Ames

Started by amesman, January 05, 2005, 01:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRJ22487

I've tried but my firewalls disallow me
You cant click and save those?
All of the pictures are separate jpegs

C. Fontaine

Alright, I'm adding these to the store locator as we speak.  I noticed you drove to the Claremont location.  Even though it was a vacant lot, were you able to get any pictures?

TRJ22487

I didn't get Claremont even though I went because it had gotten dark and there is no building there whatsoever, and they didn't plow the lot, the only evidence anything was there at all were the lightposts that still stand, otherwise you'd think it was a field. If I ever get back over there in the spring I'll snap a shot

XDeSuEhTX

Towanda, PA. Taken this year.

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

Another Dayville, Connecticut shot.

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

Ames sign. Elmira, NY.

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
Ames sign. Elmira, NY.

Wow that must have been a big store judging by its sign

C. Fontaine

You can check out the store in the locator.

XISMZERO

Great pictures indeed. A few years back, I was going to explore some of the remaining Ames in New Hampshire until I found most of them already moved on.

I wish we had a better way of identifying still vacant stores to clear up any that may no longer be.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

jmcnamara96

hahahaha i live in new hampshire i want to go to connecit and see old bradlees:cool:

XDeSuEhTX

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
Ames sign. Elmira, NY.

Wow that must have been a big store judging by its sign

That's the same size as our Ames sign was, it was a former Hills sign.

TRJ22487

Went to Walpole, NH today and got a picture with the road sign

C. Fontaine

Hmm someone pulled a fast one with the "TOY" sign!

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
A few years back, I was going to explore some of the remaining Ames in New Hampshire until I found most of them already moved on.

I wish we had a better way of identifying still vacant stores to clear up any that may no longer be.

I think that only Dover, Seabrook and part of Derry are still vacant.  That's too bad...

TRJ22487

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Hmm someone pulled a fast one with the "TOY" sign!

It's been like that since Ames was in it's final days :roll:

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
A few years back, I was going to explore some of the remaining Ames in New Hampshire until I found most of them already moved on.

I think that only Dover, Seabrook and part of Derry are still vacant.  That's too bad...
I used to go to the derry one and the one in Lowell sunrise plaza is  still vacant i remember the Lowell one had sloped floors:tumble:

patk

heres the Lebanon Plaza ames/hills in Lebanon  pa as of 2/8/09

:yup:

videogamer75

The Seaford, DE Ames, which has pics from when it was vacant on the photo gallery, is now a Big Lots! store. Here's the picture from LoopNet.

Mervyns

Has anyone ever seen this Ames commercial from 1996? Where the Mona Lisa is missing from the picture? One man says "Mona Lisa's gone, she's gone, she's far out". Then Mona Lisa is shopping at Ames, and this old lady asks "Are you a model?"

XDeSuEhTX

If this information is even known... What was the largest Ames in square footage?

videogamer75

Does anyone know what the store layouts were like for Ames' very small stores, like the Peterborough NH and Tilton NH locations for example? I just can't imagine a full-scale discount store operating out of such tiny buildings. I would appreciate it if someone had a store layout for any of these smaller-scale Ames. :)

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Does anyone know what the store layouts were like for Ames' very small stores, like the Peterborough NH and Tilton NH locations for example? I just can't imagine a full-scale discount store operating out of such tiny buildings. I would appreciate it if someone had a store layout for any of these smaller-scale Ames. :)

The Ames in Smyrna DE was small, being in a former early 70's A&P.

TRJ22487

Well I live pretty close to Walpole, NH and I'm pretty sure that was the smallest Ames. It didn't have a sewing section and I think that was one of the only ones to not. The front section was clothing....did Ames have jewelry counters? I can't even remember.
The electronics department was two cramped aisles full of decade old outdated products. Aisles must have been 10 feet long at the most. Ahhh...the annoying ding..
Shoes were definitely in the back
Toys to the left hand side of the store past Electronics...
Hmmm, it's been about 7 years and I still remember it kinda well!
Board games on the back wall behind the toys, I think that's pretty common though...
Yep, still remember that store pretty well
I think the Marlborough store had a similar layout, but it may have had sewing

The biggest Ames I ever went to was West Lebanon. It was also the nicest. I used to go to it just about every weekend the few years it existed

videogamer75

Thank you for that info! :)

Wow, only 2 aisles of electronics, haha. I guess they didn't have a very large amount of video games or CDs?

Ames did in fact have jewelry counters, they were small, and usually in the front.

Caldor1999

The Seaford, DE Ames, which has pics from when it was vacant on the photo gallery, is now a Big Lots! store. Here's the picture from LoopNet.  

wow that was a large ames
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

videogamer75

Great pictures indeed. A few years back, I was going to explore some of the remaining Ames in New Hampshire until I found most of them already moved on.

Actually, there is one fully vacant store left in New Hampshire, the Groveton location. To my knowledge, nobody has gone here and taken pictures (I mean detailed, up-close pictures) of it. Maybe you should visit that store when you get the chance. :goodidea:

This is from the Amesfanclub photo gallery
http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8836&g2_serialNumber=2

C. Fontaine

I would like to see what is going on with that one!

videogamer75

It's truly in the middle of nowhere, like many Ames were. The grocery store on the far left kinda looks like a Grand Union, also...did they have stores in NH? I know they were in VT.

TRJ22487

It's truly in the middle of nowhere, like many Ames were. The grocery store on the far left kinda looks like a Grand Union, also...did they have stores in NH? I know they were in VT.  

There used to be a Grand Union in Claremont, NH next to Ames

That Groveton store....are you SURE it is still vacant?
That is about a 3 hour drive one way from where I live
But I'm going to Lebanon today and staying the night....
That's about half the distance
I don't really have anything I HAVE to do on Saturday
Thought It'd be a pretty chunk of gas money to go to Groveton for a store that may or may not be vacant...

Anyone have an exact address for this store?
I think I could find it fairly easily but I haven't been there in like 13 years
I know I've been to this Ames, however

Thank you for that info! :)

Wow, only 2 aisles of electronics, haha. I guess they didn't have a very large amount of video games or CDs?

Ames did in fact have jewelry counters, they were small, and usually in the front.  

Haha yes, that was the final Ames I was going to in 2001/2002 (along with West Lebanon) and the electronics section was hideously outdated, we're talking original Game Boy games, WWF CD's from the 80's/early 90's, cassette tapes, etc

But I loved Ames
Now that you say they did have jewelry
I definitely remember what the jewelry counter in Walpole looked like
Right in front of the service desk, my mom definitely used to browse it

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by TRJ22487
That Groveton store....are you SURE it is still vacant?
That is about a 3 hour drive one way from where I live

It's actually in Northumberland. It became an Ocean State Job Lot. Here's the Loopnet profile: http://www.loopnet.com/property/15064175/583-Lancaster-Road/
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr