Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Went to ShopRite in Bristol, Connecticut yesterday. They now have a small parking area directly in from of their building for ShopRite from Home Pickup. ShopRite from Home operates out of space that years ago was Dollar Gallery/Card Gallery and much later Dollar Forever. They also have new shopping carts. See the photo.

Retail Regents

Bemises? I wish we had them around here instead of our ratty Unarcos and Technibilt Renaissances!

RoleModel

Quote from: standa on May 13, 2019, 09:42:19 AM
The Cromwell, CT Shoprite will open on May 18.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/shoprite-to-open-state-of-the-art-store-in-ct/554613/

I think they just googled for Shoprite for the picture of the storefront, because that's the Lake Ronkonkoma, NY SR.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: RoleModel on July 02, 2019, 12:38:52 AM
Quote from: standa on May 13, 2019, 09:42:19 AM
The Cromwell, CT Shoprite will open on May 18.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/shoprite-to-open-state-of-the-art-store-in-ct/554613/

I think they just googled for Shoprite for the picture of the storefront, because that's the Lake Ronkonkoma, NY SR.

I can't speak for the print edition, but the online edition of the Middletown Press doesn't even have a picture of the new Cromwell ShopRite. They have a picture of the owner, a picture of the KMART sign, a picture of the Xpect Discounts, the Cromwell Square Sign, and for some reason a picture of the former Xpect Discounts in Danbury.

Retail Regents

The ancient Shop Rite in New Paltz, NY is being remodeled. My feelings about this are quite mixed. Interior hasn't changed yet.

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on June 21, 2005, 10:45:42 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Shop Rite still exsists? Their were alot of them in CT. It was my parents first Grocery store when they cam to this country back in the late 70's. Their was one in Newington, CT, it closed before i was born, lol, its now a Data Mail company. Also, their arent any around me where i live, i have seen some in NJ. Where do they exsist?

From their store locator:
Bristol, CT Brookfield, CT Derby, CT Manchester, CT Meriden, CT Milford, CT New London, CT Norwalk, CT Norwich, CT Stamford, CT Waterbury, CT West Haven, CT

Newark, DE Wilmington, DE

Aberdeen, NJ Absecon, NJ Bayonne, NJ Bayville, NJ Belmar, NJ Berlin, NJ Bernardsville, NJ Bloomfield, NJ Bordentown, NJ Bound Brook, NJ Branchburg, NJ Brick, NJ Brooklawn, NJ Carteret, NJ Chatham, NJ Cherry Hill, NJ Chester, NJ Clark, NJ Clementon, NJ Clinton, NJ Delran, NJ East Brunswick, NJ East Orange, NJ East Windsor, NJ Edison, NJ Egg Harbor Twp., NJ Elizabeth, NJ Emerson, NJ Englewood, NJ Ewing, NJ Fair Lawn, NJ Flanders, NJ Flemington, NJ Franklin, NJ Freehold, NJ Garwood, NJ Gibbstown, NJ Glassboro, NJ Hackettstown, NJ Hacksensack, NJ Hainesport, NJ Hamilton Township, NJ Hammonton, NJ Hasbrouck Heights, NJ Hazlet, NJ Hillsborough, NJ Hillsdale, NJ Hillside, NJ Hoboken, NJ Jackson, NJ Jersey City, NJ Kearny, NJ Lakewood, NJ Lanoka Harbor, NJ Lawrenceville, NJ Lincoln Park, NJ Linden, NJ Little Falls, NJ Livingston, NJ Lyndhurst, NJ Manahawkin, NJ Manasquan, NJ Manchester, NJ Marlboro, NJ Marlton, NJ Medford, NJ Middletown, NJ Millburn, NJ Montague, NJ Montgomery Township, NJ Morris Plains, NJ Mount Laurel, NJ Neptune, NJ Netcong, NJ New Milford, NJ Newton, NJ North Bergen, NJ North Brunswick, NJ Northvale, NJ Nutley, NJ Oakland, NJ Old Bridge, NJ Palisades Park, NJ Paramus, NJ Parlin, NJ Parsippany, NJ Passaic, NJ Pennington, NJ Perth Amboy, NJ Phillipsburg, NJ Piscataway, NJ Ramsey, NJ Rio Grande, NJ Rochelle Park, NJ Rockaway, NJ Rutherford, NJ Sewell, NJ Somers Point, NJ Spotswood, NJ Springfield, NJ Stanhope, NJ Stirling, NJ Succasunna, NJ Toms River, NJ Union, NJ Upper Deerfield, NJ Vineland, NJ Washington, NJ Watchung, NJ Wayne, NJ West Caldwell, NJ West Long Branch, NJ West Milford, NJ West Orange, NJ Wharton, NJ Williamstown, NJ Willingboro, NJ Woodbridge, NJ Woodbury, NJ

Bay Shore, NY Bedford Hills, NY Brooklyn, NY Carmel, NY Chester, NY Croton Hudson, NY Ellenville, NY Fishkill, NY Garnerville, NY Hauppauge, NY Hudson, NY Kingston, NY Liberty, NY Middletown, NY Monroe, NY Montgomery, NY Monticello, NY New City, NY New Paltz, NY Newburgh, NY Pearl River, NY Peeksill, NY Plainview, NY Staten Island, NY Tallman, NY Thornwood, NY Vails Gate, NY Warwick, NY West Babylon, NY West Haverstraw, NY West Nyack, NY Yonkers, NY

Brodheadsville, PA East Norriton, PA Eddystone, PA Fairless Hills, PA Philadelphia, PA Stroudsburg, PA Warminster, PA West Chester, PA
Multiple locations in Philadelphia, PA, by different owners, under the ShopRite and The Fresh Grocer names.

Also, a ShopRite in Bensalem, PA and Drexel Hill (Upper Darby), PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JimSawhill

Where was the Mott's (most Shop-Rites in the Hartford area were Mott's) in Newington? When I had physical therapy at Newington Children's Hospital, we shopped at Mott's in Wethersfield. I loved the swept roof design...the Mott's in Manchester had it, too. Mott's is not where the Shop-Rite is now...the Mott's is now a state office building...

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on August 25, 2019, 06:42:21 PM
Where was the Mott's (most Shop-Rites in the Hartford area were Mott's) in Newington? When I had physical therapy at Newington Children's Hospital, we shopped at Mott's in Wethersfield. I loved the swept roof design...the Mott's in Manchester had it, too. Mott's is not where the Shop-Rite is now...the Mott's is now a state office building...

240 Hartford Avenue. Where Data-Mail is now. North end of town. The Hartford line is down the street.

JimSawhill

Thank you...didn't remember that Shop-Rite. I thought Mott's in Wethersfield and Manchester were cool...

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 04, 2019, 08:53:13 PM
Thank you...didn't remember that Shop-Rite. I thought Mott's in Wethersfield and Manchester were cool...

We need one in town now especially since Local/Best Market is closing. Who knows if Price Chopper will even stick around for much longer.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on September 05, 2019, 05:17:55 PM

We need one in town now especially since Local/Best Market is closing. Who knows if Price Chopper will even stick around for much longer.

Isn't the Price Chopper where GEM/United Skates/Ames was located?

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 05, 2019, 05:52:11 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on September 05, 2019, 05:17:55 PM

Isn't the Price Chopper where GEM/United Skates/Ames was located?

Yes it is. Ames was one of my favorite childhood stores. I remember the closing sale in 2002. I sobbed the last day. Unfortunately, I've gotten so used to closings, I now realize that life goes on and that it happened for a reason (and I know the reason very well).

Anyway, Price Chopper doesn't seem to be doing well in CT. Vernon is becoming ShopRite and it would fit well in that building if PC wanted to sell the Newington store.

Bdubs

I’m hearing the Garafalo family is going to buy the Clinton location from the Capano family. The Garafalos just opened a huge store in Cromwell, and Capanos own the Clinton, Norwich, and New London stores. The Clinton location was a former Edwards, turned Shaw’s, turned Shop Rite. They haven’t done much to the store since the Shaw’s transition now quite a while ago, I know the Garafalos are known for their very clean and modern stores, hopefully they give it a makeover.

Joeg

That is some news!!!  I hope the Shop Rite in Vernon CT is like the one in Cromwell

Brammy

Quote from: Joeg on September 28, 2019, 04:43:23 AM
That is some news!!!  I hope the Shop Rite in Vernon CT is like the one in Cromwell

Very doubtful. Different owners. The one in Vernon will be owned by Waverly Markets owners of the Manchester and East Hartford locations.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

I haven't seen it posted online anywhere yet, but the West Hartford ShopRite will be shutting down on November 26th.
The Real Brammy

AmesNewington

Quote from: bjs203marc on September 28, 2019, 05:27:05 PM
I haven't seen it posted online anywhere yet, but the West Hartford ShopRite will be shutting down on November 26th.

That's because it hasn't been made public yet. It probably shouldn't be posted here.

retailisking

Quote from: bjs203marc on September 28, 2019, 05:27:05 PM
And now it's official
https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-br-shoprite-west-hartford-closing-20190929-fkbc6p5al5hazeiyd4xau3bami-story.html

Brammy

Look how they're blaming the State of Connecticut rather then admit it's their own gross incompetence that caused the store to fail.
The Real Brammy

AmesNewington

Quote from: bjs203marc on September 29, 2019, 12:32:56 PM
Look how they're blaming the State of Connecticut rather then admit it's their own gross incompetence that caused the store to fail.

If you think about it, they waited until the most convenient time to close, when all of these new laws are taking effect. They were looking for all the right excuses to fall in to place as to not put the blame on themselves. All along, they mismanaged the store years prior with bad choices. Not to mention the location itself was never that great. It started out as a beautiful and modern store. But why would any affluent West Hartfordite want to go to Kane Street?

Brammy

For those not familiar with Connecticut here's the scoop. More than 20 years ago Shaw's Supermarket proposed building a 65,000 Square Foot Store on Newington Road in West Hartford. The town turned them down, so they ended up buying the Edward's in Prospect Plaza on Kane Street on the West Hartford/Hartford line. In 2010 Shaw's sold most of their remaining Connecticut locations to Wakefern (ShopRite) and Stop and Shop. West Hartford was one of the stores sold to Wakefern.

So if you go down Newington Road in West Hartford in the year 2019, you know what you're going to find where Shaw's proposed building their 65,000 square foot store more than 20 years earlier? You're going to find a small shopping center anchored by a small Stop and Shop supermarket. The entire shopping center is 65,000 square feet. The same exact size that town of West Hartford told Shaw's they couldn't build on that property. That's a kick in the head. I guess my point is had Shaw's gotten built on Newington Road and gotten sold to Wakefern in 2010, ShopRite would've been much more successful in West Hartford.

Anyway, the Joseph Family will continue to operate the ShopRite on Route 44 in Canton. The question is for how long? Will they sell it? or will they shut it down? Time will tell. If they sell - who would buy it? Would the Miller Family buy it? They currently just have one store in Enfield. Or will a new member of the Wakefern Food Corporation buy it?
The Real Brammy

retailisking

Are we perhaps discounting the sketchiness of that neighborhood as a key factor in that particular ShopRite's failure?

standa

What was in that spot before Edwards? Was it Woolco?

I remember Waldbaums had a store in Elmwood years ago. What is there now?

AmesNewington

Quote from: standa on September 30, 2019, 08:53:19 AM

I think the ShopRite building was originally either a King's or Grant's department store. The Waldbaums in Elmwood became a Dollar Dreams store in the 2000s and was repurposed in to several mini shops (a small dollar store, nail place, a short lived Joey'z Shopping Spree, and short lived Blast Fitness). They just put in a thrift store too. The plaza is anchored by Price Rite.

Brammy

Quote from: retailisking on September 29, 2019, 07:51:47 PM
Are we perhaps discounting the sketchiness of that neighborhood as a key factor in that particular ShopRite's failure?

That's kind of what I was getting at with my post about Shaw's not being allowed to build a store on Newington Road. Since most of the Shaw's were sold to Wakefern for ShopRite, ShopRite would've ended up on Newington Road had the Shaw's been built there and I believe ShopRite would've done well there.

My other thought is Bishop's Corner. The former Adam's Supermarket in Bishop's Corner was still vacant in 2010 when Wakefern was buying up the Shaw's locations in Connecticut. Wakefern could've bought that spot for the ShopRite instead of Prospect Plaza on Kane Street. They probably would've done well in Bishop's Corner. The space was a short lived Walmart Neighborhood Market and is now a small-sized Target.
The Real Brammy

Bdubs

Quote from: retailisking on September 29, 2019, 07:51:47 PM
Yes, not only the location of the store, which lets face it, it may as well be in Hartford, it’s not the West Hartford someone from out of the area may think. It’s practically in the ghetto. The building is old, and it’s very dated, I remember going into that store as a vendor when it was Shaw’s and the place was in rough shape. It had never been remodeled from when it was an Edwards, and in the summer there was this very distinct smell of rotting garbage emanating from the garbage compactor in the back room.

AmesNewington

I worked at the West Hartford ShopRite from 2010-2017. This store always had problems. The family assumed they would do well here for the sake the store was in West Hartford (on the line) and would serve Hartford. The neighborhood around there is not great at all. You really have to know how to run a business down that way. I am so angry when I read the comments on Facebook. The minimum wage and food tax is being used as an excuse for the closure, while in fact, the store has been doing poorly for a long time. When I left there in 2017, they were losing sales. They changed their ad and product offerings to match the Fresh Grocer chain in PA (they took away a lot of the fresh bakery, and changed the deli and seafood) and raised prices throughout. Customers must have noticed this and shopped at other ShopRites if they were able to. The family priced the store out of business. They just had the perfect timing to make these excuses. This was a long time coming. It was a beautiful store when they opened, but the age of that building showed right through. They had a huge rodent problem (I saw a few run across aisles), it still smelled in the back room, they lost power at least twice and had to throw out all their perishables and start over, and also had several electrical issues. My last year there, the power had went out about 6 times in one week. It was pathetic. This on top of the fact they had so many incidents with shoplifting and the store was even robbed in the middle of the day last year just made this decision a bit easier. The one thing I will say is that they had some really good full time staff left here and played great music in the end. I will miss it.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on September 30, 2019, 05:18:49 PM

I think the ShopRite building was originally either a King's or Grant's department store. The Waldbaums in Elmwood became a Dollar Dreams store in the 2000s and was repurposed in to several mini shops (a small dollar store, nail place, a short lived Joey'z Shopping Spree, and short lived Blast Fitness). They just put in a thrift store too. The plaza is anchored by Price Rite.

It was a Kings... on the other side was a First National...

standa

How was Shoprite doing in West Hartford compared to the Shaw's that was there previously? In my area (Hamden), the Shoprite seems to do better than the previous Shaw's, but they often send $10 off coupons, so I am wondering whether they are doing worse than they had hoped.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on September 30, 2019, 05:18:49 PM

Wasn't that where the Caldor former Star was? I believe that was a Star and Food Mart. The Star architecture was cool!!!