Mall of America

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), January 15, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Mall of America

Located in Bloomington, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis and St. Paul, it is the largest shopping mall in the United States.

Opening date: 1992

Anchors:
Macy's
Bloomingdale's
Nordstrom
Sears
-
Nickelodeon Universe theme park
Underwater Adventures Aquarium

Discuss!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
Mall of America

Located in Bloomington, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis and St. Paul, it is the largest shopping mall in the United States.

Anchors:
Macy's
Bloomingdale's
Nordstrom
Sears
-

Discuss!

I went here last June

I am from Plymouth NH and I drove there alone and it was a 23 hour drive. I drove all night to do it and only got out of the car once every 350 miles, only to get gas (I got food at a Mcd's Drive thru near it and used the bathroom at the gas station)

I've been there in July 2003, at that time the theme park was called Camp Snoopy, and there was a SpongeBob SquarePants exhibit at the Underwater Adventures Aquarium.

The mall has changed since then, the theme park became Nickelodeon Universe on March 15, 2008. An expansion is proposed for this mall which will double its size.

Marc82

An expansion is proposed for this mall which will double its size.

I've been hearing this for quite a number of years. When is this gonna happen?

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Mall of America

Anchors:
Macy's
Bloomingdale's
Nordstrom
Sears
-

Discuss!

I went here last June

I am from Plymouth NH and I drove there alone and it was a 23 hour drive. I drove all night to do it and only got out of the car once every 350 miles, only to get gas (I got food at a Mcd's Drive thru near it and used the bathroom at the gas station)

So d_fife was it worth the drive out to see? I've been thinking that would be a destination along with a few Shopko stops this summer.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Mall of America

Anchors:
Macy's
Bloomingdale's
Nordstrom
Sears
-

Discuss!

I went here last June

So d_fife was it worth the drive out to see? I've been thinking that would be a destination along with a few Shopko stops this summer.

Although, I've been out there only once, it is totally worth it with all the upscale stores and the theme park.

Ground was broken on "Phase II" last march. The mall is currently in the middle of an expansion.

Current anchor tenants:
*Macy's
*Nordstrom
*Sears

Current junior anchor tenants:
*DSW
*Forever 21
*Marshalls
*Nordstrom Rack
*Best Buy
*Barnes & Noble
*L.L. Bean

Other attractions:
*Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park
*Sea Life Aquarium
*The Theaters at Mall of America

---

You can learn more about the Mall of America here:
http://shoppingmallmuseum.blogspot.com/search/label/Minnesota%27s%20Mall%20of%20America

TheFugitive

Why would they double its size?  There are barely enough chains hanging on to fill
available mall space as it is.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 01, 2014, 07:49:54 AM
Why would they double its size?  There are barely enough chains hanging on to fill

From the link above to shoppingmallmuseum:

A northern addition will nearly double the size of the center and include three office buildings, a hotel, an indoor water park, ice-hockey rink, two anchor stores and multilevel parking deck.

So it looks like a large part of the addition will be non-retail (offices, hotel, water park, ice hockey), and it shows one of the two "anchors" as Bass Pro so only 1 large spot to fill.
Plan also shows an IKEA as a freestanding building next door.

ynkeesfn82

Are there still plans to build apartments or condos there? I could've sworn I read somewhere that a future expansion of the mall was going to including housing.

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 01, 2014, 07:49:54 AM
Unless you count destination retail or local shops. They probably will add some more specialty shops selling everything from womens' clothing to gift shops that sell "Minnesota" souvenirs and "Vikings" sports memorabilia. Sometimes they'll fill the in-line space with a second or third location of stores like Hot Topic, Christopher & Banks or Claire's, which also can be found elsewhere in the mall. That's my theory of what they'll do with the in-line store spaces surrounding the ice rink and Bass Pro Shop, as well as the new anchor store. Yes, there might not be enough retailers left, but that doesn't prevent these megamalls from doubling up the number of store locations of the same store.