Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

how can they save it?

if layaway isnt listed for a store on the website whats that mean?

d_fife

Oak HARBOR WA, MEnomonie WI and Cheppa Falls are closing.

d_fife

kmart in Newport news is closing tooo

will they just be left with profitable ones?

d_fife

the ones in Marietta and Canton GA are closing too. why does so many Kmarts close around atlanta>?

bubcolbert1952

If the other Kmart in Newport News VA closes (actually in Tabb), I get the feeling most of it will become a Kroger to replace the small, outdated one across the street, but the already empty Super Kmart grocery section will become Total Wine or something similar.

bubcolbert1952

I think of Kmart as always having been the "stepping stone" from the regional discounters (such as Bradlees, Caldor, Jamesway, Ames...) losing domination to the modern domination of the retail industry by Walmart. Sam Walton studied the secrets that once made Kmart great and copied Kmart in many ways, beating them at their own game with Walmart. The early Walmart stores for the first 20 years of the company were awful though. I guess it wasn't until companies like Grant City, Two Guys, Woolco, etc started going out of business (followed not long after by Kmart slowing their expansion) that it occurred to Sam that he could kick the butt of Kmart, who must have thought they had a near-monopoly (which to be fair they did) many places, but stopped caring about their stores once a number of smaller competitors shut down.

d_fife

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/02/10/4016496/kmart-closing-store-in-murrells.html   near Myrtle Beach is CLOSING. Surprised? WHY? I went there and the mall is dead back in 2008

where you surprised WAterbury closed?

massachusets hasnt gotten closeings as whats there to close

this in Charleston is closing too
 http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140210/PC05/140219959/1010/west-ashley-kmart-to-close-in-late-april

d_fife

how long until Kmart has less than 1000 stores?

bubcolbert1952

I get the feeling a lot of both former Kmart and Sears stores will someday be supermarkets. While supermarkets often used to be small anchors next to Kmart stores, supermarkets have grown so much in size in the past 60 years that the average Kmart building is the perfect size for one (and Wegmans stores have set a trend by being almost twice as big). Also, it isn't that unusual anymore for the ground floors of former mall-type department stores to become supermarkets.

zonemad96

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 10, 2014, 09:56:42 PM
I get the feeling a lot of both former Kmart and Sears stores will someday be supermarkets. While supermarkets often used to be small anchors next to Kmart stores, supermarkets have grown so much in size in the past 60 years that the average Kmart building is the perfect size for one (and Wegmans stores have set a trend by being almost twice as big). Also, it isn't that unusual anymore for the ground floors of former mall-type department stores to become supermarkets.

Kmarts maybe but not sears, a lot of sears stores are mall locations and their not ideal for supermarkets.

BillyGr

This just in!

After the previous announcement of the closing of Kmarts in Latham and Clifton Park, they just announced that the Rensselaer (East Greenbush) store will also be closing, but not until May.

Leaving Rotterdam Mall as the only one in the greater Albany-Schenectady-Troy area (along with the couple outlying ones in Greenwich and Queensbury).

d_fife

d_fife

Winchester VA and North Raleigh NC on Capitol Blvd will go too. as will Berlin NJ

Zayre88

Just type "kmart closing" in Google News and you'll see dozens of closures...

Kmart is seriously going out of business one store at a time!

ynkeesfn82

Yeah and we don't need posts about every single location that's closing.

d_fife

Quote from: Zayre88 on February 26, 2014, 07:01:41 PM
Just type "kmart closing" in Google News and you'll see dozens of closures...

Kmart is seriously going out of business one store at a time!

Kmart needs to stop this!

Zayre88

Quote from: Marc B on February 26, 2014, 07:09:29 PM
Yeah and we don't need posts about every single location that's closing.

We can keep up anyway, by the time it takes to read, copy and paste that news here, another store is closing elsewhere!