Grand Union

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fa152

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
hears a grand union super store i think this is befpre they stred doing the megasave idea

That's the former Smithtown store.. it was/still is a really nice store... Pathmark bought it operated for a short time, and then later sold it to Waldbaum's...  which is what it is right now.  Smithtown isn't really a Pathmark neighborhood.  Long Island had a few Super Stores.  The Deer Park one looks just like the Valatie location only much larger, the inside of that store was HUGE & gorgeous!  It is now a Stop & Shop... the inside is completely different (it closed in 99 before GU went out).  The inside was completely gutted.  The outside looks the same though, just painted gray.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by fa152
hears a grand union super store i think this is befpre they stred doing the megasave idea

That's the former Smithtown store.. it was/still is a really nice store... Pathmark bought it operated for a short time, and then later sold it to Waldbaum's...  which is what it is right now.  Smithtown isn't really a Pathmark neighborhood.  Long Island had a few Super Stores.  The Deer Park one looks just like the Valatie location only much larger, the inside of that store was HUGE & gorgeous!  It is now a Stop & Shop... the inside is completely different (it closed in 99 before GU went out).  The inside was completely gutted.  The outside looks the same though, just painted gray.

i think grand union should ahve spent time into reuding some of there older stores and or expanding them then i think they could have compeated with outher super market gintes like stop & shop a&p and shop rite

hears a picture of the stamford CT store this look 100% just liek the fopmer Mount Kisco Store whitch is now a stop&shop witch is were i work currtnley the store is clsoing in about 3 weeks after being there for 6 years
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hears a vacant grand union disterbution center in Mount Kisco Ny the sight closed in jan 1996 it is stilll vacant to this day but is on its way to be torn donw for a gotcart track sounds promsing :P
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

the sight now is more rundown then it was in these pics im gussing these pics were takeing sometime in the late 90's maby early 2000's but its more betten up then before and there are many ways u can n get inside of hear too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears a reallly tiny grand union in larchmont New York kinda small for a grand union it is now a CVS

all the pics above were from siteride
Caldor Forever!

fa152

Here's a partial photo of what the Deer Park NY Grand Union looked like...

fa152

I want to say this store is the Manalapan, NJ location... not sure though

fa152

XISMZERO

Cite, cite, cite. Come on people, start citing your sources and respect the images of the capturer.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by fa152
Here's a partial photo of what the Deer Park NY Grand Union looked like...

was tthe store still open when this picture was taken ???
Caldor Forever!

fa152

I came across these 2 commercials from the 80s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwo6L-Pu7JM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNcgM0NVO5Y

Clips courtesy of Brian Florence.

Anonymous

Don't forget Grand Unions in Middletown , Rocky Hill, Cromwell and Meriden Ct.  Grand Union in Wallingford opened in the fall of 1959.  Do you remember the old Mott's Shop-Rite across the street from the Hamden Plaza??

AmesNewington

Rocky Hill had the one only open for a few months (maybe even close to a year) during 2003. It was a former A&P Super Foodmart (before that Waldbaum's Foodmart). Grand Union apparently reused all of Foodmart's fixtures. Did RH have another one years ago?

Also don't forget Storrs CT, which also opened in 2003 and was also a Super Foodmart. It is still open to this day.

Has anyone here been in a Grand Union Family Market after the revival of the chain in 2001? What does their bags say? What does the store look like inside? I have seen a few photos of location's exterior shots.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Has anyone here been in a Grand Union Family Market after the revival of the chain in 2001? What does their bags say? What does the store look like inside? I have seen a few photos of location's exterior shots.

Yes - they looked just like they had as Grand Unions - most of them still even SAID Grand Union (unless the sign had to be replaced for some reason - like Hoosick Falls, which still has the Grand Union letters with Red Dot on the store, but a newer sign with the apple logo on the road sign).  

I guess the new owners (C&S) are just as much into (not) spending money as the old owners were(n't) - hence the fact that you can still find many old stores out there.

I haven't seen any of the ones they took over (like in MA), but I'd guess they still look like the A&P (or whatever) they were in the past, just with new signs.

Anonymous

Grand Union had a store in Rocky Hill Ct back in the late 60's early 70's.  In fact it was in the same plaza that Ames Corporate HQ was!!

Grand Union was pretty solid in Ct usually running #1 or #2 in the communites it served.

store215

Pictures from a Closed Grand Union in MA...Anyone think that this was NOT an A&P? :insane:
http://www.grafeauction.com/auctions/images.cfm?AuctionID=2056&State=MA&Page=1&RowCount=4

Joeg

Yes that was an old A&P before they closed/sold there Cape Cod stores.

I really loved the old Grand Union stores.

videogamer75

I found these Grand Union and Big Star VHS cases at my grandparents' house.

videogamer75

hears anouther grandunion i think i cant tell its teh the same shopping center as teh bradlees its in new city NY

This store was not a Grand Union, it was an old 80's Stop & Shop that closed a long time ago.

Mobil

Judging by the cars in the picture, this appears to be from around 1992.

Mervyns

This one looks like a former A&P from the side.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil

Judging by the cars in the picture, this appears to be from around 1992.  

na i wanna say somewere between 1995 and 1998 cars were still kinda boxy in 1992
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns
This one looks like a former A&P from the side.

thats the pic i took few years ago that grand union was in chappaqua NY its now a dgastinos as of 2006
Caldor Forever!

acme style

Are there any Grand Unions that are still abandoned as of today? Looks like alot of the ones on here have been converted to other stores. Even the one Carmel NY is something else now. I am looking to visit one and photograph it for my blog. Hoping for unblocked windows too so I can get some shots of the interior. Let me know if you know of any. I live in NJ so the closer to here the better but I imagine any still abandoned would be much further north. You can reply here or email me at acmestyleblog@gmail.com

Thanks!
Check it out... Acme Style!

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by acme style
Are there any Grand Unions that are still abandoned as of today? Looks like alot of the ones on here have been converted to other stores. Even the one Carmel NY is something else now. I am looking to visit one and photograph it for my blog. Hoping for unblocked windows too so I can get some shots of the interior. Let me know if you know of any. I live in NJ so the closer to here the better but I imagine any still abandoned would be much further north. You can reply here or email me at acmestyleblog@gmail.com

Thanks!

I can think of two (OK, 1 1/2 - explanation later), both in New York, and not too far apart.

#1 is just North of Rhinebeck, NY on Route 9 - it was taken over by Stop & Shop, but abandoned when they tore down a vacant (since the chain folded, so at least 7-8 years) Jamesway next door and built a new super store - now the GU building sits empty, kind of like repeating history.  Just north of the fairgrounds.

#2 is a little farther south on Route 9, just north of Poughkeepsie.  This is the 1/2, since it never was a Grand Union, but was intended to be one.  It was under construction about the time the chain went bankrupt, and was just left empty (and still is).  The only reason I can tell what it would have been is that an exact duplicate of that store DID open in the Albany area (for about 6 months - that one has since been torn down for a Home Depot) - it was labelled GU MegaSave.  The building is in a plaza with Home Depot and Staples across from Marist College.

There are probably others, but I can't think of any right now - the ones locally around Albany have been taken over by a variety of uses (other grocers, Ocean State Job Lots, Tractor Supply, torn down for a Walmart expansion, even a church in one).

webcookie

QuoteOriginally posted by acme style
Are there any Grand Unions that are still abandoned as of today?

Matamoras, Pennsylvania. It's in the same plaza as K-Mart. The sign is still up on the building and on the plaza's marquee.

Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

acme style

Thanks webcookie! I have been to that store before. Didn't know it was closed and abandoned now. It was a GU Family Markets after GU went under. Just the type of Grand Union I am looking for!
Check it out... Acme Style!

gu4ever

In April I drove through the Catskills to Tannersville, NY.
I found a very impressive free standing Grand Union store.
The marketing in the store windows shows the new "Grand Union Family Market"
and their private label brand "Best Yet" advertising.
One cool piece of marketing located in the windows
by the left and right hand entrances is the store hours.
This sign is unique as it is an original piece of the Grand Union store
marketing that they used prior to being bought by C&S wholesalers.
This store utilized the green and white dot on their marketing
to match the green shopping carts and green roof line.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.