Albertson's

Started by ameskmart1, January 23, 2006, 08:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ameskmart1

Albertson's is the nations 2nd largest grocery store which owns Osco, Sav-On, Jewel, Super Saver Foods, Acme, and Shaw's and they were just bought by SuperValu.
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
Albertson's is the nations 2nd largest grocery store which owns Osco, Sav-On, Jewel, Super Saver Foods, Acme, and Shaw's and they were just bought by SuperValu.

are albertson's stores big? Are they located around chicago?

ameskmart1

Albertson's stores are the same size as most grocery store and only has Jewel stores and Osco stores around Chicago.
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

Anonymous

My family used to live in Houston, TX, where Albertson's opened pretty many stores that were very fancy from about 1999-2001. Now all their stores in that area have closed. They had stores in pretty many surrounding neighborhoods, including The Woodlands, Cypress, and Spring, just to name a few. At some point they closed all their Houston area stores, both the newer, fancier ones, as well as the older, plainer ones. I found out that at some point since my family moved away.

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

Ameskid

Jason Keller was the #57 Albertsons race car driver in Nascar. Just my usual 2 cents.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

JimSawhill

Albertsons are big here in Florida on the West Coast. I think their stores.

ameskmart1

Fremont, CA (Store Closing)

ameskmart1

Hayward, CA (Store Closing)

ameskmart1

Suisun City, CA (Store Closing)

ameskmart1

df559

The above store looks like a seriously mutilated Marina Safeway...

Kmart4life

Albertsons To Keep Center Open
ADVERTISEMENT
By GEORGE WILKENS

The Tampa Tribune

Published: June 18, 2008

PLANT CITY - The huge distribution center that Albertsons has operated here for 15 years will continue serving the grocery chain's remaining Florida stores following the August layoff of 121 workers, a company spokesman said.

The Idaho-based grocery chain announced June 9 it is selling more than half its 93 Florida stores to Publix Super Markets and that the Plant City crew of warehouse workers and truck drivers would be greatly reduced.

The 1.1-million-square-foot warehouse near Plant City Stadium employs more than 400 workers, said Shane McEntarffer, spokesman for the grocery's Florida division office in Lake Mary.

"They'll have jobs for 60 days, and then severance-eligible employees will receive severance," he said. Severance terms were not disclosed.

Additionally, to help the displaced workers find employment, Albertsons is working with Workforce Florida, a state labor commission, as well as with prospective local employers, he said.

The 121 workers affected by the mass layoff cover all levels, from salaried administrators to forklift operators, truck drivers and other operations staff, McEntarffer said. Many of the employees live in the Plant City-Lakeland area, McEntarffer said.

Simple math necessitates the layoffs, he said. With Albertsons selling off 50 percent of its Florida stores, the reduction equates to fewer workers needed to maintain operations at the grocer's warehouse off Park Road, McEntarffer said.

"We're going to be operating the remaining 44 stores in Florida and will continue district operations in Plant City, as well in the Lake Mary division office," he said.

Mayor Rick Lott, who received a June 9 fax informing him of the planned layoffs and announced the cutbacks at that night's city commission meeting, said the city is doing what it can to spread the word about the availability of the laid-off workers.

That includes tapping the resources of the Tampa Bay Workforce Alliance, which operates a Plant City office and works with businesses throughout the Tampa Bay area to help applicants find local jobs, Lott said.

The good news is that Albertsons will continue to operate the Plant City distribution center, he said. Plant City is "faring better than other areas" during the economic downturn, the mayor said, saying one reason may be that much of the local light industry is food-based.

Albertsons took over the shopping-mall-sized warehouse on the city's east side in February 1993 after it sat vacant for more than two years. Albertsons paid $17.5 million for the property and spent an additional $9.9 million on expansion and renovation.

The warehouse became the third-largest of the company's 10 major U.S. distribution centers.

Ames Department Stores previously owned and operated the sprawling warehouse, opened in mid-1988 by the discount retail chain Zayre.

The warehouse was acquired by Ames when the Connecticut-based retailer bought all 80 Zayre discount retail stores in Florida in October 1988.

In April 1990, Ames filed for protection from creditors under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code and, four months later, closed its Plant City warehouse and all its Florida stores.

Through foreclosure, the vacant warehouse was eventually acquired by a financial group headed by Principal Mutual Life, Des Moines, Iowa.

The Albertsons cutback marks Plant City's third large layoff in two months.

James Hardie Building Products laid off 49 full-time and 30 part-time workers in late April, citing the downturn in the construction industry. The layoff left the plant on Woodrow Wilson Street with a workforce of about 180.

A few weeks earlier, Pilgrim's Pride announced it would close its Plant City distribution center on Jim Johnson Road and lay off 84 workers in May. The center is one of six facilities closing among the company's 13 U.S. distribution centers.

The shutdowns were attributed to the rising cost of feed ingredients.

Kmart4life

Winter Haven Albertson 'hasn't been performing financially,' official says

By Maya Carpenter
News Chief staff

Published: Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 4:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 8:44 a.m.
WINTER HAVEN - Polk County's only remaining Albertson's supermarket, the one near Spring Lake Square in Winter Haven, will close by late August, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

Paul Crate News/Chief Albertsons customers enter the store located on the corner of U.S. Highway 17 and Havendale Boulevard in Winter Haven on Wednesday. Wednesday July 30, 2008The store at 1965 Eighth St., N.W., (the southwest corner of U.S. Highway 17 and Havendale Boulevard) "hasn't been performing financially for some time," said Shane McEntarffer of Albertson's LLC.

About 90 employees will be affected by the closing, McEntarffer said.

The 63,000-square-foot store opened in 1989.

The Albertson's corporate office had been evaluating the Winter Haven store and determined that it wasn't meeting a satisfactory level of performance, McEntarffer said.

The store was evaluated on financial performance, customer traffic and shopping patterns, he said.

Shopping patterns tend to change over time and could make a supermarket profitable, but that wasn't happening with the Winter Haven store, McEntarffer said. Changing the store's goals and marketing strategy didn't work, either, he said.

McEntarffer said the store was failing financially even before the current economic slowdown set in.

The corporate office recently closed three other stores in Florida, McEntarffer said. They were in Palm Beach Gardens, Deerfield Beach and Orlando.

Albertson's still has 40 stores in Florida, McEntarffer said.

In June, Lakeland-based Publix Super Markets Inc. purchased 49 Albertson's stores in Florida. Out of the 49 stores, 30 of them are located in Central Florida, Publix spokeswoman Maria Brous said.

Publix didn't acquire the Albertson's in Winter Haven. A Publix supermarket is located less than a mile south of the Albertson's in the Northgate Shopping Center on U.S. 17.

maya.carpenter@newschief.com

FearlessSwan

Going out of business flyer from my local store.

MikeRa

The Albertsons stores in Southern California, Nevada, and Northwestern United States (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana) were the Albertsons purchased by SuperValu, along with sister stores Acme, Jewel, Star and Shaw's, along with the name rights to Osco and Sav-on.  The remaining Albertsons location, including Northern California, were bought by Cerebus.

The Cerebus owned Albertsons have been the ones that have been closing.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

FearlessSwan

My local Albertson's last day was Saturday. It appears the site will be taken over by Publix.

Joeg

were in Florida is your store closing?? will Publix re-open soon?

FearlessSwan

It's in Largo, FL. I don't know when it will re-open.

Mobil

10010 Cypresswood Dr, Houston, TX

Mobil

2250 Buckthorne Pl, The Woodlands, TX

Mobil

former Albertsons in Houston sold to Kroger:
5620 W Tidwell Rd, Houston, TX‎ (now Kroger Signature)
10010 Cypresswood Dr, Houston, TX
12400 FM 1960 Rd West, Houston, TX
9125 W Sam Houston Pkwy N, Houston, TX
8745 Spring-Cypress Rd, Spring, TX
8000 Research Forest Dr, The Woodlands, TX

the ones that closed:
19746 IH 45, Spring, TX (now Conn's)
10535 Jones Rd, Houston, TX‎ (now offices)
4425 FM 1960 Rd W, Houston, TX‎ (subdivided; half is 24 Hour Fitness, other half now offices)
12603 Louetta Rd, Cypress, TX (now offices)
4740 Spring-Cypress Rd, Spring, TX (main store still vacant; Albertsons Express now Valero)
7530 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX (now Linens 'n Things and REI)
2250 Buckthorne Pl, The Woodlands, TX (now Randalls)
525 S Fry Rd, Katy, TX (now Randalls)
10251 Kempwood Dr, Houston, TX (now H-E-B)
2770 N Sam Houston Pkwy W, Houston, TX (now Food Town)
9725 Fondren Rd, Houston, TX (now Food Town)
15875 FM 529 Rd, Houston, TX (now Food Town)

and these are only the ones I know.

Kmart4life

Closed Albertson's Sign with labelscar.
Pictures\Kmart Winter Haven Fl..jpg

ynkeesfn82

retailisking

I wonder if United will keep Topco for its house brand or adopt Supervalu's Essential Everyday.