Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on January 18, 2012, 02:43:15 PM
Does any know if Shoprite is expanding into Middletown of New Britain CT??

The last I heard, they were looking at both the Middletown and Naugatuck A&P Foodmart stores, both of which are now leased by Big Y who is not operating them as supermarkets, just letting them sit empty. It would be a nice re-use of these spaces, especially ShopRite. The Middletown A&P is in a perfect location in a decent shopping center. Naugatuck too.

The New Britain Shaws was also a possibility. It's a nice building, but not a great location due to high shoplifting, area.

Joeg

That is interesting about Naugatuck.  Which family would own that one?  What about the A&P on Main ST in Danbury. which is slated to close??

AmesNewington

Isn't there a ShopRite in Danbury already? Maybe I'm wrong.

ynkeesfn82

No Shoprite in Danbury.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on January 18, 2012, 04:58:58 PM
That is interesting about Naugatuck.  Which family would own that one? 

The Drusts. (Wallingford/Southington). I had heard they were negotiating for the building. Not sure exactly when that would happen.

Joeg

I am surprised that the family that owns Shoprite of Bristol and Waterbury are not looking into buying the Nauguctuk(sic) store.

AmesNewington

I really can't see how any owner wouldn't want to open ShopRite in a town in CT. The store is a huge draw for shoppers because of the prices and sales.

Joeg

You are so right!  They need to open more stores in CT, maybe Western Mass??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on January 20, 2012, 02:54:27 PM
I am surprised that the family that owns Shoprite of Bristol and Waterbury are not looking into buying the Nauguctuk(sic) store.

He doesn't have the money. He invested all his extra money into the new Waterbury store a few years ago (the former Price Chopper). Overall it was a good move. He ended up with a bigger/newer store and is paying less rent than he was with the smaller location. This is also why Bristol has been so neglected. They're slowly starting to fix it up, but it is still a dump. Bristol also lost a lot of merchandise during Tropical Storm Irene last Summer. - No generator. Not sure if they had the same problem after the blizzard in October.

Meanwhile I believe that Wakefern really likes The Drusts (Wallingford/Southington). They let them have 2 new stores. (Moving the Meriden store into the old Wallingford Shaw's) and building the Southington store from the ground up in the former Shaw's. (They literally gutted that place down to 4 bare walls). From what I heard from my co-workers however is that Wallingford got all the new equipment and stuff while Southington got all the scraps and leftovers from Meriden. Not everything mind you, but some stuff.

Joeg

Well here's hopin they move in to the Middletown/New Brtian/Nagatauck area!!

Joeg

Any word on any new Shoprite's opening in CT/W Mass?? I know they are opening one in the Albany NY area.

BillyGr

Quote from: Joeg on March 28, 2012, 10:40:00 AM
I know they are opening one in the Albany NY area.

Latest reports are that the Albany (Central Ave) one will open in April (though I havn't heard a specific date).

They also got approval for the Colonie (also Central Ave/Rt 5) location at the current Otto car dealership (which will move across the road to a former Saturn location) in the past couple days, even thouhg there were quite a few objections from those in the area.

This one will have a gas station also, which is a first for ShopRite in the area (I can't think of any at all the stores I've ever seen in NY or NJ, though I'm sure some have them).  They won't be able to offer any special deals, however (like the PC gas program or such) until/unless they make those available to their other locations (so as not to have everyone coming to that location just for the gas).

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on March 28, 2012, 03:59:05 PM
Latest reports are that the Albany (Central Ave) one will open in April (though I havn't heard a specific date).
).

Shoprite just announced on its Facebook Page that SR at 709 Central Ave in Albany will open on Thursday April 26th. It's a 65,000 Sq. Foot Store and they will feature home delivery.

retailisking

ShopRite (and Hobby Lobby) may come to East Haven, CT - but they aren't ready to announce anything official just yet
http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/04/05/news/metro/doc4f7e3dbbb4362537551771.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Joeg

That would be great!!  I wonder what family will own it.  The area really needs a supermarket.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on April 07, 2012, 07:05:09 AM
That would be great!!  I wonder what family will own it.  The area really needs a supermarket.

Wasn't that (Foxhaven Plaza) the old Bradlee's/ Stop&Shop location??

Joeg

It is the old A&P/Ames Plaza.

standa

I think that store is about 45,000 sq ft, quite smaller than other area Shoprites.  I wonder if it will expand or open as a Pricerite, which is usually smaller.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on January 20, 2012, 03:48:56 PM
You are so right!  They need to open more stores in CT, maybe Western Mass??

<p>Someone should open Shop-Rite in the old BIG Y in East Hartford.

Joeg

I think it will be a Shoprite.  Price Rite would not do good in that location.  In regards to the old Big Y in East Hartford, I think a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market would be the best.

AmesNewington

Even though on the Glastonbury line, ShopRite is already in East Hartford. It would not only be nice to see the East Haven A&P become ShopRite, but it would also be nice to see them take over the Naugatuck and Middletown A&P stores as well. Big Y will never do anything with them.

retailisking

First look at the new ShopRite in Albany, NY that is opening tomorrow (4/26)
http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping/30358/first-look-albany-shoprite/

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on April 25, 2012, 05:03:56 AM
First look at the new ShopRite in Albany, NY that is opening tomorrow (4/26)
http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping/30358/first-look-albany-shoprite/

Nice store from the pics!!  I was reading some of the comments...someone hated the fact that CHEFS were at that Shop-Rite... That person would be happy shopping in a Florida supermarket...

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 24, 2012, 06:30:45 PM
Even though on the Glastonbury line, ShopRite is already in East Hartford. It would not only be nice to see the East Haven A&P become ShopRite, but it would also be nice to see them take over the Naugatuck and Middletown A&P stores as well. Big Y will never do anything with them.

Who owns the East Hartford's Shop-Rite?? Has it changed from when it was Shaw's??

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 25, 2012, 08:41:37 PM

Who owns the East Hartford's Shop-Rite?? Has it changed from when it was Shaw's??

They are owned by the family who owns the long-time Manchester store.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 25, 2012, 10:00:50 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on April 25, 2012, 08:41:37 PM

They are owned by the family who owns the long-time Manchester store.

Oh... the Shop-rite opened in 1970 as a Pathmark....next to it (now part of Shop-Rite was Shoe-Town and Bonzana was at the other end of the plaza. (Forgot what is there now... )

Joeg

I wish they would expand more in CT/West Mass.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on April 27, 2012, 08:49:48 AM
I wish they would expand more in CT/West Mass.

Newington would have been ideal for ShopRite, especially in the old Shaws. But, Stop and Shop grabbed on to it, and is still operating it after 2 years, despite the fact that there is a S&S in Wethersfield and Berlin, and the original S&S on Fenn Road, plus a S&S in Elmwood. It's such a waste of a store.

ynkeesfn82

Either of the two vacant A&P's (Newington and Berlin) would be good for Shoprite, especially now that the Berlin Store is on the market.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on April 27, 2012, 04:24:57 PM
Either of the two vacant A&P's (Newington and Berlin) would be good for Shoprite, especially now that the Berlin Store is on the market.

Is it? I thought S&S had the lease for 2 years, which would run until October of this year. Good things could happen for the plaza if they fixed it up. Food Mart was a huge store. They would have plenty of space.