Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeg

Has anyone heard anything about the new Shop Rite of East Haven CT??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on March 20, 2013, 05:10:35 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the new Shop Rite of East Haven CT??
Nothing more than what you already posted. Owned by The Garafalo Family and opening this fall.

AmesNewington

The Newington and Berlin sections of the Berlin Turnpike are like night and day. Newington has all of the stores and restaurants and Berlin only has spotty commercial properties, namely the plaza with Home Depot and Kohls and then CVS and a few other chain stores. Webster Square Road has great potential because of Morande Ford and Acura and Rave Cinemas. ShopRite would do extremely well. Foodmart closed because of the fact that A&P is a messed up corporation, and didn't have long term goals/plans for Connecticut. With Berlin, Stop and Shop opening around the corner did not help, but A&P did not do anything to improve Foodmart to compete. Plus, the plaza was such an eyesore for most of the current Foodmart's lifespan. The plaza became sketchy too with so many vacancies and neglect. Foodmart did have a following though. ShopRite is very similar to A&P.

ynkeesfn82

It's not that easy. You would have to find an owner to operate a Shoprite because I doubt Wakefern (SRS Inc) would own it. It won't be The Drust Family or The Joseph Family. Both have their plates full with their own 2 stores each.

By the way Rave Cinemas got sold again. They just haven't changed the name yet. Cinemark bought all the Rave Cineplexes in Connecticut and several other states. Cinemark owns Century Theaters where that tragedy happened in Colorado last summer. Would Cinemark move the theater into The Plaza?

Jstar1994

Not likely...the cost to renovate the current theater is way less expensive since the set up is there... the costs to develop/build a theater in that plaza is probably way too much for cinemark,especially if they are just expanding into the CT market.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on March 20, 2013, 06:42:45 PM
It's not that easy. You would have to find an owner to operate a Shoprite because I doubt Wakefern (SRS Inc) would own it. It won't be The Drust Family or The Joseph Family. Both have their plates full with their own 2 stores each.

By the way Rave Cinemas got sold again. They just haven't changed the name yet. Cinemark bought all the Rave Cineplexes in Connecticut and several other states. Cinemark owns Century Theaters where that tragedy happened in Colorado last summer. Would Cinemark move the theater into The Plaza?

I know this is not the theater section of Ames Fan Club, but is the Rave the old Showcase Cinemas? I would love to see Shop Rite in the old A&P!! By The Way, the old Rocky Hill FoodMart, who is in there now?

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 22, 2013, 10:09:39 AM

I know this is not the theater section of Ames Fan Club, but is the Rave the old Showcase Cinemas? I would love to see Shop Rite in the old A&P!! By The Way, the old Rocky Hill FoodMart, who is in there now?

Yes, Rave used to be Showcase Cinemas. I still think of it as that name.

The Rocky Hill FoodMart is now a Super Stop and Shop. It's a huge store. Sad thing is the RH store looked almost identical to Berlin and S&S demolished the FoodMart building and built their own store. That store opened in 2004/2005. FoodMart closed in 2003 when A&P did a large round of closings of the FoodMart stores (mostly in Northern NE), and Rocky Hill became Grand Union Family Markets for a very short while. GU used the same exact fixtures and signage as FoodMart. They only changed the sign on the outside.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 22, 2013, 10:20:34 AM

The Rocky Hill FoodMart is now a Super Stop and Shop. It's a huge store. Sad thing is the RH store looked almost identical to Berlin and S&S demolished the FoodMart building and built their own store. That store opened in 2004/2005. FoodMart closed in 2003 when A&P did a large round of closings of the FoodMart stores (mostly in Northern NE), and Rocky Hill became Grand Union Family Markets for a very short while. GU used the same exact fixtures and signage as FoodMart. They only changed the sign on the outside.

Oh, Thanks is Kohl's in the old Caldor's there??

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 22, 2013, 10:37:48 AM

No, it's Walmart. Kohls is up the road above where Ames used to be.

BillyGr

FYI - The 4th store in the Capital District (of NY) - the Colonie location - is set to open Sunday, April 7th.

Going past - the store looks more done then the gas station, so I'd guess the gas station may open later (as they did with the one further down Central Avenue in Albany).

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 22, 2013, 06:51:18 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 22, 2013, 10:37:48 AM

No, it's Walmart. Kohls is up the road above where Ames used to be.
Thanks I knew it was either Kohl's or wal-Mart.

Bdubs

The Capano family is renovating their Norwich store. Looks like a storewide remodel this time, I'm pretty sure this is the biggest renovation they ever had here since they moved into the location in the late 80s. The store has been the same since I've been a little kid.
It used to be a Zayre's, their original location was in the same plaza, opposite end, which is now a TJ Maxx. Currently the whole plaza is undergoing a face lift as well.

Joeg

Keep us inform and tell us when there grand re-opening is.

Bdubs

I just drove by today, and they ripped down the old upper facades off the plaza.  It looks like they may have put it up when they added Shop Rite on the end?? I'm not sure, but there were a ton of old label scars under the old facade.  Damn shame I never got any pictures.

Joeg

They seem to run a good operation, hoping they will expand into the Colchester/Old Saybrook/Old Lyme area.

ynkeesfn82

They're remodeling the Shoprite in Waterbury, CT. It moved from The Mattatuck Plaza into the former Price Chopper on Wolcott Street in 2008.  At the moment they're putting in more coolers. Maybe they'll do something with the former in-store Citizen's Bank, which closed in January.

Joeg

Also, the family that owns the Shoprite of West Haven/Stratford/Hamden, wants to move there Shoprite of Milford store across the street into an old theater complex, and make it a "concept" store.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on June 06, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
Also, the family that owns the Shoprite of West Haven/Stratford/Hamden, wants to move there Shoprite of Milford store across the street into an old theater complex, and make it a "concept" store.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2013/04/26/news/milford/doc517b4a91e7a11938028076.txt

P.S. When the new store in East Haven opens in September it will be Mr. Garafalo's 5th store.

Bdubs

With the Norwich remodel, they have added a pharmacy to their store which is opening soon. There is currently a Rite Aid (former Brooks) in the plaza as well
The remodel was a nice refresh, however, pretty much all the aisles stayed the same, nothing was moved around, as far as food goes.
New tile, some new coolers, and all new register terminals make the store a lot more up to date. They also did away with the 4 self-scan registers which were put in close to 8 years ago. Made them all manned stations.

Joeg

When is the Grand Re-Opening of the Norwich store??

AmesNewington

If the owners of Waterbury can invest so much money on that store, how come they can't re-do the outside of their Bristol store? It's very old and rundown looking on the outside, and it still has the old logo on the front. The inside is not so bad at all, but the outside is deceiving.

ynkeesfn82

In my opinion the Waterbury store is Mr. Tornaquindici's baby. When he moved the store from the Mattatuck Plaza into the old Price Chopper he got a larger store (an increase of close to 16,000 square feet) for less rent than what he was paying when he was in the Mattatuck Plaza. They didn't make a lot of changes to the old Price Chopper to make it Shoprite, but they still invested quite a bit of money into the store. It makes sense for them to start replacing the coolers. They're 10 years old now. Price Chopper opened in that spot in February (or April) 2003 and Shoprite moved in in The Summer of 2008.

ynkeesfn82

Joeg

Any word on when the Shop Rite of Norwich CT is going to have there Grand Re-Opening??

Bdubs

Quote from: Joeg on June 23, 2013, 12:33:48 PM
Any word on when the Shop Rite of Norwich CT is going to have there Grand Re-Opening??

Im not sure. It seems they had a couple setbacks, the new natural foods refrigerated case is still missing, all that is still temporarily in produce, and still no pharmacy.
Im going to assume they are going to do the facade of the store too, the whole plazas front is still undergoing a facelift.

MikeRa

There is a new Shop Rite that is gonna open soon in Lawnside, NJ.  It is located at 130 White Horse Pike.  This location first opened back in the late 1960's by Supermarkets General Corporation as Shop Rite.  In 1968, this Shop Rite, along with all Shop Rite locations owned by Supermarkets General, became Pathmark.  A&P closed this Pathmark Super Center location in 2012, and Shop Rite picked up the lease.  Here is a pic, taken by JSF0864 showing the conversion from Pathmark to Shop Rite:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

The Drust Family seriously needs to do something about the Wallingford, Connecticut store. I was in Wallingford today and popped into the store. It was overcrowded, understaffed, and cramped. Not only were there not enough registers open, they don't have enough. There are only 12 including the 4 Self Checkouts. It's kind of strange because Wallingford Shoprite is bigger than their sister store in Southington yet Southington has 17 registers including the 4 Self Checkouts. Serious Remodel is needed in Wallingford.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on July 16, 2013, 12:39:12 PM
The Drust Family seriously needs to do something about the Wallingford, Connecticut store. I was in Wallingford today and popped into the store. It was overcrowded, understaffed, and cramped. Not only were there not enough registers open, they don't have enough. There are only 12 including the 4 Self Checkouts. It's kind of strange because Wallingford Shoprite is bigger than their sister store in Southington yet Southington has 17 registers including the 4 Self Checkouts. Serious Remodel is needed in Wallingford.

I noticed this to an extent when I went there early last year. It was busy, but not overcrowded, but it seems like the store got a second-rate makeover when the switchover occurred. I expected Wallingford to be more in tact of the two stores. It looked 1/2 Shaw's, 1/2 ShopRite. Sort of like what Stop and Shop did to the Newington Shaw's. Also, you can clearly tell ShopRite painted over Shaw's green entrance and exit doors. When I visited Wallingford, the exit doors were rusting already. 

ynkeesfn82

It was so crowded there today that people were parking down by Sears Appliance & Hardware at the other end of the plaza and walking to Shoprite from there.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on July 16, 2013, 03:41:13 PM
It was so crowded there today that people were parking down by Sears Appliance & Hardware at the other end of the plaza and walking to Shoprite from there.

I think that has to do with Can Can. Does the Drust Family have Senior Day on Tuesday? We do in West Hartford. So that was probably why.