They are getting ready to tear down HQ! Not a drill!

Started by YDK, July 24, 2022, 03:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YDK

Here's the article https://www.chainstoreage.com/amess-old-headquarters-site-will-become-mixed-use-property

I'm currently planning a trip to document and capture everything. I'll bring plenty of DV tapes for footage. If anyone wants an artifact or a copy of footage, let me know.

TheFugitive

I was there once for some meetings in 1988.  Can't say I remember a whole lot about the building.  My main memory of that trip was the horrific traffic jam I encountered trying to get to Bradley Airport.  It's been empty for a couple of decades and I am sure the building has deteriorated over time.  There is a need for more housing in that area so I'd have to say it is time. 

Brammy

According to Wilkipedia they announced the closing of the chain on August 14th, 2002 - nearly 20 years ago and the stores closed for good on October 19th. I wonder if the HQ will survive til October.
The Real Brammy

BillyGr

Quote from: Brammy on July 25, 2022, 01:47:09 PMAccording to Wilkipedia they announced the closing of the chain on August 14th, 2002 - nearly 20 years ago and the stores closed for good on October 19th. I wonder if the HQ will survive til October.

Good question, though that would have been an interesting way to do it - some type of ceremonial demolition for the anniversary :)

YDK

Quote from: Brammy on July 25, 2022, 01:47:09 PMAccording to Wilkipedia they announced the closing of the chain on August 14th, 2002 - nearly 20 years ago and the stores closed for good on October 19th. I wonder if the HQ will survive til October.

I really hope so, but I'm taking a trip tomorrow just in case.

TheFugitive

If it were me I would not wait until October to begin a large construction project.  Not with New England winter approaching.

108CAM

AFAIK, the old Ames HQ is still standing as of Feb 1, 2023
It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.