Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The new Albany, NY ShopRite was mobbed on opening day. I wonder on the basis of the Times Union photos if parking is adequate even for typical store traffic. The All Over Albany site has some terrific photos showing the store in great detail. I haven't seen cereal merchandised like that since Market Basket was still called DeMoulas!

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/New-ShopRite-draws-a-crowd-3514170.php
http://albany.wnyt.com/news/news/129614-shoprite-opens-albany-thursday
http://cbs6albany.com/news/features/news-county-albany/stories/vid_62.shtml
http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/story/New-ShopRite-opens/xkVvWsBLbUaMHRrDS2xdjA.cspx
http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2012/04/24/checking-out-the-new-albany-shoprite

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 27, 2012, 05:20:02 PM
Is it? I thought S&S had the lease for 2 years, which would run until October of this year. Good things could happen for the plaza if they fixed it up. Food Mart was a huge store. They would have plenty of space.

They updated the property brochure and it now shows the old A&P as being available. 60,243 Square Feet.

http://www.atlanticretail.com/images/content/BerlinCT_WebsterSquare.pdf

Joeg

That would be great if the Drust Family picks up the old A&P in Berlin, CT, though they will have to do ALOT of remodeling!

Any word on an East Haven Shoprite??

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 27, 2012, 11:15:17 PM
Is it? I thought S&S had the lease for 2 years, which would run until October of this year. Good things could happen for the plaza if they fixed it up. Food Mart was a huge store. They would have plenty of space.

They updated the property brochure and it now shows the old A&P as being available. 60,243 Square Feet.

I hope Webster Square will be fixed up... 'It seems the old Office Max (next to the Stop and Shop) is empty.

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on May 01, 2012, 04:22:10 PM

I hope Webster Square will be fixed up... 'It seems the old Office Max (next to the Stop and Shop) is empty.

The space that housed Office Max in Newington had become Office Depot for a few years, but they closed a few years ago. Since then, it has only been used for a Halloween store in the fall. So many stores can go in there. The whole plaza needs a bit of a facelift. From the Office Max space right on down to the end hasn't seen an update since it originally opened in 1996. Bob's is the only space to get an update which was 2004 when it opened (it was Media Play). Petco, Party City and Michael's haven't changed their signs since they opened. All three have newer updated logos and should be changed on the facades. Stop and Shop looks too deformed if you ask me. It has always looked like they are just set up in Shaw's space. It's cheap looking. Not to mention the interior of the store is the original one from 1996.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on May 01, 2012, 05:18:50 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on May 01, 2012, 04:22:10 PM

The space that housed Office Max in Newington had become Office Depot for a few years, but they closed a few years ago. Since then, it has only been used for a Halloween store in the fall. So many stores can go in there. The whole plaza needs a bit of a facelift. From the Office Max space right on down to the end hasn't seen an update since it originally opened in 1996. Bob's is the only space to get an update which was 2004 when it opened (it was Media Play). Petco, Party City and Michael's haven't changed their signs since they opened. All three have newer updated logos and should be changed on the facades. Stop and Shop looks too deformed if you ask me. It has always looked like they are just set up in Shaw's space. It's cheap looking. Not to mention the interior of the store is the original one from 1996.

So If I visit the plaza... I wouldn't be in a time machine??

Joeg

So.....any word on any new ShopRites opening in CT/W Mass??

retailisking

retailisking

One of the worst "food deserts" in the country (which got that way for reasons too numerous and complex to get into here - google it) is turning to ShopRite for inspiration:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120524/OPINION05/205240428/Guest-commentary-Help-grow-Detroit-s-food-market-choices

Joeg

Now that WalMart is looking into the old Shaws in Bristol, what about the old A&P in Berlin and the Shaws in New Britain CT turning into ShopRite's??  Any word on Shoprite opening in East Haven CT??

AmesNewington

It would be nice to see ShopRite take over A&P/Foodmart in Berlin. They would have to extensively renovate the building. Plus, it sits in such a rundown plaza, the owners would have to work with SR to spruce it up. They need to fill in the empty hole left by Woolworth's in 1997. There is also a portion that once housed the movie theater that is fire damaged that needs to be torn down as well. Harbor Freight Tools, Ocean State Job Lot and Family Dollar seem to do very well though in the plaza.

I heard SR wasn't interested in New Britain because of the area the store is in. It's not a bad area, but not the best. It does have good visibility from Route 9 though. It's also below the New Britain DMV facility. One other factor is that is has competition from Stop and Shop in NB, and Big Y in Plainville.

ynkeesfn82

Stop & Shop should move into the former Shaw's in New Britain from their location further down West Main Street on the corner of Corbin Avenue. Here's why. Stop & Shop just bought the gas station next door to the former Shaw's. Shoprite then could move into the spot of the corner of West Main & Corbin Ave.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on May 13, 2012, 07:30:04 AM

Nothing official, but now there are rumors of Cheshire. I'm hearing they're buying the now-defunct "Everybody's Supermarket", expanding the building and opening there. Of course if you ask me Cheshire will canabilize both Wallingford and Southington.

standa

Quote from: Marc B on June 13, 2012, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: Joeg on May 13, 2012, 07:30:04 AM

Nothing official, but now there are rumors of Cheshire. I'm hearing they're buying the now-defunct "Everybody's Supermarket", expanding the building and opening there. Of course if you ask me Cheshire will canabilize both Wallingford and Southington.

Since when is Everybody's defunct?  I saw their circular recently and they seemed quite alive.  Anyhow their store is close to the Hamden border, so a Shoprite may also compete with the Hamden Shoprite.  Is Shoprite trying to have a store in just about every town, like Stop & Shop?  I know it's still far from that, but they seem to be expanding a lot recently.  Another question - Does any Shoprite in CT have a food court or cafe with seating.  I noticed it in NY Stores but I am not aware of it in CT.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: standa on June 14, 2012, 08:20:02 AM
Does any Shoprite in CT have a food court or cafe with seating.  I noticed it in NY Stores but I am not aware of it in CT.

Yes. Ours in Southington does.

Joeg

I think the best expansion route would be the Old Berlin A&P, and the Old Middletown A&P for the Drust family to expand there footprint.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on June 14, 2012, 03:51:36 PM
Does any Shoprite in CT have a food court or cafe with seating.  I noticed it in NY Stores but I am not aware of it in CT.

Oh yeah so does the one Paul T owns in Waterbury. They only have the Food Court because it used to be Price Chopper.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on June 14, 2012, 07:20:16 PM
Quote from: Marc B on June 14, 2012, 03:51:36 PM

Oh yeah so does the one Paul T owns in Waterbury. They only have the Food Court because it used to be Price Chopper.

West Hartford has a seating area set away from the small hot foods bar that they have. The one thing they don't have is a salad bar. I miss that from Waldbaums/A&P (which was good), but much like the self checkout wouldn't work there, the salad bar wouldn't either. Too many ill-mannered people shop there. I'm surprised they have the hot foods and olive bar.

Joeg

I don't know if any knows, but the old K-Mart in Manchester(Spencer St) is in the process of getting knock down.  Will Shop-Rite move across the street and build a new store??

ynkeesfn82

No. Within the past few years the Spencer Street Shoprite was remodeled.

Joeg

It would be a good move for them.  I don't think they want someone like Price Chopper right across the street from them.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on July 01, 2012, 10:09:47 AM
It would be a good move for them.  I don't think they want someone like Price Chopper right across the street from them.

So did K Mart get raised yet?

Joeg

Just went by the other day, still there, but all fenced(sic) off.  I really think Shop Rite should build a store there, it would be the biggest supermarket in the area, and really drive S&S crazy!!

Bdubs

It just doesn't seem like anybody is interested in developing a new retail outlet on that side of Manchester.  These buildings have sat empty for so long, you'd think somebody would have come up with a plan for them.

ynkeesfn82

The only confirmed Shoprite that's opening in Connecticut this year (or early next year) is the one in East Haven. Middletown and Naugatuck are still in the talking phase. New Britain in the old Shaw's IS NOT happening. Was told that is not a good location. They probably won't ever open in New Britain, but was told somewhere else in the city would be a better location than the old Shaw's.

Joeg

So East Haven is a go??  Which family will run it??

Bdubs

I know they were talking about doing a "Price Rite" in the Middletown location.  That would make sense, a full service ShopRite just would never work, right across from the Price Chopper.

Joeg

I disagree.  I think a full service Shop Rite would do great there. They would give PC a run for there money, just like the new one in Albany NY.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on July 12, 2012, 04:39:10 AM
I disagree.  I think a full service Shop Rite would do great there. They would give PC a run for there money, just like the new one in Albany NY.

I really think the Middletown A&P would be a perfect spot for ShopRite. However, I think Berlin would be even better. There's a big area that they can serve. Towns like Berlin, New Britain, Rocky Hill, Newington, Wethersfield, and Meriden can all have a ShopRite centrally located.

Joeg

Also, there is a Price Rite in Cromwell CT.