Newington Commons (Stop and Shop Plaza)

Started by TRU7536, June 10, 2013, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

Well, since we are playing this game, i decided to focus on the Berlin Turnpike.

Newington Commons is a 189,724 SF plaza located next to the Berlin Turnpike and was built on the site of Stamm contruction. First proposed in 1995, it was built between 1996/1997 and its currently runned by Yale Realty Services. Below are the current and former business's in the plaza.

Stop and Shop 65,243 (former Shaws Supermarket)
Michaels 18,301 (been there since plaza opened)
Party City 11,684 (been there since plaza opened)
Petco 15,733 (been there since plaza opened)
vacant (Dark) 23,520 (former Office Max and Office Depot)
Bob’s Stores 48,884 (former Media Play)
Joey Garlic’s Pizzeria 6,359 (former Unos and Green Tea Bistro)

ynkeesfn82

I still think it's hilarious that both Office Max and Office Depot failed in the same location.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on June 10, 2013, 09:22:50 PM
I still think it's hilarious that both Office Max and Office Depot failed in the same location.

Office Depot itself failed twice on the Berlin Turnpike. It first opened in the building where Best Buy is now. That closed and a few years later this one opened and within a year or two it was gone. I always thought of many uses for this space. It could become HomeGoods. Bob's is a sister store to HG and the closest one is in Wethersfield. OR it could be a Five Below, which is expanding recently. Also, if Michael's were interested in expanding a little, they can move there.

For a long time, this plaza was a one stop-shop. It still is, but I believe Stop and Shop moving in was such a waste. We have 5 S&S stores in a short distance from this location. Shaw's was great here when they opened. The last few years, the store was just "Bleh", but still OK. Not only that, the building and the interior look exactly like Shaw's and mind you, this is the same design they opened with in 1996. It looks tired right about now. S&S is obviously not going to fully remodel it. 

The outparcel in the middle FINALLY found its success story with Joey Garlics. Never in it's history was this place ever so busy daily as it is today.

As far as history goes, Media Play, Office Max, Michael's, Shaw's and Uno Pizza were the first to open in June/July 1996. Shaw's opened in July. Petco and Party City moved in a few months later, towards the Fall of 1996. Media Play and Office Max closed around 2004 I believe. Bob's came in shortly after in October, 2004. Office Depot came in about 2007 and left by 2009. Shaw's became S&S in April, 2010. Joey Garlics opened in that time frame.

I believe the plaza is due for an upgrade in the near future. I don't see S&S staying for years to come. That can be divided in to a few spaces for something other than a supermarket. Party City just re-did their exterior with a new sign and a change from pull-open doors to automatic doors. They are staying for sure. Petco renovated last year, but their exterior needs a paint job badly and they can use a new sign too. Michael's too. They are the longest running tenant in the plaza and they STILL have the original sign. They just replaced the "M" recently, but they should put the new black-cursive logo on the front. They also need to paint the front. 

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 11, 2013, 08:28:48 AM
It could become HomeGoods. Bob's is a sister store to HG and the closest one is in Wethersfield.

Home Goods and Bob's are no longer related. TJX sold Bob's a few years back.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on June 11, 2013, 02:27:16 PM
It could become HomeGoods. Bob's is a sister store to HG and the closest one is in Wethersfield.

I am surprised how Bobs is still open. I opened the newington store back in 04 and the company doesn't do well. Hence how TJX sold it.

ynkeesfn82

I like Bob's. I got a great deal on my new Yankees hat at the Waterbury store last Thursday. It was $24.99 regular price. Then it was on sale. Plus I had a 20% Coupon, bringing the final price to $14.99. Even radder than paying $14.99 is the fact it fits over my big head much better than the one I bought 5 years ago at Lids for $34.99

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on June 11, 2013, 02:27:16 PM

I wasn't aware of that, but HomeGoods would still be nice in that spot.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 11, 2013, 05:39:14 PM
I wasn't aware of that, but HomeGoods would still be nice in that spot.

Yes because even though the spot is smaller than your average stand-alone Home Goods, it's about the same size as the one that just opened in the former Borders in Simsbury. Wish we had room for one in Southington too.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on June 11, 2013, 05:36:53 PM
I like Bob's. I got a great deal on my new Yankees hat at the Waterbury store last Thursday. It was $24.99 regular price. Then it was on sale. Plus I had a 20% Coupon, bringing the final price to $14.99. Even radder than paying $14.99 is the fact it fits over my big head much better than the one I bought 5 years ago at Lids for $34.99

They do sell nice stuffs i will say, but they always have financial issues. I remember when i started working there they were just bought out by TJX and were talking about expanding all over the country after closing a few stores in NY and NJ. They been sold a quite a few times in the last 15 years. They were almost sold to Dicks sporting goods for their retail locations.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on June 10, 2013, 09:22:50 PM

I believe the plaza is due for an upgrade in the near future. I don't see S&S staying for years to come. That can be divided in to a few spaces for something other than a supermarket. Party City just re-did their exterior with a new sign and a change from pull-open doors to automatic doors. They are staying for sure. Petco renovated last year, but their exterior needs a paint job badly and they can use a new sign too. Michael's too. They are the longest running tenant in the plaza and they STILL have the original sign. They just replaced the "M" recently, but they should put the new black-cursive logo on the front. They also need to paint the front. 

I believe the plaza is in great shape, except they need to repave the lots. My only concern is that vacant space which could/is hard to lease. The space is either two small or to big for anything. I would love for DSW to move in, but with Bob's next door, be hard.

TRU7536

So i think i know what be perfect for the former office store location. Ultra beauty is in Manchester, Milford, N.Haven, and Avon. I think it would be the perfect size.

ynkeesfn82

Not sure how big they are. They're opening soon in the Westfield Meriden Square next to Radio Shack.

TRU7536

Looks like Planet Fitness will be relocating to the former Office Depot in 2014 according to the town.

Ames Newington

Since Michael's will be moving to the Brickyard Plaza in Berlin this Fall, I've been thinking of what could go in their old space. I was thinking either Five Below or Ulta Beauty, which are both currently expanding. I would lean more towards Five Below.

TRU7536

Quote from: Ames Newington on July 04, 2014, 09:22:42 AM
Since Michael's will be moving to the Brickyard Plaza in Berlin this Fall, I've been thinking of what could go in their old space. I was thinking either Five Below or Ulta Beauty, which are both currently expanding. I would lean more towards Five Below.

The Berlin Turnpike doesn't really have a lot left to lease out. The only decent size places left to lease is the soon to be Michaels and the old Planet Fitness. Who knows when Michaels will be relocating. Those two stores would be perfect, but depends how how big these two companies square footage requirements are.

TRU7536

Former Office Max/Depot in Newington, now Planet Fitness

TRU7536

I did some research, both of these two are about 7,500 feet. Why not split the store in half since Michaels is about a little over 18,000 square feet.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on December 15, 2014, 08:26:00 PM

I did some research, both of these two are about 7,500 feet. Why not split the store in half since Michaels is about a little over 18,000 square feet.

I'd love a few more shopping options on the turnpike. It's also nice to see some retail shifting to the Berlin side. There is a space next to the newly built Michael's in the Brickyard Plaza (they are only taking 1/2 of the old Sym's) that is a decent size for either Ulta or Five Below. Also, there are a few spaces available in the out parcel (the old JoAnn Fabric building from years ago) where a Supercuts and UPS Store recently opened.