Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

It's not unusual for a supermarket chain to operate its own gas stations, but they are usually strictly self-service operations. Not so with one ShopRite gas station in the Capital District.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/blog/2012/10/shoprite-gas-station-offers-1950s.html

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: retailisking on October 03, 2012, 04:42:15 PM
It's not unusual for a supermarket chain to operate its own gas stations, but they are usually strictly self-service operations. Not so with one ShopRite gas station in the Capital District.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/blog/2012/10/shoprite-gas-station-offers-1950s.html

Cool! 8) ;D

Jstar1994

I wonder if there's any hope for Shoprite to move into the old A&P in Berlin....

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Jstar1994 on January 10, 2013, 07:44:52 PM
I wonder if there's any hope for Shoprite to move into the old A&P in Berlin....

Drust Markets, LLC (Shoprite Wallingford/Southington) was looking at the site a while ago, but as far as I know they're no longer looking at the site. Meanwhile Chase Enterprises (the biggest slumlords in the state) is looking at unloading the plaza for $6 million. We're coming up on 16 years since the fires and they never fixed the fire damaged store fronts.

Joeg

What about the old A&P in East Haven CT??

ynkeesfn82

Shoprite moved from West Main Street in Meriden, CT to South Broad Street in Meriden in 1987. The Drust Family Bought the store in 1997 (and moved it to Wallingford in 2010). Who owned it before and what was in the South Broad Street location prior to 1987?

Joeg

I was always a Shoprite, I think they had grand opening in 1989, casuing the old Wallingford Food Mart (now ALDIS) to close it doors.

Joeg

I was thinking, now that Shaws has been sold, do you think Shoprite will pick up any locations in the Mass/RI area??

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on January 17, 2013, 09:12:42 AM
I was thinking, now that Shaws has been sold, do you think Shoprite will pick up any locations in the Mass/RI area??

PriceRite seems to be Wakefern's growth vehicle in those states.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on January 17, 2013, 01:43:13 PM
Quote from: Joeg on January 17, 2013, 09:12:42 AM

PriceRite seems to be Wakefern's growth vehicle in those states.

The lines seem to be breaking down and the opportunity is there. Boston may be a bit too cutthroat but there is a hole for competition in Springfield and Rhode Island at least.

One ace in the hole if ShopRite ever did enter Massachusetts is that if each owner voluntarily capped at three stores, everyone could offer alcohol which is a huge leg up over other chains.

BillyGr

Quote from: Scrabbleship on January 18, 2013, 06:40:38 PM
One ace in the hole if ShopRite ever did enter Massachusetts is that if each owner voluntarily capped at three stores, everyone could offer alcohol which is a huge leg up over other chains.

So, that's the answer - only 3 stores in a given chain (or owner, to be more precise) can offer alcoholic beverages?

Always wondered how one grocery store had an aisle of wine while the one just up the street didn't even take beer bottles in their return machines, signs saying that they didn't sell it.  Thought maybe it was a town by town thing or something (as the two I'm thinking of are just on opposite sides of a town line).

retailisking

I'd think Price Chopper would be a more likely entrant to the Springfield market, for reasons I mentioned in the Price Chopper thread. Then again, Wakefern is already in Springfield with the PriceRite banner, so who knows...

Joeg

Just heard that there will be a new Shoprite in East Haven CT in the former A&P on Foxon Rd, opening in the fall of 2013, run by the Garafalo Family(who own the Shoprites in Milford, West Haven, Stratford and Hamden CT).

ynkeesfn82

Waverly Markets LLC of Manchester, CT (owner of Shoprite of Manchester & East Hartford) is appealing the city's approval of a Walmart Supercenter across Spencer Street from the store.

http://www.courant.com/community/manchester/hc-manchester-walmart-appeal-0131-20130130,0,1116170.story

I really don't know what Mr. Cohen is concerned about. Walmart Supercenter and Shoprite survive just fine side by side in Wallingford. Even with the Supercenter right next door Shoprite in Wallingford is out-performing the Shaw's that used to be in that location.

retailisking

It's the same old, same old. If you can't compete, litigate. Even if you CAN compete, litigate. Hannaford is suing to block Market Basket projects in North Conway and Bedford, NH - and the Bedford project is already well underway. Market Basket itself sued to block Stop & Shop projects in Hudson, NH and Chelmsford, MA. Neither suit was successful, but the Chelmsford project was tied up for ten years.

standa

Quote from: Joeg on February 07, 2013, 04:03:36 PM
Just heard that there will be a new Shoprite in East Haven CT in the former A&P on Foxon Rd, opening in the fall of 2013, run by the Garafalo Family(who own the Shoprites in Milford, West Haven, Stratford and Hamden CT).

I remember in the late 80s when the Foxhaven Plaza was being built and a coming soon sign announced a new Waldbaum's Foodmart and an Ames.

The ShopRite will be about 15,000 sq ft bigger than the A&P (previously Waldbaums).  I guess they are taking over other retail space too or expanding the building.

Also the Clinton, CT ShopRite started out as a Waldbaum's Foodmart years ago.  Then it became an A&P, an Edwards, a Shaw's and finally a Shoprite.

nysw3636

The Shop-Rite in Ellenville, NY has been closed since January 23rd due to extensive damage by fire. It will be closed for several weeks.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 07, 2013, 08:14:16 PM
Waverly Markets LLC of Manchester, CT (owner of Shoprite of Manchester & East Hartford) is appealing the city's approval of a Walmart Supercenter across Spencer Street from the store.

http://www.courant.com/community/manchester/hc-manchester-walmart-appeal-0131-20130130,0,1116170.story

I really don't know what Mr. Cohen is concerned about. Walmart Supercenter and Shoprite survive just fine side by side in Wallingford. Even with the Supercenter right next door Shoprite in Wallingford is out-performing the Shaw's that used to be in that location.

Maybe they decided to move across the street.. and build a better store then the remodeled 1970s Pathmark they are in. Yes, the Shop-Rite in Manchester was an old Pathmark. Remember the old Shop-Rite on Middle Turnpike, with the windswept roofline (the same as the Price-Rite (nee Shop-Rite, Nee Mott's) on the Silas Dean??

Joeg

No, he had his oppurinty(sic) awhile ago, that Wal-Mart swoop in.  I think this area needs a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

TRU7536

Quote from: Joeg on February 09, 2013, 02:45:44 PM
No, he had his oppurinty(sic) awhile ago, that Wal-Mart swoop in.  I think this area needs a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

I agree that Manchester needs a super center, but not two Walmart's in the same town or even so close to each other. 

TRU7536

Quote from: JimSawhill on February 09, 2013, 12:58:25 PM

Maybe they decided to move across the street.. and build a better store then the remodeled 1970s Pathmark they are in. Yes, the Shop-Rite in Manchester was an old Pathmark. Remember the old Shop-Rite on Middle Turnpike, with the windswept roofline (the same as the Price-Rite (nee Shop-Rite, Nee Mott's) on the Silas Dean??

I actually live bw the SS and shoprite in Manchester and have become such a fan of shoprite. You can tell the shoprite on Spencer Street is old, but dust know it was a old PathMark. When did it move in?

BillyGr

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 09, 2013, 03:17:11 PM

I actually live bw the SS and shoprite in Manchester and have become such a fan of shoprite. You can tell the shoprite on Spencer Street is old, but dust know it was a old PathMark. When did it move in?

But - was the PathMark a ShopRite before it became PathMark?

I don't know if they had stores in CT at the time, but if you read the history, the original PathMark stores were a member of the ShopRite cooperative that decided to break off on their own and thus had to change their name, deciding on the Pathmark name.

Joeg

I think this orginally a Pathmark and opened in 1975.  I don't know when the converted to ShopRite.

ynkeesfn82

It's been 21 years since the closed the original Shoprite in Southington, CT along with the ones in Torrington and Bloomfield, CT.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 09, 2013, 03:17:11 PM

the plaza was opened around 1971. Besides Pathmark, it had Bonanza and Shoe Town.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: nysw3636 on February 08, 2013, 10:33:51 AM
The Shop-Rite in Ellenville, NY has been closed since January 23rd due to extensive damage by fire. It will be closed for several weeks.

Shoprite's Facebook page posted yesterday that they hope to have the store back open sometime this spring. Also what was the cause of the fire?

nysw3636

Quote from: Marc B on February 22, 2013, 09:16:16 AM
Quote from: nysw3636 on February 08, 2013, 10:33:51 AM

Shoprite's Facebook page posted yesterday that they hope to have the store back open sometime this spring. Also what was the cause of the fire?

Cause of the fire was a overheated microwave oven in the back of the store. Here is link with some more info on what Shop-Rite is doing to help customers out until they reopen it. Also, there is Peter's Market that is a few miles up the road from Shop-Rite that has really picked up in business. I'm pretty sure it is supplied by Shur-fine, but 100% on that.

http://www.gunkjournal.com/2013/01/31/news/1301310.html

Jstar1994

If only shoprite could do the same in the berlin a&p

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Jstar1994 on March 20, 2013, 12:00:40 AM
If only shoprite could do the same in the berlin a&p

Would be nice. Step one of course would get someone to buy the plaza. If they fix up the plaza maybe things good things will happen to that part of Berlin. Never knew until a few weeks ago when I was driving in that area that that whole section of Berlin is rundown. Lots of empty and abandoned commercial properties.