Main Menu

Old Ames sign

Started by mikey7290, December 14, 2007, 09:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey7290

Hi guys.  Talking about getting old Ames signs on this site reminds me of a few years ago at our old Ames store.  When the store first opened at the Park Plaza in Ogdensburg NY in 1971, it had the old block-style sign with each letter separate.  This was until they switched to the more-familiar logo we all remember.  Anyway, not long after they took our old block sign down, my friend told me that he found the letters spelling out A-M-E-S from that sign at our landfill!  Of course, I don't know if he was serious or not because although the logo was no longer used, I don't think the store would just throw the sign away.

mikey7290

In case anyone isn't sure of what I'm talking about, here is a pic of the old Ogdensburg store on Park Street, taken from its Grand Opening way back in October 1971.  Here you can see the old block-lettered sign on the roof.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey7290
In case anyone isn't sure of what I'm talking about, here is a pic of the old Ogdensburg store on Park Street, taken from its Grand Opening way back in October 1971.  Here you can see the old block-lettered sign on the roof.

wonder if any of the last ames around had that logo! neat!

C. Fontaine

Holy Schiznat!  Is there an article that accompanies that picture?

Here is an oldie I found on Flickr a while ago, the store in Sanford, ME!

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Holy Schiznat!  Is there an article that accompanies that picture?

Here is an oldie I found on Flickr a while ago, the store in Sanford, ME!

There is an article that went with this picture.  I will see if I can find it.  This was part of the Grand Opening ad.   Here is the ad in its entirety.  BTW...the Gouverneur Ames did have this same sign on the front of its store from its 1976 opening until the logo was changed in the early 1980's (I believe 1984 or 1985) to its last logo.

Zayre88

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Old Ames signs

Cool pic!  BTW...would anyone happen to have a pic of the old Ogdensburg (NY) Ames store (not the one I posted here, but the older one -- the white building on Ford Street) when it was still an Ames?  If so, would you please post it here?  I have always wanted to see what it looked like!  Thanks!

Ames303

Interesting, the Pulaski, NY store was built in 1977 and it had a red version of the last logo on it. I wonder if it was one of the first with the modern logo? However, the register tapes (from the Sweda mechanical registers) had the blocks stamped on them for the logo.  I know that the registers were swapped between stores depending on who had the most that worked, so the registers most likely pre-dated the store.