Grand Union

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

Not much to look at in this photo but bread, however the bread sits securely on vintage red-wire racks from Grand Union.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

You always know when you dairy products are fresh by looking at the date stamp. Here's the Date-Line Dairy department sign at the North Creek, NY store.

nims57

Where was this Grand Union? When was it built? Does anyone know who took this picture, or what it is now?

DerangedHermit

IIRC, that was posted earlier. That's the Smithtown, NY location which is currently a Waldbaums.

Also, Stop & Shop completely and utterly renovated the former West Islip, NY GU. There's not a single vestige of that place anymore.

gu4ever

I went to the Grand Union in Middleburgh, NY a few times this year. This store is located on route 30 and still has it's classic street sign prior to the red-dot era and the store front has a vintage orange lettered sign similiar to Hardwick, VT.

gu4ever

I went to the Grand Union in Middleburgh, NY a few times this year. This store is located on route 30 and still has it's classic street sign prior to the red-dot era and the store front has a vintage orange lettered sign similiar to Hardwick, VT.

gu4ever

An exciting find for me at this store was the receiving sign hanging up behind the back of the store.  The sign tells Grand Union drivers to utilize the receiving driveway along the side of the building. Apparently vendors would have used the loading dock on the back of the building where this sign was posted.

gu4ever

As you enter the Middleburgh store the produce department is along the right hand wall. Here's a picture of the green lettered fruits&vegetables sign.

gu4ever

Aisle #2 at the Grand Union, only a few of these red signs still have the white stickers on them saying "GRAND UNION".

gu4ever

In aisle #2 an exciting find for me was one of the original red square dump bins still sitting on it's white pedestal.

gu4ever

At the Butcher Block, where it's a cut above!!

gu4ever

The red-dot RED phone......

gu4ever

The corner deli is located in the front corner of this store, it's department sign reminds patrons that they are "the best take-out restaurant in town". You can see in this photo 2 of the red scallop glass pendant lights still hanging over the deli case.

gu4ever

Another view of an aisle marker at the Grand Union.

gu4ever

You always know how fresh it is at the Date-Line Dairy Department.

gu4ever

This store was full of exciting finds. This is the only store I've ever found this still being used the red and white dairy price-point flip sign.

gu4ever

Well I spent a good 30 minutes inside the store shopping and getting some great photo's. Now it was time to head to the checkouts, nightfall was setting in and I still had a 5 hour ride home from this store.

gu4ever

Leaving the Grand Union, I had to stop and get a photo of the entrance and the store sign lit for the evening.
*note*
See the truck next to the recycle center? That guy was starting his deposit of bottles and cans when I went around back to get a picture of the receiving sign and then I went shopping inside for 30 minutes, looks like he still has a couple more bags left to deposit!!

gu4ever

As I got ready to leave I took a final picture of the classic orange GRAND UNION store sign lit up for the evening.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
As I got ready to leave I took a final picture of the classic orange GRAND UNION store sign lit up for the evening.

How old is that store? The Grand Union in Saturday Night Fever had that logo!

gu4ever

The orange sign arrived on the scene in the 60's.

nims57

Does 1966 sound about right?

And when did they change to the red dot logo?

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

1966 sounds right. The red-dot logo you will see articles that it started in the 80's, however in 1978 the Amherst, NH store opened with that logo... The first wave of the new "clean, fresh and good" image!!

nims57

1966 sounds right. The red-dot logo you will see articles that it started in the 80's, however in 1978 the Amherst, NH store opened with that logo... The first wave of the new "clean, fresh and good" image!!

I think the Grand Unions in Chambersburg, PA, Greencastle, PA, and Falls Church, VA opened in 1966.

Also, did GU ever have stores in Michigan?

gu4ever

I think the Grand Unions in Chambersburg, PA, Greencastle, PA, and Falls Church, VA opened in 1966.

If so they would have been old school 1940-1950 era stores. When Grand Union became a modern grocery store in the 60's they concentrated there market share..... Of course that continued till there is only 30 stores left!!

vtguy1989

On December 16th, 2009 Hannaford Supermarket annouced that they bought Grand Union (GU Markets) Grocery Stores in Swanton, VT and also in Brandon, VT. The Grand Union in Swanton is part of a little "strip Mall". Next door to GU is a Big Wok and next to Big Wok was a Movie Gallery that Just closed. Hannaford bought the entire building and is planning a remodel. Hannaford bought the store in Brandon so they could open sooner. Hannaford Plans on building a store in a different part of the town in 2011.

videogamer75

If so they would have been old school 1940-1950 era stores. When Grand Union became a modern grocery store in the 60's they concentrated there market share..... Of course that continued till there is only 30 stores left!!

I guess it was (and still is) easier for chains to spread to far-out areas if they're in small buildings, since they don't have to spend as much money on the building.

gu4ever

The last known red Grand Union street sign of the Brandon, VT store.
This location is now part of Hannaford's :(

nims57

The GU in Sharon Hill, PA was a Channel Home Center and is now Harbor Freight Tools.

gu4ever

Welcome to the Brandon Vermont Grand Union!