Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

A frontal view of the 1960's stye HoJo eatery.  Nashville West

HoJofan206

Another side shot of the same building.  They have added an "outdoors" area...not HoJo original...lol

HoJofan206

Here is a back view looking down from the steps the lead from the still excisting Howard Johnson's Inn

HoJofan206

Here is a view of the steps leading up to the motor lodge.  THey are HoJo original rails but parts of them are missing from years of neglect.  :no:

HoJofan206

Atop the steps, the motor lodge patron had a great view of the restaurant located below.

HoJofan206

This Howard Johnson's motor lodge has been here for a really long time.  Probably since the 1960's.  I remember staying here with my family on our way to Memphis back in 1985.

HoJofan206

Taken from inside the building directly behind the Gate Lodge.

HoJofan206

Even after all of these years, the orange roof still shines bright over Nashville TN.

HoJofan206

Here is a shot of the stucco'd over guest wings.

HoJofan206

A shot of the pool area with the bright orange roof in the background.

HoJofan206

Does anyone know if these table and chairs are original Howard Johnson's outdoor furniture? :huh:

HoJofan206

More outdoor furniture that might be original? :huh:

HoJofan206

Here is an indoor pic of the extremely tall Howard Johnson's guest room doors.  Does anyone know why they made them so tall?  :huh:

HoJofan206

Here is a shot of an advertisement for the HoJo reservation hotline.  It looks to be pretty old.

HoJofan206

Another great shot of the Gate Lodge.  So few of these remain today let alone ones that are actually still serving as HoJo offices.

HoJofan206

A few more final pics of Nashville West

HoJofan206

oops, that last pic was a duplicate...sorry!  :bum:

amesman

the patio furniture is all original. And the sticker inside the guest room is from Cendant. It's probably from 97..

HoJofan206

The viewing coming up the entrance.

HoJofan206

HoJofan206

These two pics were taken from the newest HoJo location in Nashville TN off of Trinity Lane.  The ONLY thing I could find of this rebadged location that was HoJo original was the T-style lights near the swimming pool.

HoJofan206

Notice in the previous pic the closeness of the former HoJo Lodge to the interstate.  The HoJo company sure knew how to pic out visible locations.  Here is one last shot of the lights at Nashville West.

HoJofan206

I know someone is probably going to complain that I posted these HoJo Inn pics under the restaurant thread.  I did it becuase the hotel(s) were attached/located with the restaurants so I wanted to document them together.  I hope you all understand.....

d_fife

there was a howard johnson's in concord. that closed 15 yeras ago and is now a newer motel.  they had one in nashua off exit 5. That is gone, demolished and now a car dealership.

I MISS HOWARD JOHNSON's. DO ANY MORE EXIST!!!!!!!!1

storehistoryguy

HoJofan206, nice Howard Johnson's :yup: It reminds me of an apartment building.

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
I know someone is probably going to complain that I posted these HoJo Inn pics under the restaurant thread.  I did it becuase the hotel(s) were attached/located with the restaurants so I wanted to document them together.  I hope you all understand.....

Don't worry man. It's no big deal. I should've actually put this under the "Closed Chains" thread when I made this, but it's ok. Hojo Inn pics are welcome, seeing as how they were built along with the restaurants.

HoJofan206

Thanks Amesman!  Glad you understand...will keep an open eye whenever I am traveling for pics to share with the group.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Thanks Amesman!  Glad you understand...will keep an open eye whenever I am traveling for pics to share with the group.

how much did the rooms in howard johnson cost? what did them in? were their food good? I heard they had bratwursts.

HoJofan206

What "did" Howard Johnson's in was the fact that the company (that had been family owned) was sold to a British Conglomerate called the Imperial Group for like 600 million in or around 1980.  Howard Johnson, the son, had taken over the company and had cut cost and continued to close down restaurants to the point that they would rather just collect one final lump some of money for the "then dying" family style restaurant.  HoJo Inn's were doing good but were facing more and more competition as more "chain" hotels opened.  The Imperial Group sold the restaurant and hotel chains to Mariott (hotels) in 1985.  Mariott's sole interest in the Howard Johnson's restaurants was to transform them into their own company restaurant brands.  Cendant Corp took over the Howard Johnson Inn name and current still operate appx 500 HoJo Inn's across the country/abroad.  FAI purchased the rights to the fledging Howard Johnson's restaurants in 1991 from Cendant.  The hopes were for the remaining franchisee's to "kick start" anew with the brand name, but that never really happend.  Over the years the underperforming restaurants closed up or become other type of restaurants, while the pofitable ones mostly shut down when the original proprietors decided to retire.  So now, in 2006 there are only 5 orignal Howard Johnson restaurants that still excist, and one location in Key Largo Floriday (in an original Mansard Style building) that serves non traditional breakfast items.  I think that covered everything!!  ;)

BillyGr

Here are a couple shots of the Lake Placid location taken 1/15/06.