Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

Here is a video of the new Stop & Shop in Chelmsford, MA.  It looks good.  What amazes me is that it has an older Stop & Shop building design, as shown in the video.  Does anyone know whether Stop & Shop is going back to that older design?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3mpFVIB-s

RoleModel

Quote from: standa on November 22, 2011, 05:39:25 PM
Here is a video of the new Stop & Shop in Chelmsford, MA.  It looks good.  What amazes me is that it has an older Stop & Shop building design, as shown in the video.  Does anyone know whether Stop & Shop is going back to that older design?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3mpFVIB-s

The outer design is old because from what I had Googled, Market Basket sued them in the middle of them constructing the store and dragged out the court case for 10 years.

RoleModel

Stop & Shop bought 3 Staten Island locations from King Kullen and they plan to convert them. I'm not surprised. King Kullen had no business being out of LI (they have no stores outside of Nassau and Suffolk aside from those stores, and haven't for a while), and S&S is probably the only supermarket in the NYC metro that would have been able to capitalize on these stores going onto the market.

retailisking

King Kullen exits Staten Island with this sale.  They entered the market with the purchase of four Waldbaums and one Pathmark that were sold off as a condition of the A&P/Pathmark merger.  Stop & Shop will only operate two of the three stores they are purchasing from King Kullen; the other store will be closed.

RoleModel

From Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-now-1.1732330/stop-shop-bid-for-gas-station-likely-a-no-go-1.3373282 (I think it's paywalled)

Stop & Shop wants to build a gas station in Amityville, NY, but Amityville Village says they will most likely reject it.

I figured with the Shell deal that their own gas stations in the NYC Metro area wouldn't be far off. Even if this doesn't go through, I won't be surprised to see others that will.

ynkeesfn82

I went to Stop & Shop in the Nauagtuck Valley Shopping Center in Waterbury, CT today. (One of 3 locations in town). Looks like they took a bunch of old Walmart carts and rebadged them. One side said "Metal Carts only". The other side said "Plastic Carts only".

nysw3636

Stop & Shop closer to starting construction in Hyde Park, NY. The former Ames was originally built as a Barkers Discount Dept Store, then Jamesway, and finally Ames...

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20120307/NEWS01/303070018/Stop-Shop-begin-building-new-Hyde-Park-store?nclick_check=1

BillyGr

Kind of surprising that they'd go to the trouble of doing that - the building they are currently in (which was a replacement ShopRite for the one also located in that plaza, at the opposite end from the Ames) isn't that old (Big V closed it during their bankruptcy in late 2000, and it hadn't been there more than a handful of years at that time, so still less than 20 years old now)

Not really sure why Big V picked to close it in the first place, given it's lack of competition (the tiny then Grand Union in town, which was going to relocate across from Marist - see empty building still there, as far as I know, in plaza w/Home Depot and Staples - until they too had bankruptcy issues a year or so later) and the colleges close by (still closer to one even if GU relocated) - most of the other stores they closed were the old (round roofed) buildings, due to higher upkeep costs (see the Poughkeepsie store on 44 and the Wappingers Falls store on 9).

They say due to a better location, but that seems minimal (other than direct acess from 9 vs the side entry currently, but it's not that hard to get into, is it?).

Scrabbleship

Quote from: BillyGr on March 07, 2012, 09:20:42 PM
Kind of surprising that they'd go to the trouble of doing that - the building they are currently in (which was a replacement ShopRite for the one also located in that plaza, at the opposite end from the Ames) isn't that old (Big V closed it during their bankruptcy in late 2000, and it hadn't been there more than a handful of years at that time, so still less than 20 years old now)...They say due to a better location, but that seems minimal (other than direct acess from 9 vs the side entry currently, but it's not that hard to get into, is it?).

It's not old but it is a bit on the smallish side especially for a store that was built in the mid 90s. That place has always had a cramped layout and can get crowded quickly and has been that way since the ShopRite days. Otherwise this is typical for Stop & Shop to upgrade if they have a chance.

I wonder if the identical sister location at the NY 55/DC 9 intersection in Poughquag is holding up since it's in a similar boat (only game in town) without a upgrade opportunity.

QuoteNot really sure why Big V picked to close it in the first place, given it's lack of competition (the tiny then Grand Union in town, which was going to relocate across from Marist - see empty building still there, as far as I know, in plaza w/Home Depot and Staples - until they too had bankruptcy issues a year or so later) and the colleges close by (still closer to one even if GU relocated) - most of the other stores they closed were the old (round roofed) buildings, due to higher upkeep costs (see the Poughkeepsie store on 44 and the Wappingers Falls store on 9).

As a former resident of Poughkeepsie, it bugs me to no end that that empty, purpose-built, space has sat idle for over a decade and NOBODY has wanted to fill it since it'd be profitable from Day One. For a combined city/town with over 75,000, Poughkeepsie could support a lot more than four full-service supermarkets and there has to be something in some lease keeping that spot vacant and Hannaford/Price Chopper/ShopRite away from a good money making opportunity.

Similarly, those two other ex-ShopRites you mention seem similarly hexed. The one on 44 is still vacant and the one on 9 took 4 years to be converted and the half that went to Borders is now vacant again.

BillyGr

Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 09, 2012, 06:33:10 AM
I wonder if the identical sister location at the NY 55/DC 9 intersection in Poughquag is holding up since it's in a similar boat (only game in town) without a upgrade opportunity.

I've been in that one (at least I think that's the one on 55 heading out to 216 to Stormville airport) - never thought of it being a Shoprite.  Assuming it closed at that point also?

Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 09, 2012, 06:33:10 AM
As a former resident of Poughkeepsie, it bugs me to no end that that empty, purpose-built, space has sat idle for over a decade and NOBODY has wanted to fill it since it'd be profitable from Day One. For a combined city/town with over 75,000, Poughkeepsie could support a lot more than four full-service supermarkets and there has to be something in some lease keeping that spot vacant and Hannaford/Price Chopper/ShopRite away from a good money making opportunity.

Similarly, those two other ex-ShopRites you mention seem similarly hexed. The one on 44 is still vacant and the one on 9 took 4 years to be converted and the half that went to Borders is now vacant again.

Good question on the GU site (was it ever advertised as a future GU?  I knew that by the look only since there was an identical one up here in Albany that did open (for 6 months - probably one of the shortest lived stores ever).

The wholesaler (C&S) bought most of the existing GU stores then re-sold then to others (as examples the one in Rhinebeck that became S&S or the Kingston store that became Hannaford) - they still operate some (25ish) in areas where no competition exists (Millerton being the only one down that way that I know of) and have closed many since when other stores opened in the area.  However, I don't know if they would have included a not yet open store, or if GU was just able to cancel the lease in bankruptcy.  Either way, you'd think whoever has it would want SOMEONE to use it, if not for grocery then for something else (not sure how finished the inside got, but even then a re-do wouldn't be that hard).

The old Shoprite on 44 would likely be used for something else (at least I'd think), given it's smaller size and age, unless a smaller grocery (Freshtown or Key Foods type store) but who knows - maybe the owners there were expecting Kmart to go out and allow them to re-do the whole space?

Also - when you mention 4 groceries in Poughkeepsie, I assume you're thinking of the 2 S&S (44 and 9), PC & Shoprite on 9?  I never remember exactly where the lines run as to what is Poughkeepsie and what isn't.  Speaking of which - any idea what caused PC to close the store that is now ShopRite - seems unusual as they don't do that often (at least not up here - usually any closing store is due to a newer replacement being built)?

nysw3636

The Grand Union across from Marist College was originally built to be a Mega Save Grand Union. Two things put the cabbosh on it. First, the poor results from the Albany Mega Save (not counting first month open) and second, their bankruptcy (from former GU people in the know).

Also (and again, from people in the know), Hannaford would love to open this store. I believe someone is paying rent/lease to keep anyone out. This is not the first time I have heard of this happening.

And, Price Chopper closed the South Hills location in July 2006 due to losing money in the end. The owners of the South Hills Mall were not showing any interest in fixing up the sad state of the mall. New owners now and Shoprite is doing quite well....

RoleModel

Yet another Stop & Shop opens that looks like a Giant-PA design, in Tarrytown, NY. I guess these are the prototypes for a potential future decor change at S&S, as other stores are still being opened with the purple and yellow design.

retailisking

Is there a distinction between the New York Metro Division and the rest of the chain regarding design?

Bdubs

They are remodelling the store in Colchester, CT right now.  From what I am seeing, it is looking like they are backing away from the purple and yellow, based on how they have begun to paint the interior over the different departments.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Bdubs on April 22, 2012, 08:04:55 AM
They are remodelling the store in Colchester, CT right now.  From what I am seeing, it is looking like they are backing away from the purple and yellow, based on how they have begun to paint the interior over the different departments.

Colchester"s S&S is what 15 years old....? I know it was built circa 1995...

Joeg

They are going to be starting the East Hartford, CT store soon.

AmesNewington

The Fenn Road store in Newington needs a major update. For such a high volume store, it looks worn and old in places. It is due anyway for a remodel. It's been 7 years since the last one (2005).

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on April 27, 2012, 08:47:54 AM
They are going to be starting the East Hartford, CT store soon.

The Charter Oak Mall store??  When did they opened that store... I think it was 2002, when rthey remodeled it that last time.

retailisking

Stop & Shop- New England has a new boss.  Kelley is well-versed in the New England grocery market and has worked at many of the players over the years. I ordinarily don't mention executive changes, but given that Ahold has stated that they're on the acquisition trail, and we know already what's up for grabs (*cough*Shaw's*cough) maybe something noteworthy could happen soon.

http://supermarketnews.com/ahold-usa/marsh-ceo-kelley-joins-stop-shop

The Griffin Report has more:

"In two major personnel actions, Ahold USA last week announced that Mark McGowan has been promoted to executive vice president of the supply chain for Ahold USA and Joe Kelley is leaving Marsh Supermarkets in Indiana to lead the Stop & Shop New England Division in Boston as its president. Both appointments take effect on May 21.

Mr. Kelley will run all aspects of the division. Stop & Shop New England currently operates 218 supermarkets in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and parts of Connecticut, and employs more than 35,000 associates.

Mr. Kelley, who grew up in Massachusetts and knows the New England market well, has more than 25 years of retail experience. Most recently, he was the chairman, president and chief executive executive officer of Marsh Supermarkets. Prior to working at Marsh, Mr. Kelley was the executive vice president for Price Chopper. He joined Price Chopper in 2005 as the vice president of sales, merchandising and marketing, and was promoted four times there over five years. He has also held leadership roles at Bozzuto’s, Adams Hometown Markets in Connecticut, A&P and Purity Supreme.

With more than 21 years of experience with Stop & Shop, Mr. McGowan will focus on leading a supply chain organization that supports all of Ahold USA and its four divisions. He will continue to establish the supply chain function as a source of competitive excellence, which will help drive brand, format, and merchandising strategies in support of the four divisions.

Bill Holsworth has been appointed interim chief officer of Marsh until a new leader is chosen."

ynkeesfn82

A lawsuit filed by a Buick Dealer ship over a traffic light continues to delay construction of a Stop & Shop in East Hampton, Mass. This has been going on for over 8 years now.

http://www.wggb.com/2012/07/03/auto-dealer-new-stop-shop-traffic-light-could-ruin-business/

Bdubs

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 26, 2012, 04:05:26 PM
Quote from: Bdubs on April 22, 2012, 08:04:55 AM

Colchester"s S&S is what 15 years old....? I know it was built circa 1995...

Sorry for the delayed reply, but it was originally built as an Edwards mid 90's. 
That only lasted a handful of years as Stop & Shop acquired the Finast chain.  When they converted that to a stop & shop they had such a short window to do so, much was left unchanged.  Everything was still set up like an Edward's until they did a massive remodel back in 01-02 to set it to the "up to date" S&S look.  This time around, they just did a refresh, new flooring, new paint scheme, signage, and that's about it.  Much was left unchanged except for the most drastic I noticed is a butcher section very similar to Big Y, in an open case, and 2 full aisles of cold beer, and 3 large aisles of natural foods.  No longer stuffed in a corner near a deli dept, but the first 3 aisles in the store.  Vast improvement. 
They have certainly stepped away from purple and yellow, and have gone more towards deep reds, light brown and tans, and faux rock inside to compliment some of the departments,

ynkeesfn82

The 8 year old Stop & Shop on Route 6 in Bristol, Connecticut is being remodeled.

ynkeesfn82

ynkeesfn82

FOX 61 News reported that the Madsion Ave Stop & Shop in Bridgeport, CT will be closing for good on September 20th. Can't find a link on FOX 61's website CTNOW.COM or on the website for the CT Post Newspaper.

scottw73

Quote from: Marc B on September 04, 2012, 09:47:59 PM
FOX 61 News reported that the Madsion Ave Stop & Shop in Bridgeport, CT will be closing for good on September 20th. Can't find a link on FOX 61's website CTNOW.COM or on the website for the CT Post Newspaper.

Found it on the NewsTimes website

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Stop-and-Shop-closing-a-Bridgeport-store-3842961.php

standa

The Madison Av., Bridgeport, CT store is still listed in the website circular.  Has the the closing been delayed or will it remain open?

retailisking

Quote from: standa on October 04, 2012, 08:08:22 AM
The Madison Av., Bridgeport, CT store is still listed in the website circular.  Has the the closing been delayed or will it remain open?

The location is no longer on the store locator pulldown, but the phone number rings through to the usual automated attendant menu. I assume the phone number has been forwarded to another Bridgeport store, because the Madison Ave. store is closed and there's a "for lease" sign on the property.

http://blog.ctnews.com/financialmines/2012/09/26/former-foe-missing-stop-shop/

standa

Quote from: retailisking on October 04, 2012, 05:15:13 PM
Quote from: standa on October 04, 2012, 08:08:22 AM
The Madison Av., Bridgeport, CT store is still listed in the website circular.  Has the the closing been delayed or will it remain open?

The location is no longer on the store locator pulldown, but the phone number rings through to the usual automated attendant menu. I assume the phone number has been forwarded to another Bridgeport store, because the Madison Ave. store is closed and there's a "for lease" sign on the property.

http://blog.ctnews.com/financialmines/2012/09/26/former-foe-missing-stop-shop/

The Madison Av. store is still listed on the circular.

retailisking

The Stop & Shop on North Main is still open...but that's weird that they would continue to put a now-closed location in their circular.