu

Old Color Scheme

Started by NorthEastAmesFan, January 11, 2007, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthEastAmesFan

I'm new to the site, so sorry if this has been covered...

I distinctly remember all Ames stores having a Red and White color scheme years ago.  As I remember it, they used the same logo, just with a white background and red lettering.  Am I correct, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthEastAmesFan
I'm new to the site, so sorry if this has been covered...

I distinctly remember all Ames stores having a Red and White color scheme years ago.  As I remember it, they used the same logo, just with a white background and red lettering.  Am I correct, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

I remember Ames stores having that color scheme. the one in my town in plymouth nh had that scheme until 1998. The one in wells maine did until like 2000 or 1999. The one jay maine did and so did tilton nh etc etc.

Joe0237

The Ames in Orono, ME had it up until they closed.  I believe Newport, Dover-Foxcroft, Belfast, Millinocket also had the scheme until their closures.

ronn0326

Norwich NY also had the red color scheme until it closed... always looked funny to me after they changed to green carts and from red smocks/vests to green.  red and green all over the store... kinda like christmas!

dhuf12

The red color scheme was from when they took over Murphy's Mart. Stores that were opened in the 90's had the green, even when they remodeled the old ones you could always find red somewhere

Ames303

Ames went through several color schemes. I remember the "rainbow" color scheme in the 70s - Pulaski, N.Y. store #80 opened up with this color scheme in 1978. When they took over the Big N stores and started remodeling other stores in the process, they went on to a "red on white" color scheme with the "A" logo on much of the signage. I remember the department signs that hung from the ceiling were white on red with the "A" line logo along the bottom. The "Mens" sign was goofed up in ALL the stores that color scheme appeared in; the "s" was lower than "Men".

After that they switched over to a "white on red" color scheme which worked fairly well with the older red on white color scheme. Many original Ames stores closed with this color scheme at the end of the run, though they had green carts and smocks.

The acquisition of the Zayre stores introduced the green scheme. It was odd - the LEDs on the registers (IBM 3683) in the "red" stores were also red, the LEDs on the registers (IBM 4683) in the "green" stores were green but that was due to advances in technology; it wasn't on purpose.